Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
I will happily walk to the entrance/exit of a beach Resort to meet my Uber driver, knowing he will charge me a fraction, SMALL fraction of the prices charged by the syndicate.
I will have a big smile on my face as I take the 5 minute walk to the hotel entrance.

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
ps. I the meantime if anyone knows of any "local" taxi drivers who charge reasonable rates in Bavaro, please let me know . PM me.

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
pps The black cabs in London tried to stop UBER, and failed miserably.......now I use Uber in London for less than half the cost of a black cab.
And using UBER in Santo Domingo last week, 2 journies in new cars with a/c, both less than 150 pesos.
UBER...bring it on.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Any update on Uber in Punta Cana?

There is no Uber in Punta Cana, and I doubt there will ever be one. Hotels here only let Taxis that they OK to pick up people
at the Hotels. But any Taxi can drop off someone.

mcfcfan

Aug 29, 2008
There is no Uber in Punta Cana, and I doubt there will ever be one. Hotels here only let Taxis that they OK to pick up people
at the Hotels. But any Taxi can drop off someone.

We will be back there in July, so fingers crossed, will let you know.
stephen

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
I have been using the same cab driver for 5 years in Santo Domingo very good guy and reasonable rates. But do not know any drivers in Punta cana. So looking for someone that can drive 6 of us from airport to hotel then from hotel to supermarket then back to hotel. Anybody??

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Basically, none of these hotel chains have transportation for clients? That is kind of funny! Hum

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Basically, none of these hotel chains have transportation for clients? That is kind of funny! Hum

Some have an arrangement if a bunch are arriving at the same time, none is a little extreme.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

nope.
they do not provide airport shuttle services or such as we are used to it from the usa for example.
if you purchase a vacation package, then usually the roundtrip transfers are included in that and provided by a company contracted by the touroperator.
other than that. there are several dozen Transfer Companies offering the services
and there are the Taxis of course.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Some have an arrangement if a bunch are arriving at the same time, none is a little extreme.

"agreement".
that means on group bookings etc a hotel contracts a independend transfer company and has the transfer price already included in your booking price.
but here in punta cana i would not know of a single hotel/resort that run's a airport shuttle service for their guests.

Mike

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A close friend, pre-booked his honeymoon and his an airport transfer from PUJ to his resort was part of a package of some sort.
Nothing is FREE, so I am sure it was pre=paid / negotiated.
I know you are the PUJ guru, you never arrange an airport pickup for 6 guys booking a $1200 sportfishing trip?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
A close friend, pre-booked his honeymoon and his an airport transfer from PUJ to his resort was part of a package of some sort.
Nothing is FREE, so I am sure it was pre=paid / negotiated.
I know you are the PUJ guru, you never arrange an airport pickup for 6 guys booking a $1200 sportfishing trip?

thats done by the hundreds every day, packages almost always include contracted transfer services in the price, as i said before.
but there are no shuttle services like i know it from other countries,
running frequently to specific hotels like every 30 minutes or every hrs etc from the airport.
in punta cana it is all contracted out, due the transfer unions big bucks Mafia style powers.
hence only specific Taxi or Transfer Services can pick you up at specific hotels to go anywhere, like to the airport or a excursion or to visit friends etc.
every company can bring you To the hotel, but to leave means to go by the ones who run a payroll with the hotel/resort.
i liked the shuttle services i used often during my travels thru the usa.
you arrive at a airport, leave towards the Bus-Area and there are countless signs/stops for the different shuttles to the different hotels in the nearby area.
they run frequently, never any real wait for the next one.
hopp on the bus and he drop's ya off at the hotellobby.
just tip the driver, no other fee so far.

Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
To my knowledge only Grupo Punta Cana (Tortuga Bay, Four Points and Westin) and maybe Club Med do this but they're within 5 minutes of the hotel so not a big problem providing transportation. For Canadian travellers, if they purchase a package from a Canadian tour operator they almost always have the transportation wrapped in but this is not coordinated or provided by the hotel. That's why taxis don't want to release their hold on PUJ, it's a great business they've got going there.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Kate,
Grupo Punta Cana does carry specific guests around, between airport and hotels and also between the beachside and PC Village.
they can do so without asking the unions or whom ever, as it all happens within their own private property.
even the PC Airport is part of their own property, lol.
hence they also provide some convenient services others can't, like real express Immigrations and Customs Services for example.

Mike