Uber and Pedidos Ya workers protest

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pedidos-Ya-y-Uber-protesta-Diario-Libre-1024x570.png

The drivers of the Uber and PedidosYa delivery services have decided to join together in a national strike on 18 and 19 March 2024 to express their demands and concerns. Uber and PedidosYa app users may face difficulties finding available drivers during the strike. Deliveries of food and other products could be delayed due to a lack of delivery drivers.

The work stoppage would be from 4am on 18 March to 4am on 20 March 2024 is to demand better working conditions, including fairer rates and social protection.

The workers say their concerns have not been addressed by the companies’ administration and they are seeking more effective communication and answers.

So far, no official response has been issued from either company.

Drivers hope this strike will draw attention to their concerns and lead to significant improvements in their working conditions.

Read...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
On Saturday there was a report on Nuria about these services. So many complaints, for instance, sometimes food isn´t delivered or it takes forever to arrive, others, orders are incomplete, there is also the risk of food contamination if the delivery person touches the food. The report also showed footage of delivery guys doing stunts in their motorcycles, which might explain why some customers complain that the food delivered was a mess. There´s also problems with other types of deliveries. There´s this girl who sent a $4,000 orchid to be delivered, but the driver never delivered it and blocked her. There´s lots of deficiencies, and also the platforms state that they´re not responsible for customer´s losses. Sometimes they compensate you with vouchers which aren´t enough. For example, someone who spent $1,200 on an order gets a voucher for $200 pesos.
A representative for a fast-food restaurant owners association stated that they are losing money, and he has had to replace orders at his own expense. He also pointed out how weak the recruiting process is. They hire anyone who has a motorcycle, with no screening.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
What is social protection?
They claim the same benefits as a regular employee:

- Insurance coverage
- Being included in the DR's social security system
- Xmas bonus and others

The thing is, a rider isn't an employee for this companies. They're classified as a contractors of the apps and the DR Labor Law doesn't have any benefits for independent/contractors/informal market (which is the majority of the population in this piece of land in the middle of the Caribbean).

I've spent almost a 1/3 of my professional life as a contractor in DR and you have to learn in the hard way that you literally don't have any benefits. Not even opening a bank account or getting a loan.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On Saturday there was a report on Nuria about these services. So many complaints, for instance, sometimes food isn´t delivered or it takes forever to arrive, others, orders are incomplete, there is also the risk of food contamination if the delivery person touches the food. The report also showed footage of delivery guys doing stunts in their motorcycles, which might explain why some customers complain that the food delivered was a mess. There´s also problems with other types of deliveries. There´s this girl who sent a $4,000 orchid to be delivered, but the driver never delivered it and blocked her. There´s lots of deficiencies, and also the platforms state that they´re not responsible for customer´s losses. Sometimes they compensate you with vouchers which aren´t enough. For example, someone who spent $1,200 on an order gets a voucher for $200 pesos.
A representative for a fast-food restaurant owners association stated that they are losing money, and he has had to replace orders at his own expense. He also pointed out how weak the recruiting process is. They hire anyone who has a motorcycle, with no screening.
Sounds like the protests should be AGAINST the drivers and not for them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

- Insurance coverage
- Xmas bonus and others

The thing is, a rider isn't an employee for this companies. They're classified as a contractors of the apps and the DR Labor Law doesn't have any benefits for independent/contractors/informal market (which is the majority of the population in this piece of land in the middle of the Caribbean).

I've spent almost a 1/3 of my professional life as a contractor in DR and you have to learn in the hard way that you literally don't have any benefits. Not even opening a bank account or getting a loan.
No surprise they have no clue their protests are for nothing.

They would have to be able to read with comprehension for that, as you are able.

• Haha
Reactions: chicagoan14

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
It's become ridiculous and there's little accountability. Uber Eats has a threshold that each user cannot exceed when creating claims. Once you reach it, your claims are denied to "protect uber"

Which to me is ridiculous if I am submitting evidence. I work from home so i utilize the service a lot. You order 10 items and they send the wrong order. You send a photo and they tell you "leaving an accurate rating will help the store"

Drivers are delivering food with out the insulated backpacks. Don't want to get off their bikes to take the food to the lobby. You contact the merchant they tell you go to uber. You contact uber and they tell you to go to the merchant. I understand merchants are not responsible for hiring qualified people and it seems Uber gives a job to anyone with a motorcycle.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It's become ridiculous and there's little accountability. Uber Eats has a threshold that each user cannot exceed when creating claims. Once you reach it, your claims are denied to "protect uber"

Which to me is ridiculous if I am submitting evidence. I work from home so i utilize the service a lot. You order 10 items and they send the wrong order. You send a photo and they tell you "leaving an accurate rating will help the store"

Drivers are delivering food with out the insulated backpacks. Don't want to get off their bikes to take the food to the lobby. You contact the merchant they tell you go to uber. You contact uber and they tell you to go to the merchant. I understand merchants are not responsible for hiring qualified people and it seems Uber gives a job to anyone with a motorcycle.
I´m guessing you live in the capital. Here in Boca Chica I´ve never had any of the problems you mentions, but then again I rarely use the service.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have used Pedidosya frequently for over 4 years and have never had a problem with deliveries.

Reactions: chicagoan14

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Uber Eats are pretty terrible, pretty much every time something doesn't come, or the whole order doesn't come, or it takes so long that you have eaten something else and it's completely stone cold.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

- Insurance coverage
- Xmas bonus and others

In the US independent contractors are basically business owners. Guess what that means….

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Uber Eats are pretty terrible, pretty much every time something doesn't come, or the whole order doesn't come, or it takes so long that you have eaten something else and it's completely stone cold.
Try Pedidosya. Night and day.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the US independent contractors are basically business owners. Guess what that means….
They should not be able to get what they are protesting for. They simply don't understand.

If they were to "get" what they wanted by some government decree, they would also be turned out of Uber and Pedidosya in a heartbeat.
Those businesses would probably no longer exist in the DR if they had to provide such benefits.
They are clueless that they are actually independent contractors without rights to those benefits

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They should not be able to get what they are protesting for. They simply don't understand.
That’s a recurring theme with many Dominicans. This paired with the tendecy to be hardheaded leads to a refusal of even considering that what they think might be wrong. Instead, many go to great length to show how right are. o_O

Sometimes the ignorance reaches the level where they actually reject why something happens or is the way it is by saying things “and don’t say this is because of XYZ,” but then insist you give them an explanation for why it exist. Just not the actual reason why it exist. Tough…

Many times they simply want to hear what they already think, even thought that’s not the reason. 😬

Reactions: windeguy

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
F... Uber and Pedidos Ya. Both of them refuse tu identify their Drivers with Big Number tags on their Bagpacks so you can't bother them and hold them accountable when one of this A....... scratches your car or brakes your mirrow on a trafic Light. Criminal Company's and criminal Drivers.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
F... Uber and Pedidos Ya. Both of them refuse tu identify their Drivers with Big Number tags on their Bagpacks so you can't bother them and hold them accountable when one of this A....... scratches your car or brakes your mirrow on a trafic Light. Criminal Company's and criminal Drivers.
That is most likely because the drivers are independent contractors.
Putting an UBER sign on them would also make them a target of the Taxi Mafia.