Teleferico Construction Completed

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
How was the new telefrico? I know the Phase II will be due in no time for exenstion to USAID I believe

TravelOverSky

Dec 30, 2023
Domican Republic
Everyone says that there will be monorail open at the end of the year. From Cien Fuegos to Central terminal of teleferico, they are already working on it, Avenida Las Carreras in some places is closed due to construction works. In my opinion, it definitely won't be finished that quickly and there will be delays (as with first line of cable car). They also want to make two more stations of teleferico, as you said to USAID and Arroyo Hondo, but to be honest I don't know when..

The ride itself was nice, Santiago needed it, it will probably make a greater impression if the line is longer, but overall the impressions were positive. I don't think it would attract tourists as a tourist attraction, but it is certainly good for the development of the city.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The only teleférico that has been meant to be to a tourist attraction since its inception is the one in Puerto Plata. Other than that, the rest are meant to be modes of transport for the residents more than actual tourist attractions, though line 1 of the SD teleférico it too has become a tourist attraction of sorts.

Personally, I think teleféricos are more for political propaganda due that they can be built with less money and time than monorails or metros. It gives the president something to inaugurated while proporting it helps combat the traffic jams. Reality is that teleféricos don’t transport as many people as do metros or monorails. That line of the Santiago’s teleférico should had been one more line of the monorail. A city like Santiago doesn’t need teleféricos (one could also make the case for Santo Domingo.)

Many times cities like Medellín, Colombia are used as example of cities with teleféricos. Yes and those teleférico lines go up and down the dides of mountains, they don’t crisscross relatively flat cities like Santo Domingo or Santiago. Even the first Dominican teleférico, which is the one in Puerto Plata, goes up a mountain, it doesn’t crisscross the city. In fact, it’s useless to get around the city. In Bolivia too there are teleférico in one or more cities and there too, they go up and down mountains.

What’s next? Santo Domingo barrios will see the government building people mover akin to the escalators in Medellín?

The DR trying to reinvent the wheel… again!

The only city in Hispaniola that could use trleférico’s as seen in Medellín is Port-au-Prince with all those slums going up the mountains. That and escalators.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The only teleférico that has been meant to be to a tourist attraction since its inception is the one in Puerto Plata. Other than that, the rest are meant to be modes of transport for the residents more than actual tourist attractions, though line 1 of the SD teleférico it too has become a tourist attraction of sorts.

The only city in Hispaniola that could use trleférico’s as seen in Medellín is Port-au-Prince with all those slums going up the mountains. That and escalators.
Well, escaltors and full body condoms.

FYI, the one in Puerta Plata is a blast. Highly recommended.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I always said they should put the saign saying it was made in Milan, Italy in the second station on top of the mountain. Though I don’t think it has happened yet, but technically someone that doesn’t trust Italian engineering would balk from riding it in the first station. lol

That teleférico has been there since the 1970’s and it has never had an issue. They actually change the cables with new ones every few years.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I took some friends to the teleferico at Gualey the other day and as we were going in , a bus-load of tourists was coming out. I personally think it's very humbling and important for people to see the level of poverty that some Dominicans live in. But I am also aware that those in charge of tourism here don't like the idea very much, they just want tourists to come and stay in AI's and see a nice polished version of the country. We did get some comments from a guy who was sitting in our car that it was wrong for tourists to be looking at the poor barrios, but on subsequent sectors we just asked to be in a car on our own and the security people stopped others getting on, I think they're pretty used to tourists.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I would support any new mode of transporation that would take people from A to B, that all I would support to less traffic, I agree.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I always said they should put the saign saying it was made in Milan, Italy in the second station on top of the mountain. Though I don’t think it has happened yet, but technically someone that doesn’t trust Italian engineering would balk from riding it in the first station. lol

That teleférico has been there since the 1970’s and it has never had an issue. They actually change the cables with new ones every few years.

Never had an issue? You may want to reconfirm that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I took some friends to the teleferico at Gualey the other day and as we were going in , a bus-load of tourists was coming out. I personally think it's very humbling and important for people to see the level of poverty that some Dominicans live in. But I am also aware that those in charge of tourism here don't like the idea very much, they just want tourists to come and stay in AI's and see a nice polished version of the country. We did get some comments from a guy who was sitting in our car that it was wrong for tourists to be looking at the poor barrios, but on subsequent sectors we just asked to be in a car on our own and the security people stopped others getting on, I think they're pretty used to tourists.
Right, because no one sees the poverty on their way from PC to Santo Domingo or anyone that lives in Piantini on the way to Las Terrenas or Cabrera. Looking out the window while landing at Las Americas doesn’t quite looks like Miami and that is seen by everybody near a window regardless if they are in business class or coach.

In case no one was aware, one of the main things tourists notice about the DR is the poverty and that’s tsking into account what most tourists see is whatever is between the Punta Cana Airport and the resort where they stayed at, never leaving until is time to fly back home. To get to the line 1 of the teleférico, one has to either drive through the modtly rundown neighborhood in the entire norteastern quadrant of the city or cross the city from the Ozama River with views of the riverside slums clearly visible all the way to the Juan Pablo Duarte station. Buses are also not allowed on the overpasses in La Duarte area, so they will see all the street vendors while passing through that area and notice much of the city doesn’t look particularly wealthy. Add to that the bad sidewalks, the overhead wires which look like a spiderweb, many of the old cars running around, the litter, the vendors in many intersections, etc.

Does anyone truly need to see the DR from the 1st Line of the SD Teleférico to know it isn’t a rich country? They need to pass first through Boca Chica, which looks horrible from the highway despite all, the improvements, before they make it to SD. People in dirty clothes are even seen sleeping under those overpasses.

What about those that head to the north coast? Las Terrenas? La Romana/Bayahibe? Not noticeable?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Right, because no one sees the poverty on their way from PC to Santo Domingo or anyone that lives in Piantini on the way to Las Terrenas or Cabrera. Looking out the window while landing at Las Americas doesn’t quite looks like Miami and that is seen by everybody near a window regardless if they are in business class or coach.

In case no one was aware, one of the main things tourists notice about the DR is the poverty and that’s tsking into account what most tourists see is whatever is between the Punta Cana Airport and the resort where they stayed at, never leaving until is time to fly back home. To get to the line 1 of the teleférico, one has to either drive through the modtly rundown neighborhood in the entire norteastern quadrant of the city or cross the city from the Ozama River with views of the riverside slums clearly visible all the way to the Juan Pablo Duarte station. Buses are also not allowed on the overpasses in La Duarte area, so they will see all the street vendors while passing through that area and notice much of the city doesn’t look particularly wealthy. Add to that the bad sidewalks, the overhead wires which look like a spiderweb, many of the old cars running around, the litter, the vendors in many intersections, etc.

Does anyone truly need to see the DR from the 1st Line of the SD Teleférico to know it isn’t a rich country? They need to pass first through Boca Chica, which looks horrible from the highway despite all, the improvements, before they make it to SD. People in dirty clothes are even seen sleeping under those overpasses.

What about those that head to the north coast? Las Terrenas? La Romana/Bayahibe? Not noticeable?
It's looking better, but the trash all along the marginal roads is incredibly obvious.