Motherland Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
DR is what it is because of Spain, what Spain did to the habitants of the island back in those days they didn't do to the Dominicans or not even to the ancestors of the Dominicans, they did that to the original habitants of the island. As a consequence the current Dominican nation and culture could emerge. Saying the Dominicans should blame Spaniards for anything is almost like saying the current Americans should blame the English for doing what they did to the Indians.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
About this "motherland" issue, I've heard other Latin American people, not only Dominicans, refer to Spain as "La madre Patria" just as they would refer to Puerto Rico as " La Isla del Encanto" or "The land of Enchantment", so I can see that for some people it's just a nickname or colorful reference name. I also remember seeing the term in some tourism ad, something like "Vamos para la Madre Partria". So, for some It's just a nickname!

Dec 26, 2011
DR is what it is because of Spain, what Spain did to the habitants of the island back in those days they didn't do to the Dominicans or not even to the ancestors of the Dominicans, they did that to the original habitants of the island. As a consequence the current Dominican nation and culture could emerge. Saying the Dominicans should blame Spaniards for anything is almost like saying the current Americans should blame the English for doing what they did to the Indians.

In both countries, aside from the displacement of aboriginal peoples, the greatest tragedy is the slavery that was practiced. Dark-skinned Dominicans are the children of slaves. Their ancestors were not willing partners with the Spanish. Bygones be bygones, but let's not whitewash history.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In both countries, aside from the displacement of aboriginal peoples, the greatest tragedy is the slavery that was practiced. Dark-skinned Dominicans are the children of slaves. Their ancestors were not willing partners with the Spanish. Bygones be bygones, but let's not whitewash history.

Not entirely accurate statement. Many of the blacks in the DR were free men many generations ago, so descendants of slaves would be more accurate. Intermarriage amongst Black, white, and Indian was common, thus the Mulattos. Unless you were there you don't know who was willing or not. No doubt there was plenty of rape, but I'm sure there were plenty of consensual couplings.

Dec 26, 2011
Not entirely accurate statement. Many of the blacks in the DR were free men many generations ago, so descendants of slaves would be more accurate. Intermarriage amongst Black, white, and Indian was common, thus the Mulattos. Unless you were there you don't know who was willing or not. No doubt there was plenty of rape, but I'm sure there were plenty of consensual couplings.

The willingness to participate in sexual union was not what I was referring to. I'm very well-versed in the history of Hispaniola. The fact remains that dark-skinned Dominicans are the children/descendants of slaves. To rewrite history to say that their forebears were willing partners in the formation of the nation is dishonest at best and at worst repugnant.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You are correct, sir.

This is how Spain was able to CONTROL some many countries at that time, it was not their guns, armies, swords etc. The best weapon Spain had an their arsenal was the ability to BRAINWASH Dominicans. Why kill them and turn them into HEROS when BRAINWASHING last FOREVER. Dominicans will always look up to the KINGDOM OF SPAIN, not the Republic of Spain, but the KINGDOM OF SPAIN their official name.

BTW Please STOP calling it the Motherland call Spain what it has TAUGHT over the hundreds of years. Do not let that brainwashing go to waste call Spain "the Kingdom of Spain", Why do some of you think it still carries this as their official name.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
do americans call england the motherland

well, I was certainly brought up with that .. but my grandparents were British.

But we were taught that as school as well, that we have not only language but also law and our constitution which stemmed from British commonlaw but I am not sure that is even taught now.

I think that there are now so many immigrants now from so many countries that they may consider the home country of their own parents or grandparents to be their own "mother country". The US has more folks who claim German ancestry than any other, it seems
Where Did You Come From? This Map Shows You America's Complete Ancestry - Mic

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
America Latina in general is oriented towards the culture they share with each other, which origniated in Spain, like it or not.

Here's a nice example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiQJGogjCoo

Last names, language and many customs (cockfighting, quince), are Spanish. So it is logical to support a Spanish team.

Almost all of the old capitaneria's have also infused some local flavor (African, Indian) in its culture.

About the use of Eurocup - sure you are a Dominican that is well versed in soccer - not I think, that makes the rest of your post hogwash as well.

About the shades of color, I'm sure the many Haitian soldier/Spanish settler couples were all voluntary. This is were most of the coloring of the population comes from. Until then, the population was, especially inland, 95% white.

So when do we start the talk of reparations on that subject, or did they forgot that part in 'black history month'?

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you sure these weren't Spaniards? There are a lot of them in The DR and of course to them Spain is their motherland. Dominicans don't typically watch soccer.

I would agree with you that these people were probably Spaniards. Most Dominicans follow baseball but don't give a rats ass about soccer.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The Motherland for 90% of Dominicans is AFRICA.. Several Generations back. Thats the real Motherland..

Status
Not open for further replies.