3-Month Rental in Santo Domingo

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I just searched AirBnB for Santo Domingo, in my budget of $550 for 3 months.. zilch.
I bumped my budget to $700 and still kind of depressing. I hope AirBnB rates are representative of the actual market there.

I'm not convinced that AirBnB is the right place to search (I own a hotel and know AirBnB very well). AirBnB tends to be focused on tourists for one or two week stays, so prices are comparable to hotels. Your new budget of US$ 700 per month works out at RD$ 32,000. I know in the Zona Colonial you can easily get a one-bed for that budget - the manager of my hotel has just moved out of a place with five bedrooms which she was renting for RD$ 33,000 a month. The issue is the three months I think. Dominicans tend to want at least two months deposit, and normally three. Then rent paid monthly. So if you are possibly thinking of staying longer than the three months, my advice would be to find a place on a one-year contract, negotiate to pay 2 months deposit (including the first month) then pay monthly. If you move out after three months, worst case you will have paid one extra month but will be paying rent at more like the local level rather than the tourist level. Just make sure that the contract says that you can move out at any time but forfeit the deposit if you do (most say that anyway).

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
IMO Internet prices are higher than boots on the ground searches. There are plenty of signs for apartments for rent. Once you get to SD rent you hotel room and start walking around and asking people. It might be tough for a rookie to do this. Either way you are going into your search blind so your chances are just as good. You have gotten some good advice from people who have already been through it. Good luck

Agreed, this is good advice. If you don't speak Spanish, it's worth getting the hotel to find you a local who speaks English and Spanish, they can walk around with you and do the negotiating. Almost every building has a sign up saying For Rent, so you will not be short of choice.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Boots on the ground

The problem I see walking around looking for an apartment is first the OP probably has no clue where to start. Second most of the for rent signs you see on buildings are for long term rental, one year or more. Third the OP is looking to find a place in a couple of days and move in immediately thereafter.

Just my two pesos...

@ OP google home away from home or something like that........

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Yea, think i underestimated things, I got it in my head that I could live pretty comfortably for around 1200/month. It sounds like boots on the ground is the best way for me but I need time. On AirBnB I see options for approx 800, will rent something for a month, give myself time to thoroughly get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods and see what pans out.

My situation is very flexible, I could technically stay for about 6 months or leave after the first.. we'll see.

Thanks gents for all the advice.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........... On AirBnB I see options for approx 800, will rent something for a month, give myself time to thoroughly get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods and see what pans out.............

Great way to do it.............

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I currently live in Zona Universtaria. If I were you id look at the naco/piantini area. 24hrs restaurants, clubs/night life everywhere, shopping malls within walking distance, everyone delivers to this area, and its completely safe. Plus you can find some good short term cheap rentals in that area. I have a condo with a ridiculous view of the sea but if i didnt id move to Naco in a second. If i were you id book at a hotel for a couple of days and just go apartment hunting. Airbnb will be way too expensive for 3 months.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yea, think i underestimated things, I got it in my head that I could live pretty comfortably for around 1200/month. It sounds like boots on the ground is the best way for me but I need time. On AirBnB I see options for approx 800, will rent something for a month, give myself time to thoroughly get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods and see what pans out.

My situation is very flexible, I could technically stay for about 6 months or leave after the first.. we'll see.

Thanks gents for all the advice.

Go on a number of real estate sites on-line for Santo Domingo and see what's out there for the colonial zone. I am sure you can find what you are looking for. Are you coming on a work visa. If not you will have to pay a fine when leaving the DR after 3 months. Your tourist card is good for 30 days only. Three months will not be much. If you get a chance while you are in the DR, rent a car or take the bus to the Samana Peninsula for a few days to see the beauty of the Island. Good luck and good travels

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
The problem I see walking around looking for an apartment is first the OP probably has no clue where to start. Second most of the for rent signs you see on buildings are for long term rental, one year or more. Third the OP is looking to find a place in a couple of days and move in immediately thereafter.

