The "New" Autopista Duarte (RD-1) | Santiago

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is how the recently government improved and redone Duarte Highway (RD-1) from Santiago de los Caballeros to the bridge to Cibao International Airport and back looks like.

Changes include:

- New official retornos which replaced all the illegal ones. Now it's safer to make a U-turn on the road.
- An extra lane in each direction to expand from 4 lanes to six (three in each direction).
- New median
- Most of the trees in the median are new and outnumber the trees that were there and were removed for the expansion.
- Removal of traffic lights outside Santiago city.
- New Street Lights using LED technology to create more light (white instead of yellow) while using less energy.
- All signs are new (made in SD).
- They are still working on improving the Cibao International Airport / Av Espaillat bridge.

I'm surprised the government didn't built a new toll. There is one leaving GSD.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nice. I remember when I came here there was nothing in that area but country side and the Autopista was a two-lane road.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Regardless of who wins the next election, both Abel and Luis got a lot of love for Santiago.
This means our infrastructure projects will continue without interruption.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keep in mind that Abinader's maiden name is Corona. That family has been in Santiago at least since the 1600's and he descends from those Corona, since before the island was split.

Reactions: NanSanPedro