Dominican and Dominican-American authors - Spanish literature

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
At the beginning of every year, I start to put together a list of Spanish literature that I would like to read during the year. I tend to read books of authors whose work I have read in the past but I am certainly open to reading literature from authors I have yet to read.

I don’t read much Dominican literature at all. The popular Dominican-American authors write in English but I am looking for Spanish. I have read translated literature though by Julia Alvarez and usually because the English version was not available. Currently, I am reading Devolver al remitente….really light reading but typical Julia Alvarez.

What Spanish literature will you be reading this year?

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I've only read Dominican-American authors in English, but I'm inclined to reading more in Spanish, although I never come around to doing it: too many English books, too little time, and way too lazy.

I'm interested in Andrés Neuman, Elvira Navarro, Mariana Enríquez, and others. Some day soon...

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Time is also an issue for me but I don’t support it for myself. It means something else will get pushed back or knocked off because reading is important.

What I find surprising and happy about is people are actually reading books. For the moment it looked like digital will take over completely but I go to bookstores on a regular basis to browse and they are always busy.

Andrés Newman, I have a book waiting in my home library to read. The other two authors you mentioned I do not know. This year though I want read something in the top 20 in addition to my own picks.

I can’t wait…. I go from book to book.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
My better half and I also go from book to book, although she mixes her reading equal parts English and Spanish.

And we live a block away from the only library in the Dallas area that is open every day of the week, except holidays, that is.
I'm definitely going to miss it when I move to FLA sometime this year.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Nice! Keep reading….it’s so good for your mind.

Florida- wow! Are you going to Miami? (Just wondering) Bookstores and libraries will be easy to find in Florida.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Perhaps this can help in your search

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for the link. I did not know they existed. This will help in my search for more Dominican literature.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Miami-bound indeed! Just hope to move near a library.

Nice! Is Miami ready for Lucifer? They are going to find out. Good for you. You are going to hear and maybe speak a different brand of Spanish though.

Miami will meet your needs both libraries and books in both languages. Whenever I am in Miami, I always set aside time for book browsing. There is so much choice.

Have you ever heard of this Dominican author? Pedro Antonio Valdez? I have this book but everything time I try to read it it’s not captivating me but I am willing to try to read it again this year:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Two friends have mentioned this writer to me.
I remember wanting to read Bachata del ángel caído, but never ordered it.
Now I have to add him to my list.

Thank you.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
This will be my Spanish literature book thread for 2023. Any book I read and decide to summarize or comment on, I will add it to this thread. I like to try different authors. From an academic perspective recommended books are always the great Spanish language writers- Gabriel García Márquez, Mario Vargas Llosa, Isabel Allende, Carlos Fuentes, Octavio Paz etc. but I like to try authors who are not as renowned too and as a result, I have read some gems.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
As soon as I finish the book I am reading currently, I will read Casi imposible by Lucía García. It came up on Amazon as a recommended book, I read the summary and I was intrigued. What also makes me curious is the writer is 15 years old and the topic is quite deep.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hola a todos,

¿Cómo están? Hace mucho tiempo que no comento aquí pero bueno así es la vida 🙂

I have read a lot this year. I have an insatiable thirst for literature. I am currently reading Las Madres by Esmeralda Santiago. She is a Puerto Rican author who moved to New York at a young age, ten years old I believe. Her first novel, Cuando era puertorriqueña was an impactful read and I have been reading her novels ever since. I enjoy the nuances and the Caribbean language and culture intertwined in her writing.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I am currently reading Las Madres as I mentioned in my post above. What I enjoy most about the book so far is the cultural nuances intertwined in the themes and the language. The usage of Puerto Ricans words and expressions brings to life the characters and makes you feel like you are living the experiences with them.

I am already thinking of my next book. I should to be able to read one more to finish off 2023. The books I have as possible reads after Las Madres are:

Violeta- Isabel Allende

La ciudad - Lara Moreno- I discovered this author a few years ago when I bought one of her books at a bookstore in Miami International Airport. I love her writing.

No somos de aquí- Jenny Torres Sánchez

or a classic from one of the great Latin America authors. Possibly a book by Gabriel García Márquez

scotia

Mar 18, 2004

Thank you for this link. I have been reading various Dominican American authors over the years and this helps me find more. I just finished 'How Not to Drown in a Glass of Water' by Angie Cruz and I laughed out loud too often to count. ' I have also read her book 'Dominicana' which brought to light stories I have been hearing for years from my husband about those times, family immigration to the US and partially set in areas I am very familiar with Hato Mayor and Guaycances.
I enjoyed Violeta By Isabel Allende and look forward to checking out other authors that members have recommended.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Thank you for this link. I have been reading various Dominican American authors over the years and this helps me find more. I just finished 'How Not to Drown in a Glass of Water' by Angie Cruz and I laughed out loud too often to count. ' I have also read her book 'Dominicana' which brought to light stories I have been hearing for years from my husband about those times, family immigration to the US and partially set in areas I am very familiar with Hato Mayor and Guaycances.
I enjoyed Violeta By Isabel Allende and look forward to checking out other authors that members have recommended.
I, too, found "Dominicana," by Angie Cruz, to be an enjoyable read.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Does Angie Cruz write in Spanish?

Edited to add:

I just looked at her bio she is Dominican-American from the Heights.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Unfortunately I do not read novels in Spanish, too lazy I guess. I know it would help my comprehension of the language as I can read French much better than speak but I digress. I just finished another enjoyable novel, 'Family Lore' by Elizabeth Acevedo. I found it difficult to keep the sisters and their gifts straight for quite a while but managed in the end. As with all Dominican/American stories a lot of it was very familiar to me and makes me understand my husband and his family even more;, the history, culture, 'magic', their beliefs in general.