Cheap Taxi in the capital

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
On my recent trip back from La Romana to Santiago by bus I had a student recommend a cheap taxi service in the capital. In fact, whereas all the other taxi services wanted RD200 to go from the Parque Enriquillo to the Metro bus station, these guys only wanted RD150. I called them and they arrived within 5 minutes. Try them: "High Class" Taxi 809-699-5111, 597-7000.

Maybe even more satisfying that saving RD50 pesos was dealing with other local taxi companies when I got off the bus at parque enriquillo to get to la estacion de metro. They asked me if I needed a taxi and I said how much and they responded RD250. I said, no thanks I'm going to call and get one for RD150. Then they told me the minimum tariff was RD200 and I said how much you want to bet me that I can get one in two minutes for RD150. They said no of course but much to their dismay up rolls up "High Class" taxi on time as I predicted. Of course I asked the guy out loud for all to hear if the rate was RD150. Just before I left one of the taxi drivers of the other companies said that I shouldn't be so cheap. I didn't say anything but the next time I'll reply "mejor taca?o que estafador". :)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The taxi drivers no matter which company they work for will try to take advantage of the customers, the safes way to get the right quote for a ride is asking the driver to call the radio dispatcher for fees, they can't refuse to do this as it is one of the rules of taxi the unions.
Before boarding a cab always make sure it belongs to a legally registered Taxi company. Check if the car have a CB radio antenna the name of the company posted somewhere and make sure the cab number is posted in the taxi sing or on the lateral rear windows when in San to Domingo, ask the driver for a business with his cab number on it and his cellphone number just in case you need another ride or you have a personal item left in the car.

JJ:ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apollo taxi charges the same or less, depending on the trip.
I paid RD$150 for a ride from Migracion to JCE and that is a haul!

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I DID LEARN THIS from a driver the other day: Apollo gives you the number and color of the car. BEFORE you get in, ask the driver his number; it should be the number given to you by the company. Just a double check for your safety.

HB

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Apolo is the # 1 radio dispatcher Taxi company with 1700 cars in Santo Domingo and 200 hundred in Santiago as April 2003 when I quit, # 1 in technology as the CB radios are equipped with encoder (identification tones) so that any time a taxi driver press the talk key the dispatcher can see the pic. of the driver and the car in the computer as they have files of each one of their cabs in the system.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The number in Santo Diomingo is 809 537 0000.

JJ