Interesting Interview: Jacinto Peynado (Porsche DR)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is a very interesting interview of Jacinto Peynado regarding how he became the official importer of Porsche in the DR, how he had no money when he started the business, the Porsche DR business became profitable in about 2 years, sales of Porsche tripled once Ferrari and Maserati were removed from the same showroom, the DR is the fourth most important market for Porsche in Latin America, etc.

This was published today Feb 18, 2024.

Reactions: aarhus

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I have dated quite a few Dominican guys who live in very ordinary apartments but roll around in very expensive cars. The last one paid twice as much monthly for his car as his rent. All of his money went on sharp suits, being seen at the most expensive bars and restaurants, all so that people would think he was actually a high-roller. Which of course he wasn't, he was constantly asking me if I could give him a little loan, or would I like to go for a romantic weekend to Medellin (and pay for it) or he'd booked a romantic table at SBG but would I mind putting it on my Amex. Very good looking, but that stuff gets tiring very quickly. It's just the same in the block that I live in, all the most expensive cars belong to the cheapest apartments. And the penthouse crowd just stick to Ubers as they have nothing to prove.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe this is a revelation, but there are people that buy nice cars and sports cars because they actually like the car. Not everyone rolling around in a Porsche cares what other people think. That’s the car they like in that color and with those features and so be it. That someone else doesn’t like that or if they think he is simply doing it for looks, that’s their problem. lol

Reactions: Fulano2 and aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Maybe this is a revelation, but there are people that buy nice cars and sports cars because they actually like the car. Not everyone rolling around in a Porsche cares what other people think. That’s the car they like in that color and with those features and so be it. That someone else doesn’t like that or if they think he is simply doing it for looks, that’s their problem. lol
It’s nice to have a nice car

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have always had the saying that such people have more money than brains.

I have never liked Porsches (nor BMWs) and I am sure that is just me.
(I do like Ferraris, but I have no desire to own one.)

Reactions: XQT

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If it gets me from point A to point B in one piece, sheltered from the sun and heat, somewhat comfortable and I can afford. Thats all I want in a car. I like to look at fancy cars but know I don't really want to own one. And the same with women. 🤣🤣

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If it gets me from point A to point B in one piece, sheltered from the sun and heat, somewhat comfortable and I can afford. Thats all I want in a car. I like to look at fancy cars but know I don't really want to own one. And the same with women. 🤣🤣
That’s a good comparison. A stable and reliable car. Not fancy and expensive. Same for women.

Reactions: Castro156

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

In college I had a mint condition Buick Regal limited edition. It drove like a dream.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

What has lack of brains to do with liking a nice car?

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
For DR streets a Cayenne is ok,but a 911? A friend of mine had a 911 carrera in germany where the roads are made for running those cars. I drove it with 250 km/h and it feels great, but were in this country you can drive those speed without playing roulette with your life?
Allso there is a speedlimit here,so theres no fun with a sportscar with such power. A good SUV for the potholes is my go.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Here is a very interesting interview of Jacinto Peynado regarding how he became the official importer of Porsche in the DR, how he had no money when he started the business, the Porsche DR business became profitable in about 2 years, sales of Porsche tripled once Ferrari and Maserati were removed from the same showroom, the DR is the fourth most important market for Porsche in Latin America, etc.

This was published today Feb 18, 2024.

Play money,
If one has it OK, why not?

Ultimately they are cars for posers, people who like to show off......new money.
People with a weak ego who try to impress others.
People with loud enhanced exhaust systems for cars and motorcycles, it make them feel powerful- get's attention......weak ego!

The DR has horrible roads and drivers.

If I drive a high performance car I do so in Germany with no seed limit on some highways,
Or at lest on good scenic roads.
One can also drive them on race tracks in various countries.

A sensible person drives a strong car with high ground clearance in the DR.
A Porsche Cayenne is not exactly a great off-road or rough road vehicle.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Yes maybe but none of them are Dominicans. Every Dominican who has a Porsche makes 100% sure that everyone knows that they have a Porsche.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes maybe but none of them are Dominicans. Every Dominican who has a Porsche makes 100% sure that everyone knows that they have a Porsche.
It’s common to see a luxury car next to a “normal” car owned and used by the same person. In Santiago there is one that has a shiny Mercedes-Benz and another SUV, but the other one is beat up. Anyone will see him driving that and the last thing they will think is that he has money, yet it’s garanteed he has more than 99% of the people around him in most places, most of the time.

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Seriously though, there’s no way I’m buying a Porsche or any other sports car here really. First of all, most of them are almost double MSRP and the traffic and roads are too bad. I’d hate to have to replace a $4,000 carbon fiber wheel or $10,000 bumper.