How much to pay?

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
What's the best method to find out the going rate to hire an employee? I found minimum wage, and I checked out a site with job listings (cant find the link any more) but I'm wondering if there's other means as well that any one could suggest.

I'd be looking for people who are:
- Computer literate (not web/graphic designers or programmers, but people who know how to surf the internet)
- Fluent English (atleast spoken, preferably reading/writing as well)
- In the Santiago region

The job description is basically to work in an office on a computer doing various tasks that all hired applicants would be trained to do.

I don't want to be the dumb gringo who offers way over the going rate, but at the same time I want to be in the upper echelon of wages for jobs requiring similar skill sets to attract the best applicants possible.

Any advice is appreciated and if I left anything out please feel free to ask. thanks!

Nov 25, 2008
the price above means nothing when your trying to get the right people for the right position, prices given is for nonthinking positions
as the saying goes "you get what you pay"

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
What's the best method to find out the going rate to hire an employee? I found minimum wage, and I checked out a site with job listings (cant find the link any more) but I'm wondering if there's other means as well that any one could suggest.

I'd be looking for people who are:
- Computer literate (not web/graphic designers or programmers, but people who know how to surf the internet)
- Fluent English (atleast spoken, preferably reading/writing as well)
- In the Santiago region

The job description is basically to work in an office on a computer doing various tasks that all hired applicants would be trained to do.

I don't want to be the dumb gringo who offers way over the going rate, but at the same time I want to be in the upper echelon of wages for jobs requiring similar skill sets to attract the best applicants possible.

Any advice is appreciated and if I left anything out please feel free to ask. thanks!

Well, I think that english competency is what you re paying the premium for. Spoken, written and reading is why you d pay big bucks.
Now, lets see, Computer literate? Thats a big off also, because you d need someone who at least had a computer at home, so they would be familiar with the Internet amongst other programs.
In Santiago, You lll find many many many people. I would say offer a bit over the going rate but not too much. And since 9-10Kpesos is the average here(like $275/month) maybe throw a 10-20-30% premium on that just to make sure the person you hire is motivated to work for you and also reward them for the competencies.
BUT you have to be sure she speak, reads AND write english. Not just the peripherals but really has it down. In the pocket, so to speak.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two ideas:
1) Go talk to a director of computer training at INFOTEP, and ask him what he expects his graduates to make.
2) Talk to some high up at one of the computer schools in town (There is one across from the Cabral y Baez Hospital, just off 27 de Febrero, and ask them what English speaking, computer literate people expect.

My guess is somewhere in the teens...Good English will be the talent to bring the money. And, as a #3 idea, you might ask a professional head hunter, like Rebeca Espinosa, @ 809 580 1962, and ask for Ciencias de la Salud....Ask her if she can help, she's a professional in this area.

HB

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
As it turns out, I'm looking for a job, and I'm also in the Santiago area, I'm fluent in both English and Spanish, and very computer literate, If you'd like to, you can PM me your email address and I'll send you my resume.

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
Well, I think that english competency is what you re paying the premium for. Spoken, written and reading is why you d pay big bucks.
Now, lets see, Computer literate? Thats a big off also, because you d need someone who at least had a computer at home, so they would be familiar with the Internet amongst other programs.
In Santiago, You lll find many many many people. I would say offer a bit over the going rate but not too much. And since 9-10Kpesos is the average here(like $275/month) maybe throw a 10-20-30% premium on that just to make sure the person you hire is motivated to work for you and also reward them for the competencies.
BUT you have to be sure she speak, reads AND write english. Not just the peripherals but really has it down. In the pocket, so to speak.

Thanks, solid advice.

Moving2DR

Jan 9, 2010
Two ideas:
1) Go talk to a director of computer training at INFOTEP, and ask him what he expects his graduates to make.
2) Talk to some high up at one of the computer schools in town (There is one across from the Cabral y Baez Hospital, just off 27 de Febrero, and ask them what English speaking, computer literate people expect.

My guess is somewhere in the teens...Good English will be the talent to bring the money. And, as a #3 idea, you might ask a professional head hunter, like Rebeca Espinosa, @ 809 580 1962, and ask for Ciencias de la Salud....Ask her if she can help, she's a professional in this area.

HB

Thank you very much, those are some great ideas. I'll definitely give Rebeca a call, do you know if she speaks english?