Oh oh... FAA Investigating Dominican Airlines (Maintenance)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has launched an exhaustive investigation regarding maintenance of aircrafts belonging to Dominican airlines. The investigation is supposedly currently ongoing and the report should be ready within a month. Although some say these inspections are routine, reality is the Dominican airlines are being scrutinized much more closely. If maintenance issues are widespread in Dominican airlines, expect the DR code (HI) to be degraded and Dominican airplanes will not be allowed in the USA. That would hamper Arajet's plan to fly to the USA. The last time the USA degraded Dominican airlines, it took around a decade for the category to be increased again and Dominican airlines were allowed in the USA.

:oops:

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please be sure to post the results of the tests and if a ban to the USA ensues.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yesterday, Héctor Porcella (Director of IDAC) is interviewed by CDN regarding the FAA inspection.

Reactions: JD Jones

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A Dominican based airline that doesn't cut corners? Why would anybody be even remotely surprised?
I could post thousands of analogies but I honestly don't even know where to start.
All I'm gonna say is that if you booked on a Dominican based airline you have to know that after a month they are not getting anywhere near any country that has even the most basic safety measures in place. Unless of course you have a death wish, are trying to save a few dollars or want to visit third world places like Haiti.
Good luck with that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is not looking good. The FAA has ordered the IDAC to suspend all certifications of new airlines in the DR. They guy speculates this is the beginning steps to a degradation of category. The last time the DR was degraded, no DR registered airplane could land in the USA and it took over a decade to be upgraded again.

If this turns out to be what is seems, ARAJET can start to forget flying to the USA. Bain Capital might also leave, which could spell the end of the airline.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
This is not looking good. The FAA has ordered the IDAC to suspend all certifications of new airlines in the DR. They guy speculates this is the beginning steps to a degradation of category. The last time the DR was degraded, no DR registered airplane could land in the USA and it took over a decade to be upgraded again.

If this turns out to be what is seems, ARAJET can start to forget flying to the USA. Bain Capital might also leave, which could spell the end of the airline.

This is not good Nals. Suddenly all these airlines could be gone again. The government has failed on this. As always nobody cares. No oversight.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is all speculation at this point about the complete agenda of the FAA. It will inspect all aspects of air operations of the DR regarding international air traffic. This will include DR based airlines with routes to/from the US. It will also include inspecting the air industry infrastructure, the aircraft, aircraft maintenance, crew training/education, air traffic control, airport size, operations, and amenities; that all are up to code. The FAA mission in the DR is to make sure passengers flying to/from US are safe, not unsafe. No junky airports, no junky planes, and no junky attitudes allowed.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: chicagoan14

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From would I read that the pilot said I would also speculate the prospects are dim regarding the FAA.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is not good Nals. Suddenly all these airlines could be gone again. The government has failed on this. As always nobody cares. No oversight.
This is just for flying to the USA. Dominican airlines that fly to other countries on a scheduled or regular basis are to non-USA countries. The biggest issue here is for the plans of Arajet which requires flying to the USA for their model to be profitable and sustain the airline. Otherwise, they will have to re-register their airplanes in a country with a code that can fly to the USA or change their model to not include the USA for their sustainability. The last one means higher prices for tickets.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
This is just for flying to the USA. Dominican airlines that fly to other countries on a scheduled or regular basis are to non-USA countries. The biggest issue here is for the plans of Arajet which requires flying to the USA for their model to be profitable and sustain the airline. Otherwise, they will have to re-register their airplanes in a country with a code that can fly to the USA or change their model to not include the USA for their sustainability. The last one means higher prices for tickets.
They should change their model to not include the US then.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
They should change their model to not include the US then.
Wrong. "They" should just perform proper maintenance to protect their customers and their corporate assets. Flying is not a failsafe endeavor. If there is a mechanical failure, you fall out of the sky. If the airlines are found to be playing fast and loose with passenger safety, that will be the end of those airlines. Discount passengers can be rather foolish when looking for the cheapest flight options but if it is known that an airline is not maintaining their planes as they should, even the most obtuse passenger will realize they could win a Darwin award for flying on that airline.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Wrong. "They" should just perform proper maintenance to protect their customers and their corporate assets. Flying is not a failsafe endeavor. If there is a mechanical failure, you fall out of the sky. If the airlines are found to be playing fast and loose with passenger safety, that will be the end of those airlines. Discount passengers can be rather foolish when looking for the cheapest flight options but if it is known that an airline is not maintaining their planes as they should, even the most obtuse passenger will realize they could win a Darwin award for flying on that airline.
I agree with you. I was just thinking why should they try and compete with the US airlines. Just focus on the Caribbean and Lat Am. Or are the US routes also for prestige and marketing reasons. How did that Red Air airline get approved?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure they can fill planes often enough just hopping around the Caribbean and Latin America thus the need to service the USA, Canada, Europe where the vast majority of airlines passengers come from and wish to return to.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree with you. I was just thinking why should they try and compete with the US airlines. Just focus on the Caribbean and Lat Am. Or are the US routes also for prestige and marketing reasons. How did that Red Air airline get approved?
I am guessing they want to use the DR as a hub to take North American passengers to South America at low cost.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans living abroad would support Arajet more than the typical US airlines currently doing the trip (Jetblue, American, etc) and there are several things of Arajet that essentially removes what usually stops many Dominicans from giving a Dominican airline enough support (remember that many Dominicans, even the ones with firm muscles giving the impression they are macho men that can deal with anything are in fact afraid of flying. The only reason they fly to and from the DR to the USA is because the DR is on an island. There is practically no choice.)

