Container Home Builds in DR...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What is the cost for a shipping container?
JDI have done (3) projects with shipping containers in the past but all three are in a southern state of the U.S. I am very reluctant to post information here regarding this subject as the laws and the costs are vastly different. I will say the cost of the containers are predicated on demand AND the city where you will purchase. I was lucky in a way as the city is Savannah Ga. a MAJOR port city, there are lots of containers and easy delivery to the three locations where I needed them.
As I recall, (5-6 years ago) the cost delivered was about $3500 for the 20 footer that I used on my property but don't remember the cost of the 40 footers which was for a private project I did for someone.
I suspect here, IMHO, the negatives for using them would outweigh the positives.I base that opinion on project I am currently doing in Santo Domingo that with ease of buying materials, getting good help instantly and ease of construction has been a blessing.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No... Is that something you could do?

As I indicated in my intro to dr1, my wife and I are looking at farmland somewhere in a low mountain range area of northwest-ish DR, and I'm not sure if getting a shipping container to such an area would be doable (country roads being what they might be).

Anyway, I just thought that opening up this topic would produce interesting and useful feedback. And it has.
I see ads for them pop up all the time on FB Market place and X. The next time I see one I'll try to find out.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Well, that didn't take long:

At first look they seem to run around 2-3K USD for used ones in fairly good condition.

You may have to change your location to Santo Domingo on Marketplace to see the ads. There are all types, regular, truck boxes, 45', 20', offices, home constructor, Bars.... You name it.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Well, that didn't take long:

At first look they seem to run around 2-3K USD for used ones in fairly good condition.

You may have to change your location to Santo Domingo on Marketplace to see the ads. There are all types, regular, truck boxes, 45', 20', offices, home constructor, Bars.... You name it.

When I first began really taking a good look at the DR on Google Maps I was amazed at just how much undeveloped land there is, north to south, east to west. Although I know why the focus is on the coastline (what foreigner doesn't want white sand beaches and coconut trees as a background), I grew up in the mountains and that's where my heart is. I smile when I think of the mountains in the DR.

But unless you're going the log cabin route, building in the mountains is not so easy, hence my interest in other ways of doing the habitat thing.

Thanks for the info leads... And box trucks are an option, particularly in the camping vein.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Was that Gilberto, the Canadian guy living in front of La Yola?
Yes. Gil died a while ago of complications brought on by chikungunya. A real character. I enjoyed visiting him many times and attended his wedding in Luperon years ago. Gil left Ontario, sailed in on a boat and never left the DR. He also smuggled DR family members out of Cuba. He was fearless in many ways. His named his residence The Ravens Lair. Between the noise from La Yola and the constant traffic speeding by his residence on that tight turn, the noise level in his house was deafening.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: cavok

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yes. Gil died a while ago of complications brought on by chikungunya. A real character. I enjoyed visiting him many times and attended his wedding in Luperon years ago. Gil left Ontario, sailed in on a boat and never left the DR. He also smuggled DR family members out of Cuba. He was fearless in many ways. His named his residence The Ravens Lair. Between the noise from La Yola and the constant traffic speeding by his residence on that tight turn, the noise level in his house was deafening.
I was here when he sailed in, in the late 1990's. I visited him when his 1st Dominican son was born. That was a long time ago. I am not in Luperón anymore.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
When I first began really taking a good look at the DR on Google Maps I was amazed at just how much undeveloped land there is, north to south, east to west. Although I know why the focus is on the coastline (what foreigner doesn't want white sand beaches and coconut trees as a background), I grew up in the mountains and that's where my heart is. I smile when I think of the mountains in the DR.

But unless you're going the log cabin route, building in the mountains is not so easy, hence my interest in other ways of doing the habitat thing.

Thanks for the info leads... And box trucks are an option, particularly in the camping vein.
Did you say you were interested in farm land in the mountains?
Let me know as I may have something for you in the Jamao de Norte region....

Reactions: MoJoInDR