How to Pronounce Samana

Status
Not open for further replies.

roothy

Dec 9, 2009
Just a simple question: How do you pronounce Samana? Which syllable gets the accent? I think the cruise line is mispronouncing it, but I want to be sure.....Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sah mah NAH = Saman?

That has to be an old Taino name, since it is in the History books seemingly forever..

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
are you sure its not S?mana lol........its spellt with an ? at the end but everyone seems to pronounce it with an ? at the beginning

roothy

Dec 9, 2009
Ok, I have a number of different replies here - but maybe you're just playing with me! Do DR folks pronounce it one way, and visitors another, or are there simply different ways of saying it?! In any case, one thing is certain - the person I spoke to at the cruise line did not pronounce it correctly, as he accented the middle syllable!

Sep 22, 2009
Ok, I have a number of different replies here - but maybe you're just playing with me! Do DR folks pronounce it one way, and visitors another, or are there simply different ways of saying it?! In any case, one thing is certain - the person I spoke to at the cruise line did not pronounce it correctly, as he accented the middle syllable!

Roothy, don't worry. It's Hillbilly's that's correct. The accent is on the last "a" and there is no salmon anywhere close :)

roothy

Dec 9, 2009
You guys are having WAY too much fun with this simple question I asked!!! Just out of curiosity, where is Sosua? I know where Santo Domingo is. I was hoping to visit there, but even with that new road of yours, I won't make it...not on a cruise stop, anyway!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So
SUE
ah

so sue me, but it ends in ah So SUE ah....

It is located to the west of Saman?, East of Puerto Plata...

Along the North shore...

If you have another question...send me a PM and you can avoid all this banter (HAHA)

HB

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
The accent is on the last "A". Say it like this: Sah mah nah'.

The people from the cruise ships tells me that the cruise directors and everyone from the ship pronounce it with all English "a". They say it like the abbreviation of the name Samuel: Sam anaw. This is completely wrong and they should learn to say it right.

I'm not a Spanish teacher or anything like that. I barely know the rules of my own language but I know how I hear it pronounced everyday by the people who live here.

roothy

Dec 9, 2009
Well, at least the person I called, who was just answering questions for Oceania (i.e., not the cruise director) got the "sah" right - he just didn't get the accent right!

Maybe I'll see what our cruise director does. Oceania is a cut above some of the other lines, so I suppose it's possible their crew is better informed!

aubiera

Jul 12, 2006
The correct spelling in Spanish is "Saman?". The accent on the last a indicates it is the stressed syllable. So "sa-ma-NAH" is the correct pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.