Around 5,000 poor Las Terrenas residents could get a government subsidy for electricity

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This will greatly reduce their electric bill. I think Las Terrenas has the 24/7 electricity.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That's fantastic.
What about the rest of the poor people across this country?

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
That's fantastic.
What about the rest of the poor people across this country?
What's fantastic about that ???? Who pays for this ?... We do ! FThe Government is fishing for votes and we have to finance it. The poor are making 10+ children and than get free or subsidized electricity. I HATE IT !!!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What's fantastic about that ???? Who pays for this ?..
The IMF.
These suckers keep throwing millions at the wall hoping something will stick. In the middle of an election?
lol...
give me a freakin break.
Got to love it!

Jonas A

Nov 13, 2023
La Romana
What's fantastic about that ???? Who pays for this ?... We do ! FThe Government is fishing for votes and we have to finance it. The poor are making 10+ children and than get free or subsidized electricity. I HATE IT !!!
If you don't like the poor having 10+ children you can walk along their neighbourhood and give free condoms. With the high electric bills in Las Terrenas they can't afford it. 🤔😁

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
When Luz y Fuerza was a private held company it provided 98% 24/7 power to all of Las Terrenas, parts of El Limon and Las Galeras. It was very expensive luz but it was extreamly reliable. The Gov came in and wanted a big piece of the pie, Oswaldo Orsini (owner of L y F Las Terrenas) held on as long as he could but the powers that be forced his hand and now the entire peninsula of Samana is (Gov run) supplied by Edenorte.
Since the day of transfer of power from Orsini's local production to the national grid, Las Terrenas now finds itself in line with the rest of the country with CRAP power supply and daily outages while being expensive.
Luz y Fuerza in Las Terrenas still distributes the power in the immediate area but has zero control of the source.
I think what Luz y Fuerza is doing with subsidizing the local poor is a great thing and they should be applauded, it's the local poor that are the fabric of that community and in many ways unseen hold it together which make it a unique part of the DR. There's not a chance in hell that Ednorte would consider doing the same but in all fairness they would then have to do it for the entire country so it's not really an option.
Hats off to Luz y Fureza for taking care of their own.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bono lux does exist in many other parts of the country. It's a government subsidy for the poor, but it doesn't benefit all of the poor. The 5,000 or so from Las Terrenas are simply being added to that. One thing I didn't notice at first is that this is for Las Terrenas and Las Galeras.