SD-Samana Toll Road : Protests 3rd & 4th Feb?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

It's a beautiful road but the DR Gov. gave away the farm to build it. It was constructed by a Columbian construction company under a cloud of controversy. The Dominican Gov officials guaranteed that this company would receive a certain amount of dollars, financed by tolls, each year. The tolls on the last stretch of road between El Catey and Coson are ridiculous. This road was supposed to support tourism and but as often happens in the DR it's construction padded the pockets of politicians.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I The tolls on the last stretch of road between El Catey and Coson are ridiculous. This road was supposed to support tourism and but as often happens in the DR it's construction padded the pockets of politicians.

That's a given. And why every crook wants to go into politics.
At least it was likely built to a higher standard than if a Dominican company built it

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was planning to go from San Pedro de Macoris to Las Terrenas on Tuesday, 4th Feb, the second day of the proposed blockage. I wonder how I can check if it is happening that day?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looking at the dates ---

They seem to be smart enough to avoid disrupting the weekend traffic to LT and back
Sat/Sun = very busy days on that road

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You can always take the old road - past Sanchez then up & over

That's the way I always go, but according to the article it looks like it's the southern stretch, from Las Americas up to near Nagua that will be blocked:

"La Federación Nacional de Trabajadores del Transporte Social Cristiano (Fenatransc) llamó este miércoles a los operadores de rutas del transporte de pasajeros de la autopista del Nordeste o Juan Pablo II (que va de Santo Domingo a Samaná), y sus zonas aledañas, a que paralicen sus actividades de tránsito y transporte en esta vía los días 3 y 4 de febrero, para demandar del gobierno la rebaja del peaje y una revisión al contrato con la empresa que regentea la vía."

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Well originally there was going to be a 15 day grace period after the initial protest. This would fall inside the 15 days.

I have been told that the protest is not going to happen......

In anycase, I have to go to SD on the 3rd, so will report back ;-)