Car discussion in Dominican Spanish

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So a month or so ago the local mechanic fixed my car and now it runs chitty. I got a recommendation for another mechanic from a gym buddy. Like my gym buddy, this guy is in San Isidro. However, his English is worse than my Spanish.

I put the following in Google Translate but am just wondering if there is a better way to say it with Dominican Spanish in a WhatsApp text. Any help would be seriously appreciated.

English Input:
My mechanic changed the spark plugs and after that, the car doesn't run very well.
It runs rough and spurts sometimes.
The check engine light is always on and sometimes when I accelerate it blinks.
I also need the brake pads checked.
I would like to bring the car in the morning of Thursday the 28th and pick it up later that day in the afternoon. Would that be ok?

Spanish output:

Mi mecánico cambió las bujías y después de eso el auto no anda muy bien.
Funciona con dificultad y a veces sale a borbotones.
La luz de verificación del motor siempre está encendida y, a veces, cuando acelero, parpadea.
También necesito que revisen las pastillas de freno.
Me gustaría traer el coche el jueves 28 por la mañana y recogerlo ese mismo día por la tarde. ¿Estaría bien?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: cavok and Lucifer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Let us know the outcome. Changing plugs on most cars is an easy task. What year and model is the vehicle ?

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
If your car runs weird the mechanic damaged the wires, used the cheapest plugs available or did not change all of them so the engine (the cylinders) is kinda out of sync. Changing the plugs is almost as easy as changing a light bulb.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
If your car runs weird the mechanic damaged the wires, used the cheapest plugs available or did not change all of them so the engine (the cylinders) is kinda out of sync. Changing the plugs is almost as easy as changing a light bulb.
It is almost impossible to do but therfor quite possible in the DR: maybe the mechanic switched 2 ignitioncables (coils)....
The reason most of them give for the MIL light (Malfunction Indicator Light) is bad quality gasoline what is a joke ofcourse.
In your case there is a serious issue going on, hence my idea of the switched ignitioncables.
Get your own simple OBD2 adapter and a app, that ends the lying concerning the MIL.

Reactions: NanSanPedro and FF1

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Totally agree with Peterj. Get a diagnostic reader, plug it in and find out which cylinder (s) are misfiring. I'm guessing he broke a wire pulling them off. It's easy to do. On today's engines it's hard to put the wrong wire on the wrong plug as the wires are to short to reach a different plug.
I did mine last month and each cylinder has its own coil above the plug (GM V8). Once you get the reader it will give you a code like P0108. Then just Google Nissan and the code and you should have your answer.
Hope this helps

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nan, there are budget scanners you can buy that plug into the scanner plug under the dash, and you can download software on your cel phone to use it.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I had similar issue with my bike last year, after a full service that changed the spark plug, took 3 months of headache (in another country), Honda dealer computer showed all perfect, but engine was not running well. This is a single 300cc cylinder...

About 4 different mechanics tried everything, faulty/filthy fuel was main culprit at first, Fi next, but after changing and testing 3 different spark plugs, the last new one made the engine run perfectly, running well ever since to this day...

I promised myself never change the plug again until I sell this bike...!!! It was either dodgy spark plug or it was not installed properly (too tight or loose or whatever...!?)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Same thing happened to me with my Harley. Couple of hours of troubleshooting, changing plugs, fuel flow... nothing worked. A friend gave me a couple of plugs and as soon as I touched the starter it fired right up.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A few years ago my Mitsubishi Montero Sport was running rough so I decided to change the plugs. I couldn't even find them! It turned out you had to remove and disconnect countless components before you could get near them and these days I don't have the will to spend time doing a lot of work on a car. So I took it to my German mechanic me the car and he confirmed that the plugs were, indeed, in a very bad state. He said they probably hadn't been changed for years because it was such a big job!

Doing basic jobs on cars isn't like it was when I was young!

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I changed all 4 plugs and coil packs on my Sorento.
The hardest part is getting the wires unclipped from the coil packs. A rough mechanic could easily break a wire. Also you must insure the coil packs seat properly onto the new plugs.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So a month or so ago the local mechanic fixed my car and now it runs chitty. I got a recommendation for another mechanic from a gym buddy. Like my gym buddy, this guy is in San Isidro. However, his English is worse than my Spanish.

I put the following in Google Translate but am just wondering if there is a better way to say it with Dominican Spanish in a WhatsApp text. Any help would be seriously appreciated.

English Input:

Spanish output:

Thanks in advance!
I´d use "carro", instead of "coche", and "chorros", instead of "borbotones"