Katmandu

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Well... Anybody else get the impression she got a little coaching and free admission to write a glowing review?

BTW, if you run into the "Insider" paywall/allow ads roadblock, open the page on your Brave browser and enjoy ad-free reading.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well... Anybody else get the impression she got a little coaching and free admission to write a glowing review?

BTW, if you run into the "Insider" paywall/allow ads roadblock, open the page on your Brave browser and enjoy ad-free reading.
About the only thing that interested me was the 2nd story bar.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I go by here all the time. More people in a grave yard.............
Theme parks in the RD do not do well. Some were constructed as a scheme for money laundering... ie: park in Bavaro supporting the Benitaz Brothers Medicare fraud. Other parks had big dreams and little revenue, ie: water park in Juan Dolio. Financial institutions that offer loans for park constructions are taking big risks. So, they limit what they loan and charge high interest.

Good luck for Katmandu

Regards,

PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Theme parks in the RD do not do well. Some were constructed as a scheme for money laundering... ie: park in Bavaro supporting the Benitaz Brothers Medicare fraud. Other parks had big dreams and little revenue, ie: water park in Juan Dolio. Financial institutions that offer loans for park constructions are taking big risks. So, they limit what they loan and charge high interest.

Good luck for Katmandu

Regards,

PJT
They don't need any money from banks. It is owned by Melia. And they also own all the property it is built on. Formerly Palma Real Mall. They also own Cocotal. They have plenty of money. Just not too smart with what they do with it sometimes....................

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They don't need any money from banks. It is owned by Melia. And they also own all the property it is built on. Formerly Palma Real Mall. They also own Cocotal. They have plenty of money. Just not too smart with what they do with it sometimes....................
Hey, folks with kids need to have something for them to do outside of the resort. It's probably a loss leader while creating jobs for Dominicans. Win/win.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hey, folks with kids need to have something for them to do outside of the resort. It's probably a loss leader while creating jobs for Dominicans. Win/win.
Actually you do not have to leave the resort to enter through the back. So it is nice for the guests. But the property is gigantic. There are many different Melia Hotels on it..............

Reactions: NanSanPedro

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This poster is well aware of Melia's interests in the area. It is possible it does not need money from the banks. However, it and many other companies similar to it may have their money tied up in assets, assets that are not liquid. Taking out loans from financial institutions may be more cost effective than using company money. Loans can be tax deductable. The DR DGII may provide an additional tax break for foreign hospitality businesses borrowing money to invest in upgrading its presence in the country. Getting back to Melia, the Katmandu park could be an example of this process, but that is debatable, not known for sure. Yet, if Katmandu park's balance sheet is in the red then there is a possible tax write off.

Wrapping up theme parks in general in the DR is that they are a risky enterprise.

Regards,

PJT

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Good luck for Katmandu

Regards,

PJT
Don't forget to mention that most theme parks built in the DR are still in business (Kaskada in Santiago, Splash in SD, the several theme parks currently up and down the coast from Uvero Alto to Cap Cana, etc.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I've noticed that they are now offering a Resident pass for anyone who is a Dominican or has residency. You have to show proof so if you're one of the exit-fee gang you won't be allowed in. It's US$ 49 per adult (anyone over 13 is an adult) or US$ 29 per child, which seems much more reasonable.

Reactions: Auryn

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It is very interesting reading the Tripadvisor reviews for Katmandu. Firstly, everyone mentions that it was empty. There are a lot of glowing reviews posted by people who have only ever posted 1 review, which always looks highly suspicious. The other reviews which can be taken more seriously all say that it was overpriced (they paid US$ 120 a head) and there wasn't a great deal to do there. Evidently 9 rides, and most are like 3d based experiences.

I do hope you go Nan as I'd like some honest feedback on whether its worth it, for US$ 49 a head. I think it's worth giving it a try reasonably soon as I get the impression it won't be around for much longer.

Reactions: Auryn

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
It is very interesting reading the Tripadvisor reviews for Katmandu. Firstly, everyone mentions that it was empty. There are a lot of glowing reviews posted by people who have only ever posted 1 review, which always looks highly suspicious. The other reviews which can be taken more seriously all say that it was overpriced (they paid US$ 120 a head) and there wasn't a great deal to do there. Evidently 9 rides, and most are like 3d based experiences.

I do hope you go Nan as I'd like some honest feedback on whether its worth it, for US$ 49 a head. I think it's worth giving it a try reasonably soon as I get the impression it won't be around for much longer.
It is always empty and the price is crazy for a few theatre (4-D?) attractions. The only thing that looks worthwhile is the mini-golf, and I think they're now allowing you to purchase that on its own for ~$20 USD. The Dolce Italia restaurant before you go in is the best thing about that whole area.

@NanSanPedro -- here is a Youtube video review that shows what they're offering. The photos from this review show just how dead the place is.

Reactions: NanSanPedro