Santiago: Penthouse Rental With No Garantee

Apr 7, 2014
I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that high price.

a. they want more money. in a 15% occupied building they think they should be getting Miami numbers for these units.
b. they are serious about their business which is why you call numbers and they are out of service, wont call you back. you best bet is finding a number with a corresponding Whatsapp account.
c. for 45,000DOP you should be finding VERY NICE places in relatively NEW buildings no matter the neighborhood. Forget house, think high rise apartment.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I have found the Santiago market to be unpredictable.
At times owners will rent short term to foreigners without a cedula and other times will not rent with a guarantor and three months in advance.
Seems many owners are scared of getting scammed. It is very difficult to find a good place at a good price in a good area. Money talks but not as loud as one might think. Many places stay empty but not because there is no interest.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like what has been said here:

Santiago is NOT a tourist destination.

There are very few apartments built/bought for rental purposes.

Usually other events bring about the rental of a nice apartment.

What works against an "easy" RE market for short term rentals?

Easy.

People who destroy the property.

People who leave the A/C on all day and night and then leave with a R$45,000 electricity bill pending.

And there are hundreds of stories. I know of cases where people even took the sanitation facilities--john and wash basins!! Yeah, they really did!!.

The place I mentioned is currently on loan, so it is unavailable.

There are places, like one nice poster said, "for $1,000"....yes....In La Vega you can do even better.

Drop me a line if you want.

HB, being nice this morning........