Is this the norm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chismoso

Dec 31, 2022
Puerto Plata
Following a birthday party Friday last at a home in Puerto Plata attended by several women, an item of jewelry was found to be missing. The alleged theft was reported to police who subsequently rounded up and arrested all the party attendees on the Saturday. Whilst in custody the alleged offender was identified fairly quickly, however the remaining women were not immediately released and were forced to spend two nights, Saturday and Sunday in custody even though proven innocent.

My information is that no one is released from custody over the weekend, not until 10am the following Monday.

Is this correct procedure to detain the innocent and is this the norm ? Thank you.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Following a birthday party Friday last at a home in Puerto Plata attended by several women, an item of jewelry was found to be missing. The alleged theft was reported to police who subsequently rounded up and arrested all the party attendees on the Saturday. Whilst in custody the alleged offender was identified fairly quickly, however the remaining women were not immediately released and were forced to spend two nights, Saturday and Sunday in custody even though proven innocent.

My information is that no one is released from custody over the weekend, not until 10am the following Monday.

Is this correct procedure to detain the innocent and is this the norm ? Thank you.
Must have been a nice hunk of jewelery! If the fiscal had to dispatch the case then yes, they would have had to wait til Monday opening of the fiscalía. It all depends on the nature of the case and how much money they feel they can extract from it

Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Sounds right to me ...who proved them "innocent" so that they are officially cleared of this crime?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Over a year ago or so, my kid's brother was arrested due to his cedula being suspect. Once in custody, he somehow proved that it was legit. However, he was still forced to spend the night in jail and was released the next day.

I'm speculating that once arrested, only certain people have authority to release the detainee. Until that person comes in to work, the detainee must remain detained.

Reactions: drstock

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Over a year ago or so, my kid's brother was arrested due to his cedula being suspect. Once in custody, he somehow proved that it was legit. However, he was still forced to spend the night in jail and was released the next day.

I'm speculating that once arrested, only certain people have authority to release the detainee. Until that person comes in to work, the detainee must remain detained.
That's right. People are often held for quite a long time until the chief authorises release.

Chismoso

Dec 31, 2022
Puerto Plata
At 10am this morning the innocents were released. Despite video evidence, the alleged thief has not revealed the whereabouts of the jewelry and has since been shipped to Santiago for three months to contemplate .......

Thank for all the sensible replies.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.