Is there any area in the South coast or the Capital...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Judging from the hundreds of posts over the years I wonder if any ex-pats that live in the North would ever live in other than their current location.
There is a current tread regarding Juan Dolio. Very negative. Recently Boca Chica. Very negative. Santo Domingo este. Very negative. And the capital of course. Again very negative. Did everyone that moved and live in these locations make a mistake?

SMH over how did all north coast ex-pats became so smart?? Amazing!

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
All areas have good points and bad points. I would consider SDEste, especially San Isidro, in a heart beat. I am also curious about Ciudad Juan Bosch. Never heard any comments one way or the other. It just looks so isolated.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We have lived in Santo Domingo for a very long time. Yes, the traffic is bad, but it also offers a lot in terms of restaurants, social activities, etc.. I do not think we made a mistake moving to Santo Domingo. It fit what we needed. When choosing a place to live you take into consideration what fits your lifestyle. I do not think there is a bad choice, it is all about what you're looking for. Every area as Nan said has its good and bad points.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
There were things I hated about Santo Domingo and if you need to move around a lot in traffic it can be awful but it is now what I miss the most from living in the DR. Maybe because I knew many Dominicans there and not just expats.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
We have lived in Santo Domingo for a very long time. Yes, the traffic is bad, but it also offers a lot in terms of restaurants, social activities, etc.. I do not think we made a mistake moving to Santo Domingo. It fit what we needed. When choosing a place to live you take into consideration what fits your lifestyle. I do not think there is a bad choice, it is all about what you're looking for. Every area as Nan said has its good and bad points.
I think the capital is much better than the reputation it has on this forum. There are some really nice parts.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well, I missed my target audience. What I really was trying to say or ask is/are the negative comments that come from ex-pats that live in the north coast. Somehow I didn't get that across.
So,....

tripp789

May 4, 2018
I’m a “north coaster” living in Cabarete. We visit the La Romana/PC area at least once a year, primarily for the golf courses.

We like the area for that and have stayed in Boca Chica and La Romana in Air BNB’s twice. We had a good BC and mediocre LR experience. Recently. we have really enjoyed staying in the Bayahibe area. I think because it reminds us so much of Cabarete, LOL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Judging from the hundreds of posts over the years I wonder if any ex-pats that live in the North would ever live in other than their current location.
No
There is a current tread regarding Juan Dolio. Very negative. Recently Boca Chica. Very negative. Santo Domingo este. Very negative. And the capital of course. Again very negative. Did everyone that moved and live in these locations make a mistake?
Yes
Simple. Do diligence.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
No, not because I don't want to. It's just that my wife is from here, her parents live here, our kids go to school here. So I feel it's kind of hard to move, having to uproot the kids from their friends and schools and so on.
No, I wouldn't say so. Except for the traffic I would like to be near a bigger city that can offer more variety and I would also guess that some things are cheaper and better when there are more options.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
After you live in a big City with all it's traffic and noise the more mundane life of a smaller populated area is appealing.
Yeah, less restaurants and bars so you spend less time (and money) going out.
But once you hit a certain age and have gone out so many times it becomes repetitive anyway and the home life is more your preference.