That was quick

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The investment itself s worth $60 Million so that is goner now

That's a huge amount of money. I was reading about the entrance prices and they were eye-watering, gosh for a family of two adults and two kids you would spend US$ 1,000.

Let's be honest, DR has always been cheap. Arajet is booming bringing cheap-jack Colombians and Argentinians to Santo Domingo on cheap flights. Frontier and Sprit pile the Americans in on their cheap flights. From the UK they knock out a week in Punta Cana all-inclusive for £1,000 (US$ 1,300), including a 9 hour flight each way. So I can't quite see how anyone thought that they'd get tens of thousands of people paying US$ 1000 to go to a theme park.

Reactions: JD Jones

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It is impossible to think that Melia did not do a market study to determine the demand for such a park. And, that would show its chances of success. This a basic thing one does before making such an investment. Market studies are based on known facts and some assumptions. Assumptions can be wrong. But, at least you know later what went wrong if the business does not succeed. This is a spectacular failure. It would be interesting to see the market study.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The investment itself s worth $60 Million so that is goner now
No way. The place was small and nothing to right home about. And Melia owns the Mall that it was built on. That estimate is total BS...................In Pesos maybe...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No way. The place was small and nothing to right home about. And Melia owns the Mall that it was built on. That estimate is total BS...................In Pesos maybe...........
That sounds a lot more realistic. A little over a million bucks seems very reasonable.

"60 million dollars?? Wow, this is going to be great!!"

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I actually wanted to take my Haitian kid because this is something he may never experience. However when I looked into the cost and value, it was a no go.

A few years ago I took him to Cirque de Soleil at the Hard Rock. To me it was worth it to show him something real nice. But spending close to $700 for a few rides that didn't look that great was not going to happen.

Reactions: JD Jones