Dominicans in Spain...any stories or/to advice/share?

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
So, I'm taking my first trip to Spain early next year 2010...I?ve been to other countries in Europe, who are fascinated with categorizing me as a South African ?Mulatta? (not the greatest term, but does not bother me) however, I'm a bit wary with Spaniards ?behavior? towards Dominicans, I have heard many negative comments on this area, and I?m looking forward to them not being true. Anyone out there with similar doubts or experiences of being Dominican in Spain...appreciate "you" sharing :)

The Clear Enigma

Oct 24, 2009
:bunny:The surprising fact is that spaniards now are very,very welcoming of tourists,specially as of late due to the highest unemployment rate the country has seen in recent memory.So dear Willow take your pillow and be at ease,that nowadays tourists can be from Vulcan and there will be open arms awaiting.

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks much for replying to the post. I was hoping that 21st century would kick in someday around world...therefore, I shall take my pillow and dream of willows and enjoy the trip, culture and people. :p

Jan 3, 2003
There has been a rash of xenophobia across Eastern Europe. If you don't believe me, go to the US State Dept. page and read up on the country of your choice. I've lived in Spain (Madrid, Catalunya, Galicia, Sevilla). They do look down at those of African origins so don't expect love from the Spaniards. Most Dominicans live in Cuatro Caminos in Madrid and obviously stick out. Speak English and you'll get your respect but if you speak Spanish and look black, they'll look at you like dirt.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
For goodness sake Willo is going there as a tourist. She most likely will have a good time.

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
I really do hope to have good time. I'm also stopping by Gilbratar, but I believe the British are more tolerant, so I'm also looking forward to that. While in Spain, if I experience some sort of prejudice behavior, than I stand my ground.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have found on at least a couple of castillano forums that the Spaniards seem real arrogant, as if they are the only ones who know how to correctly speak Spanish. I have met some in Florida that seem the same way. Then again I have met a few here in Santiago and they have nothing bad to say about this country, then again they are arulado ya. Friends here tell me too that the Spaniards that come here seem arrogant - funny that when they were considered a third world country in Europe by many.

uptownblk

Mar 4, 2009
They behave that way towards Dominicans because of the language issue. Not to be rude but many Dominicans do NOT speak proper Spanish. I have friends from around the world including Spain and when we speak Spanish it sounds nothing like what many Dominicans speak. Also... my friends from Spain look at Dominicans as Black like the rest of the world with the exception of Dominicans; Puerto Ricans are more open to embracing their African heritage than Dominicans. I think it's some sort of self hate!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
It has to be more than a language issue...

They behave that way towards Dominicans because of the language issue. Not to be rude but many Dominicans do NOT speak proper Spanish. I have friends from around the world including Spain and when we speak Spanish it sounds nothing like what many Dominicans speak. ..................

So in your opinion it comes down to language issues. You could be right but I think it's more than that such as poor mannerisms and comportment coupled with the way they speak may be the cause of their 'mala fama' in Spain.

While I agree one hundred percent that the average Dominican speaker's Spanish is less than impressive, remember it's a remnant or variant of colonial Spanish from Spain coupled with elements from other languages during the colonial time. What I always find interesting are first impressions of people who have never heard Spanish spoken in the Dominican Republic or the Antilles for that matter which are usually the most accurate points of view. As well, if one has not heard Spanish from the Antilles for a long time but has been speaking with speakers from other countries and then hears a Spanish speaker from the DR, the differences in the spoken language are even more noticeable. The language issues could also be linked to where the majority of Dominicans in Spain come from in the DR. A speaker from the capital is not going to sound like someone from the Cibao region.

PD. This is a good topic for the Spanish forum if you care to expand on your perspective about language.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My cousins in Madrid never said anything, but I got the feeling they were not too impressed by my Dominicanised Spanish.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My cousin's daughter married a guy from northern Spain who teaches with her - his parents don't speak English, so she asked my advice [none of my in-laws speak English]. Long story short, she decided to buy Spanish Language CDs - I think Rosetta Stone. Her husband was very upset when he heard them, because they were not 'his' Spanish. He made her return them and get "real" Spanish CDs. The kind where they sound like they have a lisp.

I was a little surprised - my husband's family was thrilled that I learned any sort of Spanish.

On another occasion he and I were discussing Spain, and I sensed a similar disdain for southern Spaniards [Andalusia and the Canary Islands] where some of my husband's ancestors came from.

I wasn't all that surprised - northern Italians clearly and openly consider themselves superior to southern Italians like me.

AE

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Goodness, It's pretty hard to fathom that Spaniards think themselves superior to Dominicans, when no thanks to them and the French we the mix race that we are! I mean really, if I get any crap from these Spaniards and I'm going to be sure to be as arrogant as them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Goodness, It's pretty hard to fathom that Spaniards think themselves superior to Dominicans, when no thanks to them and the French we the mix race that we are! I mean really, if I get any crap from these Spaniards and I'm going to be sure to be as arrogant as them.

Willow, I don't care what ethnic group you mention - there is some other group that they feel they are above. Consider Dominicans and Haitians, for example. Probably vice-versa. And how many civil wars have there been in history - and even in the past 20 years - around the world. Lots of north vs. south in too many places.

Go to Spain and enjoy every moment - if someone acts like a jerk, smile at them and wish them a good day. Kill 'em with kindness. It'll confuse them and you'll be smiling. :cheeky:

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Willow, I don't care what ethnic group you mention - there is some other group that they feel they are above. Consider Dominicans and Haitians, for example. Probably vice-versa. And how many civil wars have there been in history - and even in the past 20 years - around the world. Lots of north vs. south in too many places.

Go to Spain and enjoy every moment - if someone acts like a jerk, smile at them and wish them a good day. Kill 'em with kindness. It'll confuse them and you'll be smiling. :cheeky:

That's a great advice and your are absolutely correct, I cannot go around thinking they are the only arrogant nation. I will make the most of my trip and enjoy the culture and history behind it.