Air Conditioning Help

Paxter

Apr 27, 2022
Dominican republic
Our central air unit has finally bit the dust. It's rusted beyond repair. We were advised to go with split units for various reasons. We saw some at a reasonable price at Corripio. Any thoughts on a better place to buy? Any recommendations for an installer? Thanks
JD Jones gave good info. I just got whirlpool 12000 split from la serana.
always had good experience with garantees , installation. Had to put in 220. Total 44k pesos.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yeah I'd read that 110 was limited to under 12,000 btu's but in Sajoma and just one bedroom, that's gonna be plenty. I'm not familiar with TGM. Is that a manufacturer or a business? Where could I check it out? Thanks DRforme.
That's correct and they cost more. They do work however. I had one put in for a friend and it cools a bedroom. They aren't sold everywhere,but are avaliable in Refricentro in Puerto Plata

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I swear by TGM. I have tried them all and will never use anything but TGM ..they are a company from Brazil and have been taken over by WEG ,an international company with HO in Brazil . And I have received nothing for this promotion

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
I swear by TGM. I have tried them all and will never use anything but TGM ..they are a company from Brazil and have been taken over by WEG ,an international company with HO in Brazil . And I have received nothing for this promotion
Yes,TGM is my choice too over years. I have 3 of them, no complaints and they are really quit units.
And now we are in May, the month of Mothersday, so there will be many offers to buy AC for a good price, look at the Newspapers, they are full of offers.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
I haven't shopped the 12,000 BTU/110 volts units much yet. I did walk in to a Refripartes store in the capitol and it was priced about 31,000 I believe. Didn't bargain, didn't ask if that included any installation hardware or installation costs. Just asking for their opening price on the unit. I don't remember the manufacturer but it wasn't TGM. Where are those sold? Thx Farmer

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
remember when you do get the new Split unit air condition the most important thing is always clean the filters with clean filters the air conditioner does not have to run hard and will save you years on the unit

Reactions: NanSanPedro

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
Our central air unit has finally bit the dust. It's rusted beyond repair. We were advised to go with split units for various reasons. We saw some at a reasonable price at Corripio. Any thoughts on a better place to buy? Any recommendations for an installer? Thanks
I read your post. I just curious ,why were you advised to go with split units?. Why is it I never see window units in DR ?,only split units

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I read your post. I just curious ,why were you advised to go with split units?. Why is it I never see window units in DR ?,only split units

Security. Unless you build a cage around your window unit, it's an invitation to lowlifes to steal it.

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
Security. Unless you build a cage around your window unit, it's an invitation to lowlifes to steal it.
I understand. I once had a window unit with a sleeve. I bolted the sleeve to the window frame with an eye hook and a steel cable. I suspect those may be hard to find now

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Look at this, my Mom hire someone to install a new split unit. The compressor is on top of the roof loose they did not used ankle bolts and the pitch of the roof is 25° angle the lubrication in the compressor is not as it should.
Just think about, wind gust will blow the whole unit which is on a fourth floor building roof.

CHAPUCEROS!

JJ

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_085710003~2.jpg
    IMG_20230723_085710003~2.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Haha
Reactions: cavok

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Look at this, my Mom hire someone to install a new split unit. The compressor is on top of the roof loose they did not used ankle bolts and the pitch of the roof is 25° angle the lubrication in the compressor is not as it should.
Just think about, wind gust will blow the whole unit which is on a fourth floor building roof.

CHAPUCEROS!

JJ
You call the idioto and tell him to get his axe back there now or__________________________!!!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
You call the idioto and tell him to get his axe back there now or__________________________!!!
I know my self, I don't want to see those idiots, look I bought those bracket for the AC installation last year when bought the one I installed in Sosua but they told my Mom they didn't have the tools for wall installation.
They didn't have a drill and leader I am so mad at my Mom for using theses people. I told her to wait until I arrive from the US.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I will find someone who can do it the right way before I go back to US.

JJ

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_120310781.jpg
    IMG_20230723_120310781.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I know my self, I don't want to see those idiots, look I bought those bracket for the AC installation last year when bought the one I installed in Sosua but they told my Mom they didn't have the tools for wall installation.
They didn't have a drill and leader I am so mad at my Mom for using theses people. I told her to wait until I arrive from the US.

JJ
Why am I not surprised of the shixxy work. than they wonder why you don't recommend them ...

here's a story I once had a so called plumber ask me for a lighter to weld pipes he was asked to leave immediately you can't make this stuff up

Reactions: bachata

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

CHAPUCEROS!

JJ
Yes they could have poured a leveling slab or even had metal supports fabricated.
I would not accept this as it will not function correctly.
Some people are reluctant to drill anchors into a roof for fear of leaks but I did it on a roof and pushed butyl mastic into the holes after I installed the expansion anchors then added silicone over the top. No leaks.
This was obviously done by young guys pretending to be contractors

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes they could have poured a leveling slab or even had metal supports fabricated.
Yes I thought about this, this way I wouldn't have to evacuate the refrigerant in order to recolate the unit on the wall.
I definitely like this idea, concrete slab with ankle bolts welded to a rod, measurements of installation are in the manual.

JJ

Reactions: chico bill

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I wouldn't trust nobody to perform this job without my supervision or a professional like you.
Most Dominicans Chapuceros won't be able to fallow instructions.

JJ

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_104838088.jpg
    IMG_20230724_104838088.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: chico bill