K1 process vs. married in DR thus allowing my SO to come over?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good day I have a question suppose you were born in the UK do you have to send the birth certificate to get translated there

Good morning. Not sure I understand your question. You were born in the UK and want to immigrate to the US?

In this thread the discussion is about an American bringing a Dominican to the USA

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Sorry for the confusion I am a permanent resident living in the US, I was born the UK if I wanted to get married in DR would I have to send my British Birth certificate to UK for translation

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry for the confusion I am a permanent resident living in the US, I was born the UK if I wanted to get married in DR would I have to send my British Birth certificate to UK for translation

So you are asking what documents you need to get married in the DR not what you need to sponsor someone to the USA?

If so, yes you need your English birth certificate translated into Spanish

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/marriage_dr-e.html

Last edited:

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
My question is only about the British birth certificate, because I am residing in the US I saw that you have to get the Birth certificate translated in the original country that it was issued. i am asking if this is true or can i get it translated in the US were I reside. All other documents I am aware of what to do, this for only marriage in DR. Thanks

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Correct. Your fianc?'s friend is right about the processing time, though. Current USCIS processing times for immediate relative I-130's is currently running about 9 months to a year. And that's just the I-130. Even after USCIS approves the I-130, your wife will still have to apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy. However, if you don't seem to mind the wait this process is usually less stressful. Plus, unlike the K-1, there is no adjustment of status after your wife arrives in the U.S. She becomes a lawful permanent resident on the same day she is admitted on her immigrant visa. Good luck!

Conditional permanent resident. They have to wait two years to remove conditional status.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Rafael, thanks for the info, my wife is Dominican and has no plans to leave the dr. My new employer has a attorney that will be handling things for me from now on, the wedding paper work was a leaning experience, I learned never do that again DOC

That is fine, but CR1 is a residency visa. If she does not plan to live in US, in all likelihood it will be denied.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My question is only about the British birth certificate, because I am residing in the US I saw that you have to get the Birth certificate translated in the original country that it was issued. i am asking if this is true or can i get it translated in the US were I reside. All other documents I am aware of what to do, this for only marriage in DR. Thanks

As far as I know, the Dominican consulate in US will translate any apostiled document.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Well everyone thank you! I'm now married & looking into I-130 now. Seems like a simple application!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not 100% accurate. if the OP was residing in DR, which it appears he is not, he could do DCF at the consulate in DR. Been there, done that, got the t shirt. Went very quickly. I am thinking 3 months for visa in hand.

I am a US citizen and a legal resident here in the DR. I have lived here continuously for 10 years and have been married to my Dominican wife for 2 years. I do not have a residence in the US. Would the DCF be the best way for me to go? Should I use an attorney here or in the US, or is it easy enought to do myself?

I am not planning on starting this application for about 6 months, but I am considering trying to get a tourist visa to the US for a short 2 week vacation this summer. I've heard this is next to impossible. Have you heard anyone married to a US citizen ever being approved for a tourist visa?

Thanks.