Just my two pesos...

@ OP google home away from home or something like that........

its better to rent something for 3 months and have peace of mind than wait for "dream" renter that will rent it for years. maybe he will come, maybe he will not. this is what i would do at least...but on the other hand, knowing "some" landlords....

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
Yea, think i underestimated things, I got it in my head that I could live pretty comfortably for around 1200/month.

yes you can.but if you will do typical gringo mistakes, even 3k wont be enough.
anyways.. define "pretty comfortable"...for some it means roof over the head, clothes, food, chica here and there and some money for transport. for others it means villa with pool with hot water, chica every day and lobster every day. guess what - it all depends on your lifestyle. if people earn 300 bucks per month, than what you would think ? could you live on 1200 or not ?

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Comfortable for me is, clean, simple, 1 bed room, full kitchen, hot water, once a week house cleaning, going out on the weekends, good internet. Some entertainment here and there as in catching a movie few times a month, doing some touristy tours/road trips once a month or something.

This is a study sabbatical and i'm in a pretty frugal mindset.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
its better to rent something for 3 months and have peace of mind than wait for "dream" renter that will rent it for years. maybe he will come, maybe he will not. this is what i would do at least...but on the other hand, knowing "some" landlords....

Maybe what you would do but most landlords won't. Renting short term means the apartment has to be furnished, electricity turned on, and nowadays even have cable TV and internet connected and working. My guess the major reasons why short term rentals are much higher than yearly leases.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe what you would do but most landlords won't. Renting short term means the apartment has to be furnished, electricity turned on, and nowadays even have cable TV and internet connected and working. My guess the major reasons why short term rentals are much higher than yearly leases.

You're absolutely right.  A few years back we decided to build an extension on our house for a new kitchen. We needed to rent an apartment for 2-3 months. What a nightmare. Everyone wanted one year rental, minimum. We ended up in Miramar, it was $900 USD a month, older place, no AC, no inverter,etc. Internet was extra. 

Won't be easy for the OP. 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
;;;;;;;;;;;;Won't be easy for the OP. 

Thanks for the post AE coming from one who has been there and done that.

Back to the OP, my suggestion is find something on airbnb for the first two weeks preferably in Gazcue or la zona. Spend the two weeks walking these two areas and instead of looking for "alquiler" signs on buildings start looking at the small hotels who most likely will offer a good discount on a montly stay.

The problem with the rent signs on buildings will be like i mentioned before and AE backed up. These are long term rentals. Most will be unfurnished apartments and a few will be furnished, but LONG term.

Calle Danae in Gazcue has a few very small hotels that rent rooms on monthly basis. I can think of a few other small hotels that do the same. Sure an apartment would be nice but it won't come cheap. Maybe just a room with TV, frig, and internet will do.

I still think Gazcue or la zona are two nice areas to start in and branch out from there. Both areas are walkable and safe.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for all the info and advice.

My flight is booked and so is my starter apartment. Got something via AirBnb in Zona Universitaria for 1 month, $890usd. One BR w/ electric included, AC, full kitchen, internet, cable, I guess the standard fare. Looks confortable, fairly modern and good reviews as recent as Dec 016 so fingers crossed and all that jazz.

Once on the ground I'll check out the City, pound the pavement as they say. Determine if I want to stick around for 3 or ,if I love it, 6 months.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for all the info and advice.

My flight is booked and so is my starter apartment. Got something via AirBnb in Zona Universitaria for 1 month, $890usd. One BR w/ electric included, AC, full kitchen, internet, cable, I guess the standard fare. Looks confortable, fairly modern and good reviews as recent as Dec 016 so fingers crossed and all that jazz.

Once on the ground I'll check out the City, pound the pavement as they say. Determine if I want to stick around for 3 or ,if I love it, 6 months.

sounds good, keep us posted ....................