Dominican peso

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you are holding pesos left over from vacation and plan to return for a vacation soon don't worry about the exchange rate - you should worry about how the buying power of the pesos that are left will be impacted by inflation.
My kids (now in their thirties) still have 1, 5 and 10 centavo coins from our trips to the DR in the late 1970's. Not worth much today.

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
still lauging

JA.!JA.! JA.!--lol-- Thanks a lot guys for making fun of me......but you know how it is, someone says something and it spreads like a wild fire.......my mom called me hysterically to tell me to go and change my money....lol......

for those of you who didnt make fun of me :) thank you for the advice, this will be the last lump sum i keep in pesos.....i usually just do it because i hate the whole trip to the casa de cambio where you can get mugged coming out of it and what not.....so i just always get to the country with pesos in hand.

Still making fun of you and all the idiots who took her serious. My mother told me to sell the George washington bridge a long time ago becauaw she owned 179 to 181st. Suckers that you are!!!!!

DRDK

Feb 15, 2012
Anyone know if it's a good idea to convert US$ to Pesos before going to the D-R? Also, do you get charged extra for using a credit card there?

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Anyone know if it's a good idea to convert US$ to Pesos before going to the D-R? Also, do you get charged extra for using a credit card there?

I always get more pesos here for a dollar. Now going rate is 38.90. Please check if you can get this rate.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

You will get hosed on the exchange rate outside the DR. AVOID changing in the airports.
If you tell us what city you are visiting in DR, we will tell you the best cambio. I would try and stay away from using a credit card in DR unless unavoidable.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
Most U.S. credit cards charge a foreign currency fee also. So if you use your credit card, you will receive a lower rate as well as a foreign currency fee. If you use an ATM, you will have the foreign bank fee added as well and many ATMs limit withdrawals to $2000RD or $5000RD which means frequent trips and multiples fees. Bring cash and convert to pesos. You get a higher exchange rate and avoid all of the fees. Dont change at the airport!! I always keeps a small amount of pesos for reentry into the country and the money to last until I get to a Cambio.