American Marries Dominican: True Love or Visa Wings?

He is truly in love with her or he is another one looking for visa wings?

• I think this is genuine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely looking for visa wings.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • If not looking for visa wings, he is using her for the money from her social media channels.

• Looking for visa wings and using her for the money created in her social media.

• Hm, hard to say...

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is an interesting story (in Spanish) of a young American woman that apprently loves all things Dominican. In fact, she lives in Santo Domingo, moved to the country by herself and met this Dominican guy. They comment things such as many people tell them he is married to her (they married very recently) because he wants a visa, that he truly doesn't love her, etc. She says that there was a time she was living in a luxury apartment in SD, had no job and he worked hard to help her pay the rent despite he was making considerably less money (he says it was so hard to meet the rent amount that he cut his costs including limiting to eating once a day.) That made her see him not as someone looking for a visa, but someone that was genuinely interested in her. She also comments of other treatments from him that make her feel this is different from someone looking for visa wings.

Social media has taken off and they are apparently making money from her TikTok, Youtube, etc channels.

He comes through as a genuine guy, but what do expats think? She didn't met him in a resort, so I guess the sanky part is discarded. lol

I think that since she likes the DR so much, they will not be moving out of the DR at any recent moment.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I do not see the interest with this. There are plenty of Dominican men/women who are not looking for a visa. Not everyone is looking to leave the DR. And anyone who has done the visa process in recent times knows the process is not as easy as it was some years ago, These YouTube videos are a dime a dozen as they say.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Here is an interesting story (in Spanish) of a young American woman that apprently loves all things Dominican. In fact, she lives in Santo Domingo, moved to the country by herself and met this Dominican guy. They comment things such as many people tell them he is married to her (they married very recently) because he wants a visa, that he truly doesn't love her, etc. She says that there was a time she was living in a luxury apartment in SD, had no job and he worked hard to help her pay the rent despite he was making considerably less money (he says it was so hard to meet the rent amount that he cut his costs including limiting to eating once a day.) That made her see him not as someone looking for a visa, but someone that was genuinely interested in her. She also comments of other treatments from him that make her feel this is different from someone looking for visa wings.

Social media has taken off and they are apparently making money from her TikTok, Youtube, etc channels.

He comes through as a genuine guy, but what do expats think?
It's none of our business.
That's what I think.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I do not see the interest with this. There are plenty of Dominican men/women who are not looking for a visa. Not everyone is looking to leave the DR. And anyone who has done the visa process in recent times knows the process is not as easy as it was some years ago, These YouTube videos are a dime a dozen as they say.
Absolutely, mi wife hated leaving her country, leaving her family, her house, but she had to if she wanted te be with me.

I hate the impression that only needed women marry foreigners. If I would have the m2 kilometers of land of her parents overhere, I would be one of the richest in the Brussels área.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It’s stereotyping both the Dominican and the foreigner. That the Dominican is always after the foreigners money or a visa. And the foreigner is incapable of seeing through the con act of the Dominican typically younger and better looking.

Reactions: Fulano2

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
The YouTube videos, 90-day fiancé type reality shows, those things continue to push the theory. My spouse has 2 cousins, both married foreigners. To this day neither has a visa and neither wants to leave the DR. For every negative story you hear, there a many positive stories as well.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's none of our business.
That's what I think.
That's not the take of the married couple. Otherwise, they would had never made it public, especially appearing in a video for the public audience talking precisely of that among other things.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
These videos are a dime a dozen, there are thousands of them all over social media. Again, for every negative story, there are many positive stories. These types of stories have been an ongoing thing for years. Movies have been made about them.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My Gringa have benefits a lot from me since we married, three years after my arrival in the US I was making enough money to support the family then she was able to quit her job and start doing real estate full time, for years her business was slow but we didn't relay on that incomes it was an extra.

JJ

Reactions: Lucifer

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
That's not the take of the married couple. Otherwise, they would had never made it public, especially appearing in a video for the public audience talking precisely of that among other things.
The two are just IG influencers. Loads of brands sponsor them just for the role playing they're doing. And they're taking advantage of stereotyping this all over social. Just the same with "Tiguere Vacano" guy. All of them are influencers and not "real people". Let them enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

cc @keepcoming @CristoRey

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
The two are just IG influencers. Loads of brands sponsor them just for the role playing they're doing. And they're taking advantage of stereotyping this all over social. Just the same with "Tiguere Vacano" guy. All of them are influencers and not "real people". Let them enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

cc @keepcoming @CristoRey
Just shows you that what you see on YouTube, Reality TV, is not representative of all relationships. They are focused on the bad rather than the good. Makes for better ratings.