Punta Cana vs. Boca Chica.

J

John

Re: TW !wake up!

the best place to stay is juan dolio. just 30 mins. drive to the world's class Santo Domingo city. they have some resorts, not very nice, but much better than boca chica. as well as some small inns. they have decent clubs, bars, restaurants, they have Tennis, golf, villas (authentic villas, not those deteriorated boca chica houses which TW insist to call Villas. and the best af all, you will mix with a different crowd, not with those drunkers and horny BC fans.

D

Diana

Re: For MB

Juan Dolio is still in the middle of nowhere right off the highway and again you're confined to a resort, if it's not so nice than(as John said) and you want a resort than I would head to PC. But MB I would stick to your first choice BC, you will have a good time. If you want a resort than choose Hamaca it's one of the nicer resorts and can easily leave the property to go into town to walk around. When I was in BC I stayed at the Costa Lunga Hotel (not all-inclusive) and can't wait to go back. Wherever you end up just be sure to post your comments regarding your vacation.

S

SCARAMOOCH

Re: Thanks, but i am not a new rich

A GARDENER BY ANY OTHER NAME STILL A GARDENER. A TITLE IS MORE IMPORTANT TO A DOMINICAN THEN THE INCOME.

J

John

to scaramooch

If you know any "gardener" in the States who can build pools, fountains,waterfalls, ponds, jacussy, gazebos, decks, paths and anykind of outdoor architecture for upper class dominicans and foreigners. Planning the layaout for big resorts in punta cana.
landscaping lighting. design of japanese gardens, Asiatico tropical, brittish, mexican. and again "for very picky upper class dominicans" you know what that means? to import lions from Thailand for waterfalls, lanterns from Japan, Tiles from mexico, etc.
If you know a "gardener" who is able to do this, bring him to me. I will pay him US 5,000/month. the only requirements:
Degree in Landscaping Architecture from a prestigious US university.
5 years of experience as a "gardener"
experience in Autocad 3D
be able to communicate with upper class dominicans.

J

Jim Hinsch

See http://dr1.com/2001/index.cgi?read=63312
and http://dr1.com/2001/index.cgi?read=63356

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: John, learn before you talk

John:

Your put down of Dominican architecture and houses in the Dominican Republic have brought you down to almost ridicule. In response to your nonsense about asking for US$1,000,000 to build a house in Santo Domingo, or for that matter in Boca Chica I replied to you that if I were to commission a million dollar house from a Mexican-graduated architect I would rather choose world class Architect Ricardo Legorreta than go with an unknown quantity like you.

Your reply was that you know Legorreta and that he has stated " I would only build a house for someone who deserves it" as meaning that $1,000,000 is small potatoes for him and that Dominicans could not afford him, or even be considered by him.

It so happens that Ricardo Legorreta builds for middle income people in places like Santa Fe, New Mexico a small little desert town with only 65,000 people, hardly a match for Santo Domingos monstrous apartment spread, and his condos, although beautifully designed with the greatest of taste and simplicity would be considered small potatoes here in Santo Domingo. Logarreta project company called ZOCALO is just another real estate venture like any other, nothing special. Anybody can buy one of his housing units. In fact, some of these condos in Santa Fe are quite small in comparison to high class Dominican Condos in the Piantini and Anacaona Avenue. For instance he has a 1022 sq.mt. apartment for $195,000. That is only 94 mts. Some of the Anacaona apartments have rooms that small. The largest unit called the "Dorado" model for $425,000 is a mere 2265sq.ft. or 210mts. That would be considered a low size unit in a high class neighborhood in Piantini. The 3br top of the line unit, the "Esquina" has bedrooms so small, Dominican high class families would not even consider it.

John, if any Dominican calls Logarreta and his Zocalo outfit to come to DR to design and construct, he would come running like a roadrunner. True he has some real expensive mansions in Hollywood, but he also builds where the money is. And DR has plenty of that. It is just that we do not need him. As far as you are concerned, if you think DR is so small and tacky for you, what are you doing here? Looking for any business?

