How will tourists be received now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
We are three Canadians who pre booked a vacation in the north DR beach area for Feb. Will we be welcomed for our business or should we cancel the trip because this island is in mourning. We have contributed to the relief efforts re the quake and truely our hearts go out to all affected by this disaster.

Hawk

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
We are three Canadians who pre booked a vacation in the north DR beach area for Feb. Will we be welcomed for our business or should we cancel the trip because this island is in mourning. We have contributed to the relief efforts re the quake and truely our hearts go out to all affected by this disaster.
Hawk
Whilst an admirable thought, do not cancel your hard earned holiday! The north shore is a tourist destination that has businesses whom, whilst realising the need for reflection and the "thank God it's not me" thoughts, also have to survive and look after their families. Good on you for contributing to the appeal fund but I fail to see how canceling your trip will make Haiti's plight any more bearable.
Enjoy your holiday and thank God for all the good things there are.
Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Your holiday will be the same as before, and very safe. You'll have a great time.

It will also help maintain the Dominican economy during a difficult time economically. Please don't cancel.

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Most encouraging Reidy, this trip is in part to honor my late wife who passed away in Jul/09. My wife and I fell in love with the Caribbean Islands on our first two cruises 2008 and 2009 and DR was to be our first non cruise, island vacation.

I have a wonderful supportive family and they have talked me into this venture with my older brother and my wonderful daughter.

Your comments were so very welcome.

Many Thanks
Hawk & Family

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Thank you Adian Bye for your comments, we will press on with our plans. Thats a wonderful name "Bye" my beautiful niece married a wonderful man with this same last name.
Sincerely
Hawk & Family

carib

Jul 16, 2002
vacation

As a resident here and sometimes on the north coast... do not cancel. You will be fine and treated well.
Life is short, enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carib

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Thank you carib, maybe this is why we love the caribbean so much, you are all so wonderful.

Hawk

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Will we be welcomed for our business or should we cancel the trip because this island is in mourning. Hawk

I understand your sensitive question, because of your own recent bereavement, for which profound condolences. I agree with the others, please don't cancel your holiday. In fact, it could be for you personally the best thing you could do. You will see the 'life goes on' attitude which is very much part and parcel of Dominican life. If you get to sharing your loss with Dominicans they will be most understanding, and no-one here will mind an oft repeated 'Mrs. Hawk would have loved this'. Sounds like you have a close knit & supportive family - you'll notice the same about Dominicans, too.

Have a wonderful time!

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks for the kind words Lambada, I have no doubt now we picked the right place and counting the days until we arrive.

I am sure we will make a few new friends while visiting your beautiful island.

Once again Gracias (Practicing my Spanish)
Hawk

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for the kind words Lambada, I have no doubt now we picked the right place and counting the days until we arrive.

I am sure we will make a few new friends while visiting your beautiful island.

Once again Gracias (Practicing my Spanish)
Hawk

We moved to the DR from England just over 3.5 years ago so still have a lot to learn but we have a small farm in the North coast area - if you would like to spend a 'different' sort of day away from the tourist areas, please let us know where you are staying and perhaps you could visit - there is no charge as other DR1ers will confirm.

We love to welcome new friends especially under rather 'pleasant and/ or special' circumstances.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am sure we will make a few new friends while visiting your beautiful island. Once again Gracias (Practicing my Spanish)
Hawk

There you go Hawk - you've already made one before you get here :) whirleybird, nice of you to reach out like that.

If you happen to be staying in Playa Dorada & play golf, my other half will doubtless be up for a game.

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Would enjoy hearing more about your farm. I am Canadian born but roots from Scotland. It must have been a big decision to move from England.

Here is my email address: mrhawk60@gmail.com

Cheers
Hawk

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Actually it was an easy decision but that is another whole story... look forward to meeting you and will send you an email tomorrow.

Would enjoy hearing more about your farm. I am Canadian born but roots from Scotland. It must have been a big decision to move from England.

Here is my email address: mrhawk60@gmail.com

Cheers
Hawk

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Whirleybird we will be closer to Puerto Plata, I know they have amazing golf courses there but I am not a player myself. Before I retired I did play in a couple of company tournaments and always won the "most honest golfer award" lol.

My older brother I am travelling with used to be an excellent golfer but with age it is a little beyond him now. My daughter who is also travelling with us has never played golf.

Appreciate the offer just the same.

Hawk

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Granca I did not get up as early as you but share that nice warm feeling. What a pleasure communicating with so many caring people.

If there is not already a local song called "Island of Love" there should be.

Time for el cafe

Best Regards
Hawk

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Hawk. I work with a lot of newspapers, so you can imagine how down I have been these last few days.

I really have to agree with all of my friends (above) as to this trip for you. As you can see, life does go on and we have to make it as good a life as can be.

If you want to see the real "Heart" of the Dominican Republic, I would be happy to see you on a Friday and take you over to Centro Leon...our major cultural attrraction...worth the trip...

We also have really good coffee....(and cigars, too!)....

So now you have two invites....ah to manage your time...

Be well,

HB

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
:)

I randomly came across this thread and I couldnt help but smile! :) Definitely got the warm fuzzy feeling lol :)

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Hillbilly yes I understand. As a newspaper man you are the pulse of emotional happenings and events both good and bad. Your pain is shared.

I wish I was staying for more than 7 days. Actually our first day will be consumed with travel as we will be a late evening arrival. Feb 9th-16th.

We likely will not venture too far as my older brother (70 this year) has skin cancer so it is important he stays in the shade as much as possible. We are staying at an all inclusive beach resort.

Our activities (my brother and I) will be limited. My daughter on the other hand will hit the disco and water activies and make sure the old farts make it back to our rooms from the bars.

Thanks for the tip on cigars, I hope to enjoy a couple and for sure we will need the good coffee after the all inclusive bars : )

I did pull up a couple of Centro Leon web sites, most impressive, I can see why it is a popular attraction.

I will keep Friday in mind and leave my email mrhawk60@gmail.com in case all agree to the outting, many thanks for the invite.

Hawk & Family

CruiseHawk

Jan 14, 2010
Chelley it is like we are all sharing the same embrace, what a precious connection.

As surely as birds have wings to fly, I feel it too.

Best Regards
Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.