Bling

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was writing a message yesterday and wanted to discuss "bling". I made a call to a couple of friends and asked if they understood the context of the word. Nope.

How does this get expressed in Spanish (especially in the DR).?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I was writing a message yesterday and wanted to discuss "bling". I made a call to a couple of friends and asked if they understood the context of the word. Nope.

In Spanish and especially in the Caribbean the word is an imitation of the English: el blin blin or el blin blineo. It is used a lot in urban music aka reguetón. If the people you asked don’t listen to that type of music or speak urban street Spanish they will not know the word.

-MP.

Reactions: Caonabo

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

The cultural slang word used (now almost replaced by blin blin) for bling here is “Brillo”...

If you get gifted they say “te dieron brillo”
If you buy it yourself “te diste brillo”

Reactions: bob saunders

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
To be more specific: I am planning on moving a beauty salon that I have a part interest in to a larger space. Planning on a complete re-design and re-model, and as part of the space using it as a boutique selling women's "bling" items. In my marketing materials what would the right word be?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
To be more specific: I am planning on moving a beauty salon that I have a part interest in to a larger space. Planning on a complete re-design and re-model, and as part of the space using it as a boutique selling women's "bling" items. In my marketing materials what would the right word be?

You mean like Monet accessories??