Hola!

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Am currently in the U.S., unfortunately not yet a Dominican citizen; but spent 2 years as a student in Jarabacoa.
There I studied Dominican history, worked alongside Dominicans; and basically was immersed in everything culture.
The only area I have not visited in this wonderful country is Samana, which will be first on the list during my upcoming visit.
This will be a working vacation, to determine where I would like to make a future home; and perhaps start a business.
I'm also hoping anyone would be so kind as to answer the following:
Has anyone used either the arrival or departure VIP service offered at the Punta Cana airport?.
I've watched videos of the normal/average experience, and not standing in long lines is appealing for an extra $100; as this option is available to book on their website.
Thanks in advance for any tips!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Using the VIP service at any airport is a smart option.

Flying into Punta Cana if you're going to visit Samana is not a smart option.

Reactions: Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks JD,
I'll be renting an SUV for 3 weeks, and chose the PC airport due to non-stop flight options; which I now see are also available in Puerto Plata.
However, it seems the drive distance from either airport is roughly the same; and hoping you will advise me as to why the PC airport is not a smart option.
Since I wish to visit Punta Rucia again, I'd have to double back from the Samana area; plus I'm heading to Contanza at some point...perhaps even Barahona.
Have a great day!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks JD,
I'll be renting an SUV for 3 weeks, and chose the PC airport due to non-stop flight options; which I now see are also available in Puerto Plata.
However, it seems the drive distance from either airport is roughly the same; and hoping you will advise me as to why the PC airport is not a smart option.
Since I wish to visit Punta Rucia again, I'd have to double back from the Samana area; plus I'm heading to Contanza at some point...perhaps even Barahona.
Have a great day!
Quick comparison. Look at the distances:

puerto Plata.jpg

punta cana.jpg

Reactions: Sunbiz1 and Buck
Nov 9, 2023
SC
Funny that the duration is exactly the same! But most of the PC route is boring to drive. SDQ could also be an option.

Reactions: Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Funny that the duration is exactly the same! But most of the PC route is boring to drive. SDQ could also be an option.
I watched a recent video of the drive from Puerto Plata to the town of Samana, and noticed police are still randomly stopping people; tourists in particular.
Do I play dumb, and go around; or give them lunch money?
It seems filming them with a dashcam puts a quick end to this, according to another recent vid on the topic.

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
I should have studied the map more thoroughly, as it seems a newer highway has been constructed to circumnavigate Santo Domingo.
Now I can go straight north without winding up on 5 lane roundabouts, plus I've never had any long wait times at Las Americas; but see they still have VIP services.
:)
With respect to any checkpoints, I'll just stop; I've dealt with this in the past. I've actually watched tutorials on this where expats simply keep driving, and are not chased down...lol. Plus, if they're not getting paid enough; I don't mind buying them lunch.
For anyone interested in seeing this, it is located just east of the town of Samana; at the 4:19:17 mark:

Lee J. Cook

May 10, 2024
New York
Personally, I did not have the opportunity to use Punta Cana airport, but I know positive reviews from friends and colleagues who used it. In particular, they bypassed long queues and received personal assistance, which significantly improved the travel experience, especially after a long flight or when navigating through busy airports.

However, I think it would be worth contacting the airport directly to confirm the availability and quality of the VIP service, as the experience may vary. In addition, it would be possible to compare VIP services with other options for assistance at the airport to ensure that the choice made is the best.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The VIP service can be helpful but depending on flight arrival time, day of the week, it may not be necessary. PUJ is not complicated but at times can be extremely crowded. However, I know several people who have arrived and breezed right through. You can always check how many flights are expected to arrive at the time your flight is due to arrive to get an idea of how crowded it may be. I have also heard that you need to secure VIP service well in advance as they fill up quickly.