Canadian Embassy

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
From my experience with renewing a Dominican passport, the answer was in the PP office that it cannot be renewed until it expires. We were in Sosua a year ago February, and her passport expired in November 2015. So, wanting to be on top of things we went to the office to renew it since we would probably not be back till after it's expiry. This is when we were told it must expire first, we were surprised, and yet not. So we just let it go. She just returned and had it renewed in May, but we had to get a "Carta de Ruta" for a one way passage back to the DR. This was much cheaper than renewing in Canada. This is my experience only and who knows if the expiry issue it true...but hope it may help.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I called the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 613 569 9893 and I was told that they (in the DR) might renew the Dominican passport before it expires. If not when you apply for the 10 year visa the old passport which has the 10 year visa can be used along with the re-newed passport. This has been done for years apparently.

Hope that makes sense.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I called the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 613 569 9893 and I was told that they (in the DR) might renew the Dominican passport before it expires. If not when you apply for the 10 year visa the old passport which has the 10 year visa can be used along with the re-newed passport. This has been done for years apparently.

Hope that makes sense.

The problem is that the Canadian visa is only valid for the duration of the passport. So if it expires in a month, the visa is valid for a month.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The problem is that the Canadian visa is only valid for the duration of the passport. So if it expires in a month, the visa is valid for a month.

You are right and since the OP was asking about both the US visa and Canadian the info passed on to me was for the US visa.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
yes, this may be the first time i prefer a USA rule over Canada-it makes no sense at all. Talking to staff in Ottawa vs Dominicans in the DR again is night and day. Rules change by the minute here and who you are speaking to.