The UN will open a center for Haitian migrants in Punta Cana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I saw this in the news.i wonder how this will work?
It seems to me that the UN basically facilitates immigrants into any country where they have set this up.
So does that mean those who come can stay?
That could be a problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would what the UN wants to do be allowed to override DR laws?

If the Haitians are illegal, they should deported from the UN's center in Punt Cana.

Reactions: Fulano2 and melphis
Jan 9, 2004
This has the makings of a chess game between the UN and Abinader, with each move seemingly to put the DR in a potentially bad light so they accept more and more Haitian refugees.

Interesting too that they chose Punta Cana as it is far removed from the border as is possible. Notwithstanding there is and has been a large population of Haitians fueled by the need for workers in the booming construction business there..............perhaps there is another agenda at play here.

Like the many documentaries on the plight of Haitian sugar cane workers in the Bateye's......that garnered some world attention, this has the makings of forcing Abinader's hand.

If allowed to develop, and the Haitian crisis continues (which it will), the world press and others will likely weigh in with stories and videos of the stark contrast between the migrant camps and the resorts so close by. It will, by and large, be a bad press campaign to embarrass the government and an attempt to hurt the DR in one of its most economically vulnerable areas......tourism.

And seemingly that campaign would not take much to severely impact tourism, witness the dive tourism took with the bad press surrounding the occurrences of the alleged assaults, tainted alcohol and even deaths.

Your move Mr. President.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Lucifer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My wife says she has seen the response already from Abinader which essentially is : NO!!!!!, or Hell NO!!!!

I have not found out where that is yet.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If allowed to develop, and the Haitian crisis continues (which it will), the world press and others will likely weigh in with stories and videos of the stark contrast between the migrant camps and the resorts so close by.
I was thinking this the other way around. Security concerns for tourists for having migrants staying next to them? It does not sound very good to have migrants from Haiti seeking refuge and families vacationing next to one another...

Reactions: Fulano2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was thinking this the other way around. Security concerns for tourists for having migrants staying next to them? It does not sound very good to have migrants from Haiti seeking refuge and families vacationing next to one another...
Leave it to the UN to come up with some of the worst proposals.

Or, is "the game afoot"?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The news of the migrant center to open in Punta Cana was in the news before yesterday, but yesterday it was in the cover of Listín Diario that the UN cancelled the proposed creation of the migrant center.

It leads to the question: Why was this thread created after it was front page news in practically all the newspapers and in all the news programs that it was cancelled? :unsure:

Anyway, what this show is a sign of the intention of the UN when it comes to Haitian migration to the DR. This isn’t particularly news since it has been known for years what is the intention coming out of NYC, where it is based.

Jan 9, 2004
Oh well, glad it was a nothing burger.

Nice move Mr. President…….whatever caused the UN to cancel. The question is then what did he have to give to get?

And the chess match continues…….because the Haitian issue is surely not resolved.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I saw this in the news.i wonder how this will work?
It seems to me that the UN basically facilitates immigrants into any country where they have set this up.
So does that mean those who come can stay?
That could be a problem.
The UN got kicked in the Ass by Israel and now they are trying to f... the DR. Pretty soon they are going to set up schools to teach the Haitians that the entire Island is belong to them. You just need to kill some inocent civilians and do some kidnapping and the UN becomes your Buddy. The UN is a criminal Organisation !

Reactions: Big and melphis

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The UN got kicked in the Ass by Israel and now they are trying to f... the DR. Pretty soon they are going to set up schools to teach the Haitians that the entire Island is belong to them. You just need to kill some inocent civilians and do some kidnapping and the UN becomes your Buddy. The UN is a criminal Organisation !
The forgot how cholera arrived in Haiti. They probably blame the DR for that too. o_O

Reactions: Manuel01

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

lol, don't go there. Remember reading about Haitian history in the early to mid 1800s? I not sure if I remember accurately, but I think it was Dessalines who wanted all of Hispaniola for Haiti.

Status
Not open for further replies.