Easter Travel to Jarabacoa (?)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Good afternoon, What's Jarabacoa like for Semana Santa?, would it be really stupid to drive up there for a couple of days?, have been invited to stay with friends, have never been. It's safer to stay put that week as there is so many people traveling but thought i'd throw the question out there anyway... Thank you. Happy Easter all!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Good afternoon, What's Jarabacoa like for Semana Santa?, would it be really stupid to drive up there for a couple of days?, have been invited to stay with friends, have never been. It's safer to stay put that week as there is so many people traveling but thought i'd throw the question out there anyway... Thank you. Happy Easter all!

Where are you are traveling from to go to Jarabacoa? Coming from/to the Santo Domingo direction would be beastly at the beginning and end of the holy period. Posters from the Jarabacoa area would have wisdom about Jarabacoa's Semana Santa environment.

Regards,

PJT

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
If this is the only time you can travel: Try to Have Fun ! If you can travel any other time but "Semana Santa" STAY AT HOME ! btw... this applies to any Destination in the Country.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
As long as you're not travelling with the crowds, you 'should' be fine.

Which is to say, get there well in advance and leave before; or well after everyone else does to head home.

During any holiday time traffic can be very heavy, especially when:

1. There is an accident. (often)
2. People are stopping at the side of the road to buy something from vendors. (often)

I've seen a couple times where the traffic has been backed up to 7 kms (~4.5 miles). (not so often, but it has happened)

It becomes doubly dangerous at these times, because most people want to pass and there's not many safe opportunities to do so.

People do it anyways, such as passing while going up a steep incline on a corner.

There are lots of pinch-points along the route where bottlenecks can occur.

If you do go, be safe and enjoy!

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Where are you are traveling from to go to Jarabacoa? Coming from/to the Santo Domingo direction would be beastly at the beginning and end of the holy period. Posters from the Jarabacoa area would have wisdom about Jarabacoa's Semana Santa environment.

Regards,

PJT
La Romana > Jarabacoa - Wednesday, return Sat midday

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On Semana Santa we have the traditional polls for total road carnage. It is always quite the large number of dead killed by drunken driving. I call it dying for Jesus or dying by Jesus if that happens to be the name of the person who kills you when he is drunk out of his mind driving his 30 year old Nissan celebrating

As one above said, stay home that weekend and visit Jarabacoa another time.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The verdict is in - Staying put for the week of madness and will visit Jarabacoa another time, appreciate the input form all. Stay well! CG