El Catey Airport flights

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I miss the good old days of getting a flight from JFK to El Catey. Now it looks like there are only directly flights to/from Canada and Europe. Is this true? How does the airport sustain?

Does anyone know when they will be adding additional flights?

This airport was so convenient to get to Samana and I have not been back since they stopped the JFK flights.

I miss the good old days of getting a flight from JFK to El Catey. Now it looks like there are only directly flights to/from Canada and Europe. Is this true? How does the airport sustain?

Does anyone know when they will be adding additional flights?

This airport was so convenient to get to Samana and I have not been back since they stopped the JFK flights.
I think your correct - looking to get back to LT. Recently flights could be had from Charlotte - then I saw Miami about a year ago. But in looking just now - No bueno. I really don't want to fly thru SDQ, get a car & drive up. Only other option this thru Montreal nonstop, but its expensive. I guess back to SDQ :sneaky:

Reactions: reilleyp

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
That JetBlue AZS > JFK Wed & Sat sure was a GEM!, as mentioned, American has run it from Charlotte for a season which was great & then out to Miami but no mas... I always thought a flight Samana to DFW or even Chicago"s OHare would be nice to facilitate those living west of the Mississippi but never saw it happen.
I was once told its not sustainable to the airlines for several reasons, you can pick one to believe or not.

A) Not enough beds in the area
B) Not enough ground security and too many drugs funneling through the country, that airlines didn't want to risk having a plane grounded for an investigation.
C) And finally that a large portion of profit for the airlines is freight and no one is going to ship freight out to the peninsula when POP, STI, SDQ is quicker overland to those airports.

Each of the 3 reasons seem valid but I'm not in aviation so don't pretend to know..

Reactions: reilleyp

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Probably a demand reason.

Afterall, if flights from the US to el Catey and back were full, American Airlines would have kept the route

Unfortunately, as beautiful as Las Terrenas is, it's still considered to be in a remote area of the DR - far from the Punta Cana and Puerto Plata junkets where all-inclusive resorts specialize and cater to the average gabacho

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
We are flying YYZ (Toronto) to AZS this year with Air Transat. It was much less expensive than the same flight with Air Canada.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
But I do agree with the OP. How does this airport sustain itself? Two flights a day 4 months a year has to be a HUGE loss leader.