Projects!

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I love those optimistic models with three little cars dotted around. The reality is they need to plonk about 1000 cars on the model as well as an AMET stopping all the traffic in the center

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I love those optimistic models with three little cars dotted around. The reality is they need to plonk about 1000 cars on the model as well as an AMET stopping all the traffic in the center

They've shortened it quite a bit. Originally it was supposed to go under the Luperon Rotunda as well.

Anything will make that intersection better.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
And let's not forget this infrastructure project that's just starting - Ave. Colombia, which has turned into another huge bottleneck.

It's hard to believe when I lived there 20 years ago, that area was mostly undeveloped land. Houses that I looked at to buy are now towers.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Finally! SD had so many traffic circles and most were destroyed to make way for tunnels and overpasses. I noticed that in various countries in Central America and in Colombia they didn’t destroy the traffic circles, simply built the tunnels under them and the overpasses over them. I think eventually many of the traffic circles destroyed in SD will be returned. It was by orders of Balaguer that the center of many of these traffic circles had a statue (of a different person in each one.)

SD was ‘t the only one with many traffic circles. I remember when Santiago had many and so did Puerto Plata before the redid Manolo Tavárez (then named Circunvalación Sur, was made of cement and had a central median with cana palms along it, but not as close as in the malecón of SD.) You can still tell where some of the PP traffic circles were.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
And let's not forget this infrastructure project that's just starting - Ave. Colombia, which has turned into another huge bottleneck.

It's hard to believe when I lived there 20 years ago, that area was mostly undeveloped land. Houses that I looked at to buy are now towers.
JD Jones... I have to admit you were right about Abinadar all along. He is the best Presidente this country has ever had, and he is the man to bring the Dominican Rebublic to the the top of latin America in ecomonic growth... and best of all he is as honest as the day is long.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD Jones... I have to admit you were right about Abinadar all along. He is the best Presidente this country has ever had, and he is the man to bring the Dominican Rebublic to the the top of latin America in ecomonic growth... and best of all he is as honest as the day is long.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well thank you, Doc, I do appreciate the kind words.

I just hope he turns his attention to Medio Ambiente soon. The guy that took Jorge Mera's job is a complete 180 and is completely worthless

Reactions: bob saunders

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I just hope he turns his attention to Medio Ambiente soon. The guy that took Jorge Mera's job is a complete 180 and is completely worthless
The interesting thing about the current one is that he is an economist and was highly critical of the economic data the Banco Central was posting during the governments of Leonel Fernández. Several of his criticism were published in the Listín Diario.

He actually contacted me regarding a piece I wrote using BC data basically questioning if that data was accurate.

Then many years later Luis Abinader became president and he was appointed I think it was to the Economic Planification & Development Ministry. That ministry has the advantage it can investigate the veracity of the Central Bank. The point is that hid criticisms went into oblivion. After Jorge Mera was killed, Abinader surprised many when he was removed from the Economic Planification & Development Ministry to the Environment Ministry. Now, why would the president move an economist that was very critical of the data coming out of the Central Bank and go silent on that front when placed at the head of Economic Planification etc? Shouldn’t he be of more use placed on something that has to do with his profession and assuming he was right given his previous criticism of the CB (then he was up there in the PRM)? What could be that the president knows now than before he became president?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Finally! SD had so many traffic circles and most were destroyed to make way for tunnels and overpasses. I noticed that in various countries in Central America and in Colombia they didn’t destroy the traffic circles, simply built the tunnels under them and the overpasses over them. I think eventually many of the traffic circles destroyed in SD will be returned. It was by orders of Balaguer that the center of many of these traffic circles had a statue (of a different person in each one.)

SD was ‘t the only one with many traffic circles. I remember when Santiago had many and so did Puerto Plata before the redid Manolo Tavárez (then named Circunvalación Sur, was made of cement and had a central median with cana palms along it, but not as close as in the malecón of SD.) You can still tell where some of the PP traffic circles were.

Are you talking about roundabouts?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

I would put public education and public health care at the top of the list....and the Presidente is the best man for the job.... the more I think about the Presidente, he is the Abraham Lincoln of the Dominican Republic

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes, but I don't think they'll be coming back. Too much lost real estate. And where's all of the statues?
Many of the intersections where they were are still there in the original size. The traffic circles were removed and the instersections were modified. Look where Churchill/Jiménez Moya and 27 de Febrero meet. Those odd triangles on all 4 corners was to make up for the added space from the original traffic circle once they made that intersection as an +. That was done when the tunnel was built in the late 1990’s by Leonel Fernández 1st government. Even the traffic lights followed the typical American types (originally there were several traffic lights, each vertical but spaced on the same long pole.) That contrasted with the Spanish type traffic lights that are still abundant in SD (one pole bent at the top to create a sort of upside down L and one vertical traffic light on top (or two right next to each other) and another on the side above the sidewalk. In Spain traffic lights are like that almost everywhere.

Anyway, the original traffic circle that was there where those avenues meet could still be re-created.

The traffic circles was a suggestion from Balaguer’s government following the European tradition where traffic circles are abundant all over the place. Remember that Balaguer studied in a university in Paris, France while Leonel Fernández spent a good chunk of his childhood in NYC. Balaguer influenced by Europe and Fernández by the USA.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Notice that Fernández was the one encoraging SD to have more highrises (like NYC with skyscrapers), building cable-stayed bridges (like NYC with the suspension bridges), even twlked of creating SD into a “NY Chiquito.” In fact, one of his last speeches as president he said (paraphrasing “I see SD from the air and I see the many tall buildings, and I think ‘there it’s, the NY Chiquito.’” It was Fernández that created the DR’s first “community college” in San Luis, like the community colleges of the USA.

Remember before Fernández there hardly were any highrises in SD or anywhere else in the DR. One time in an official trip to NYC in a meeting with the Dominican community he was saying as something that symbolizes progress that his policies will make more McDonald’s and Burger King appear in the DR. At that tine there hardly were any in the DR, but that symbolized thestep of the DR becoming like the USA, his ultimate dream.

Hipolito Mejía, who has been a major critic of Fernández, once said that creating things lije the Metro (reminderw of NYC’s subway, norice the first line has an underground section and overground in Villa Mella, like the Subway of NYC) said that Fernández had a strong need to Americanize the DR. That it was something solely of him. Unlike Fernández, Hipólito’s childhood was entirely in the DR.

Reactions: bob saunders