Can you help? German in public hospital PoP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I was visiting someone today in the Puerto Plata public Hospital and was told of a German man that has been in the hospital for a while now without documentation, he speaks no Spanish, and is basically lying in the bed without sheets or care and apparently no family or friends.

I am not sure of his name or age or where he is from however if someone that speaks German would be able to see if they can find out if he has anyone then maybe he can get some help.

I myself do not speak German and if you know the public hospital he is basically being left alone and I don't know how much longer he has to live (I will spare the details on how he looked but it is not good).

I am hoping that someone at least has missed him or is looking for him. It is a horrible thought to be left alone especially there at the hopsital and in that state.

Can anyone help this man?

Reactions: mike l

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was visiting someone today in the Puerto Plata public Hospital and was told of a German man that has been in the hospital for a while now without documentation, he speaks no Spanish, and is basically lying in the bed without sheets or care and apparently no family or friends.

I am not sure of his name or age or where he is from however if someone that speaks German would be able to see if they can find out if he has anyone then maybe he can get some help.

I myself do not speak German and if you know the public hospital he is basically being left alone and I don't know how much longer he has to live (I will spare the details on how he looked but it is not good).

I am hoping that someone at least has missed him or is looking for him. It is a horrible thought to be left alone especially there at the hopsital and in that state.

Can anyone help this man?

I suggest you call the German Consulate and explain what you saw.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Tried and can't seem to get through. Not sure even if he is even from Germany-just know he speaks only German.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I can speak German so in the absence of anyone there being able to help, if you can get a phone to him then I can talk to him. Unfortunately I am on the South Coast so a bit far away. Pm me if you need my number.

Matilda

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hi, i am willing to help out, i speak German, dutch, french, english and spanish...so if you have a car and are able to pick me up then i am availalbe....
looking forward to hear back from you,
Coralia

Reactions: mike l

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Matilda - thanks for the offer unfortunately he is not in a condition to talk from what I saw.

Trouble will be determining where he is really from.
I will email and see if I get any response.

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Do you know from where he is brought in to the hospital? like from Sosua,PuertoPlata, Cabarete?
I will ask tonight at Central...a German bar here in Sosua if they are missing someone or looking for somebody ok?

Coralia

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Coralia - have no car - and am currently working however if you can get here I will take you him. I am home after 6:30pm.

I sent my cell number via text and can call later.

The story is that his girlfriend took all of his money and that his neighbour brought him in. Stories as they go have no idea if any of that is true.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Well. One person called me and nothing came of it and one pm?d me and that was it.

He passed away Saturday with no one there and no one to help.

A fellow human being shouldn?t have to die that way.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A shame none of the German community saw the post - there are many caring Germans here, but maybe most of them use a German language forum? It also highlights for expats of all nationalities the need to establish your community of close friends in advance of something like this happening.

Did you get a response from the German Embassy? Because for sure they will need to be involved now.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Lambada, thank you for your response.

I have heard, again rumour or heresay, that he was from Cabarete, had a house and yepeta, and a girlfriend. One version is that he was beat up or took sick but his house was emptied out and apparently the police have his papers. I have no idea what happened. Heard that the Embassy is to come and get the body.

I had tried to call and had emailed and gotten no response. It is amazing no one was missing him after four or five days.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The thing that should be learned here, is that the expats living here should take the initiative of LEARNING SPANISH and maybe this won't happen to YOU. I know a lot of them that can't speak any spanish, except for the typical: cerveza, gracias, chicka etc.... my opinion anyway
ps. sorry for going off topic

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
the comment was pointed at ALL expats, not just the Germans.....but if you know any Germans that don't speak spanish, relay the message to them too....it can only help....

ps...the comment I read on this board one time was "the dominicans should learn our language" is like a cab driver in New York telling you to learn his language...think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.