TW

D

Doug

People I know a gentleman that reads this board, he does not contribute,(although reading it, is contributing)and is having second thoughts about going to Boca Chica. What he wants to do is party, party, and party, meet some girls and relax on the beach with some local flavour. He wants to go to bars at night where there is gonna be lots of women, he also wants to be able to go to the Capital without much trouble(time wise)he also wants relativly cheap hotels that are safe, and wants to be able to party all night. I've taken the liberty to tell him that Boca Chica is going to be a very good choice for him.....but with all this negative response about Boca Chica he is having second thoughts. I've been to Boca Chica(spent more time there of all places on the island, besides the Capital, and I am kind of particular to the place....as most of you know)and like the place and believe this is right up his alley. I really think that Boca Chica would be a good choice for him for the first time there, and like I have told him....there is always the Capital close by if he wants a change of scenery for a coupla nights during his stay.What does everyone think???He will be reading your responses. Thanks!

T

TC

Custom designed

Doug, no one could custom design an area to better suit these needs : ":What he wants to do is party, party, and party, meet some girls and relax on the beach with some local flavour. He wants to go to bars at night where there is gonna be lots of women, he also wants to be able to go to the Capital without much trouble(time wise)he also wants relativly cheap hotels that are safe, and wants to be able to party all night"

If you friend does not find what he is looking for in Boca Chica, he is not telling you what he really wants, it is perfect for him.

D

Dale

In this case I would say go to Boca Chica for a few days,party,party.party,see the capital, then head to the north coast

J

Jan

when in RD...

OK...so when your in RD why look for NY here...If you want NY go there.If your here you need to accept it the way it is..Or do you want all the world to be America? I sure don't..thats why I am here

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: John, why contradict yourself?

John: You say that Santo Domingo is a world class city, yet the architecture, by your own standards does not exist. You say the hi-rises along Anacaona Avenue are fake and overvalued, yet you also say you live there. So I guess you overpaid!!!

How do you overvalue something? The price of an item or property is determined by the market. People who buy condos at Anacaona Avenue feel they have paid a fair price. Why dont you? Why is the land in Mexico City, a sinking city with no air to breath and an earthquake fault itself, anymore valuable than land in our city? Why dont you move to Mexico? Let me tell you that Anacaona Avenue is the type of avenue that would fit right in with any major city in the world and would be very expensive anywhere. Everytime I drive thru it it reminds me of Hollywood Blvd. in Chicago, a pretty chic avenue by the Lakefront and it has one of the worlds best known celebrities, Sammy Sosa.

You also dont like the wall at the Hamaca that separates the riff raff from the private people. Yet, you dislike whores and tigueres from Boca Chica. Or was it perhaps that you want to stay in the side of the tigueres? Which is it John?

Be consistent.

TW

L

Loren

Some lakes are greater than others

Lake Erie has cleaned its act up since the 1960's when it was yucky. Now it produces more fish harvest for human consumption than the other 4 lakes combined.

Because of the infamous Zebra mussel the water is now crystal clear. There are not considerable incidences of mutated fish, etc. and the water is safe for immersion and consumption. Counts of Fecal Coliform Bacteria are not at threat levels.

Lake Erie gets hot in the summer. Lake Superior stays cold but it is almost 1000 feet deep. Lake Erie is warm, shallow and biologically productive.

Ploychlorinated Biphenyls are not a major problem in Lake Erie, though there is some naturally occuring Mercury.

Lake Erie is cool, and has some of the best freshwater fishing in the world, is challenging for boaters (most shipwrecks of freshwater lakes) and even has a couple of beaches, though that is not the attraction. Lake Erie is enjoyable from March until October. TW I invite you,and anyone else. And if you want high-falutin stuff we can go to the flats up by Cleveland but the real fun stuff is in the West Basin.

Maybe not the best place in the world for December beach fun, but the fishing is killer and overall it is a kickass place.

L

Loren

Juan Dolio is not nowhere...

It is a suburb of the bustling metropolis of San Pedro de Macor?s.

D

Doug

Re: Some lakes are greater than others

Loren: You totally forgot about LK Huron which in my opinion is the cleanest of all five and the beaches are probably the best there as well, you have the Pinerys on it, Wasaga Beach,Grand Bend....and many more very high traffic beach ares along the shores of Lk Huron!! Also the fishing is superb there as well!

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: John, learn before you talk *PIC*

Hopefully, he'll read all the comments and looks at the Boca Chica web site.

See http://dr1.com/2001/index.cgi?read=63312
and http://dr1.com/2001/index.cgi?read=63356

I wasn't even going to responsd to John, his comments being so absurd.