1. Brand new airplanes with the latest in identifying any issue (an airplane can’t leave without that issue being fixed.) Only the MAX have this type of technology for now. This reduces considerably the chances of any problems along the flight minus turbulence (which Dominicans don’t like.)

2. Big and spacious airplanes. When Jetblue was starting, there was an issue with the size of its airplanes. They are not as the big one’s used by American/Delta on the SD-NYC, STI-NYC, etc flights. Those are probably the smallest airplanes most Dominicans would ever board willingly.

3. All stewardess are Dominicans and many Dominican products/offered sold on board (even the Coca-Cola they serve is made at their SD plant.) Believe it or not, Dominicans do have a preference for Dominican stuff. With the diaspora is more a nostalgia from when they grew up and/or lived in the DR as adults. For Dominican-Americans, they grew up seeing some Dominican brands despite they live in the USA since they were born, if travelled a lot to the DR as kids they remember seeing some of those brands while visiting the DR, so they associate them with Dominicaness.

4. A Dominican airlines that people can trust (unless something happens.)

5. The prices. Most Dominicans are very price sensitive. Notice that in the DR people view Caribe Tours as less luxurious than Metro, yet more people use Caribe Tours than Metro. The main difference are the prices, which aren’t too different among the two but usually Metro is slightly more expensive than Caribe Tours.

The other thing is that Arajet plans to be a connecting airline similar to Copa in Panama, but cheaper and using SDQ as hub. Flying to the USA has been a part of its plan since before the airline became a reality. Many people heading from the USA to various places in Latin America would not mind stopping in SDQ if it means a cheaper way to get there vs other airlines.

If the FAA is going to degrade the DR, it should make an exception for Arajet. Chances of that happening are almost none since Americans are known to stick to rules and little to no bending of the laws.

Last edited:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My friend sends this

———————
So much speculation about the FAA review of Dominican aviation based upon a tweet without research.

Firstly Arajet aircraft are maintained by Canadian AJW group - a world leader. Can Canadians be trusted maintaining Arajet aircraft is the question here?

https://www.ajw-group.com/news/ajw-group-signs-max-pbh-support-contract-with-arajet-s-a.html
Too much speculations, first time in my life I see that some body has the result of an audit even before start, part of all that speculation are what I read where an expert said FAA told to IDAC to stop all process of certifications to Dominican Airlines, where anybody with some knowlege in audits knows that you can not start and audit without stopping all process.

Talking about the security with Arajet Boeing has a Tech team here working bedside Arajet and a contract to purchase Boeing 35 airplanes. They will compete with USA Airlines but you must know that Arajet owners are majority USA Citizents, Bain Capital is one of the mayor USA investors groups; Dominican Wings that is the name in papers was puchase by them and as Dominican airline before complete the purchase they most obtain from the President a decrete letting them to change the % of shares where USA citizents will have mayority of the shares and the Dominicans will have the fewest number of shares and they got it. Stopping Arajet going into the USA market will be stopping USA investment of Billions of dollars, so do not make any sense that this inspection its coming because Arajet plan to compete with USA airlines.

Reactions: aarhus and drstock

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to the rumor mill, it appears the DR will be left in Cat 1. This still needs to be confirmed, but if it’s true then Dominican airlines can create new routes to the USA.