True facts about DR

P

Pib

True Facts About Dominican Rep. I Made Up Myself
(Or How To Explain Some Things To Dumb Foreigners)

A 1952 ?Cruelty Against Farm Animals Law? was passed to prevent owners from depriving farm animals from their freedom, thus farm animals can freely move along roads in the DR. The law does not specify however how drivers would avoid hitting them.

The secret ingredient in Presidente beer is the root of a plant only found in DR. This plant was widely used by the Taino for its properties, known to cause people to forget about financial problems and make them believe they are smarter, stronger and more attractive than they are. It is mildly addictive.

A rare imbalance of gases in Santo Domingo?s air causes car engines to slow down in certain circumstances. Drivers must constantly use their horn in order to gain momentum as the air expelled balances out this combination of gases.

For a period of 24 hours in 1916 Santo Domingo was declared a United States colony with the sole purpose of naming the important streets of Santo Domingo after famous American presidents. The Trujillo-Hall treaty prevented the re-naming of the streets. A monument in ?El Malecon? commemorates this event.

By law all Dominicans must serve as street vendors for two months to train Dominicans in marketing and customer service. All the vendors at traffic lights are currently serving their training time.

A study published by Harvard professor Hans Anderson, M.D. proved that Brugal has indeed aphrodisiac properties. The study also revealed that in a small percentage of users the intake of Brugal might also cause tendencies to start fights.

It is widely accepted that Bachata is an early form of the Austrian waltz. It has not being properly explained however how it appeared and became so popular in the DR.

In 1987 Cibae?o was accepted by the UN as a language. In 2025 it is expected to be taught in schools and probably declared the official language of the Dominican Rep. A few dictionaries are being compiled at the moment.

Contrary to popular belief, Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico are not separated islands. A narrow bridge of land that appeared 25 thousand years ago unites both islands. A conspiracy of both governments of US and DR have effectively kept the population from knowing this fact.

A

Abraham

Contrary to popular belief, Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico are not separated islands. A narrow bridge of land that appeared 25 thousand years ago unites both islands. A conspiracy of both governments of US and DR have effectively kept the population from knowing this fact

>
I may had by this but, is this fact true?

P

Pib

Oops, another one...

Believe it or not I have pulled those a few times. Makes you wonder...

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

Great Humor! Right On!

I enjoyed this. Well thought out, humerous, not hurtful. Keep up the exc. work. Perhaps, some day, write a book?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:Except, you can verify some, others not

Check this out PIB: The Dominican Immigration Department is conducting a statistical survey and an integration plan with the upcoming Dominican Census to come up with a real count of foreign illegal aliens. In fact, about fifteen days ago they went publicly to try to convince aliens to step forward and normalize their status here. It seems, that aside from Haitians thousands of European and North American aliens are in hiding in Dominican Republic for many reasons.

With the new survey forms being prepared for the Census, they feel these people will be more comfortable declaring themselves. But just to give you an idea, Sonia Vidal, from the DR Immigration Statistical Department informed me that we have, naturalized and legally residenced 2923 Germans, 1324 Canadians and 29,357 USA Americans registered properly from 1998 to 2000. She does not have prior numbers available now, because their data base is under study and not available for publication and she does not have 2001 figures. That alone is a total of 33,604 aliens.Considering that these three nationalities are in the top 10 in standard of living, this is mindboggling. How many more are in hiding? Why so many immigrants from so rich nations? If we extrapolate the numbers and one uses the law of probabilities, chances are these numbers are double. And that is just registrations in two years. So aliens of these nations who registered before are not in the count, plus the year 2000.

Is it land of opportunity DR style? Are these criminals running from justice? People running from underemployment in industrialized nations? Men and Women who cant resist the physical attraction of Dominicans? Husbands and wives who came to visit and found someone more attractive? Is business here better? What is it? If we count all other countries, how many are we going to uncover? Spaniards, Italians, French, English, Japanese?

D

D.D.

Nice and humorous

Very nice Pib. I love clean humor. I agree with the professor that you should write a book. By the way, I didn't know you were an economist as well. Saw your picture on todays economy section of Ultima Hora newspaper. Good looking too ;)

S

SCARAMOOCH

Re: MORE FACTS ABOUT DR

DID YOU KNOW THAT;

DOMINICANS EAT CATS, IN THE BARAHONA AREA THEY RAISE DONKEYS TO EAT

WHEN A KID GETS CHICKEN POX POOR PEOPLE BATHE THEM IN URINE

DOMINICANS GO TO BOCA CHICA ON WEEKENDS TO HAVE SEX UNDER WATER

DOMINICAN ARE THE BEST BASEBALL PLAYERS IN THE WORLD DUE TO THEIR MIXED AFRICAN HERITAGE,THEY ARE A BASEBALL NATURAL DUE TO THEIR FOREFATHERS HUNTING WITH A STICK AND A STONE

DOMINICANS WILL NOT ADMIT THAT HE WASHES DISHES IN NEW YORK, RATHER HE TELL HIS FRIEND HE'S AN ENGINEER

DOMINICANS ARE SICK OF EATING RICE AND BEANS THREE TIMES A DAY

DOMINICANS ARE NEVER PUNTUAL

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE DERAGATORY IS JUST PLAIN FACTS.

H

hillbilly

A good candidate for "Outstanding Post of 2001" Aw

Award. this prize is given annually to the best post, not deleted, on the DR1 BB.

Since it is a proven fact that good humor, which used to be just an ice cream bar in New York, is now extremely scarce, the above mentioned article is a sterling example..

And did you know that law 241, the traffic code to the uninitiated, was designed to allow people to talk freely on the public highways and byways. In fact, it seems that this code encourages chatting, especially on four and six lane thoroughfares, among people going in opposite direction that can conveniently meet at the center. And it is considered "bad form, old chap" to use hand gestures of any number of fingers, or words with less than five letters...

thank you PIB, for an entertaining few minutes. As always,
your friend,

HB

J

Joachim

Re:Except, you can verify some, others not

Pale in comparision to one million Dominicans living in the US and another 20,000 living in Canada, not to mention the 150,000 Dominicans living in Europe.

P

Pib

Everybody is a comedian...

I learnt from my father that if you put your straightest face and tell a lie 9 out of 10 people will believe it (he made up the numbers). I had "explained" in such fashion many foreigners' questions about DR,, I don't know why, but they have believed me. Others didn't, they were few.

D.D.: very funny, hehe.

HB: I liked your "true" fact.

Prof.: I am writing a book, it is called "The big fat book on things I have no clue of". It is taking longer than I expected.

Scaramooch and TW: You are off the point, this was about humor. Sometimes you are funny in a creepy way, but most times you are creepy in a funny way.

D

Duarte

Re: Everybody is a comedian...

Scara...is just creepy..and a bigot!!!

D

Drake

Scaramooch
I don't now if you noticed but Dominicans eat rice and beans only once a day... Where do you get your facts from as I have never met a Dominican who does not like his rice and beans quite the contrary actually. Most Dominicans are very happy to eat a hot meal once a day.

S

SCARAMOOCH

My friend and I ,every time we would go to some hole in the wall restaurant to eat (pica pollo)when he saw the rice and beans, he would comment that he wa so sick of eating rice and beans that he would eat yuca , fish,etc,. I like rice and beans.