Trip Report to Puerta Plata and the Mountain View Hotel.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So I just got back from PP and the Mountain View Hotel. I went there to celebrate my friend Ewod's 27th bday. I've known him and his family for about 13 or 14 years. His dad died way before I met him. I remember literally wading thru ankle deep trash to visit his home where they paid $50/year (yes, per year) back in 2009 or 10. He's got a grandma that's just a few years older than me and is almost totally blind. He also has a mom, younger bro, and sis.

In any case I didn't want to stay in an AI and I can't stay with him for obvious reasons so we found the Mountain View Hotel for $1700 DOP a night. It's rated at 2 stars which is completely fair. I had AC all the time and almost hot water. The bed was comfortable EXCEPT for the pillows made of iron ore. I had to use a wadded up shirt for a pillow for 3 nights. One really nice thing was complementary coffee in the morning. I'm a coffeeholic so that was really a plus for me.

The pillow thing though was the only issue with the hotel. So I paid about $93 USD for 3 nights. If you're wanting a budget place, it's functional. It's not the Hard Rock by any stretch. But it was quiet and peaceful. I was a bit taken aback by the 3 condoms in the room instead of shampoo, but they didn't cause a problem.

For those not in the know like me, Sunday night is pizza night in Puerta Plata. We went to San Jorge, waited for about 80 minutes and left. There had to have been 500 people there. We did get a full refund. Then we went to Pizza Hut, it was not quite as crowded but the service was orders of magnitude better. I happily tipped the lady who was working the table area. The pizza was of course pizza hut quality, but it made us happy and me decidedly less grumpy.

We ate a couple meals and had Ewod's bday party at Aquacero on the malecon. I would grade the food between 2 and 3 stars and the service 5 stars. Lovely ladies taking care of us. Very considerate and nice.

Coming from Boca Chica and prior to that San Pedro, I really appreciate the cleanliness of Puerta Plata. The difference is extremely noticeable. The roads are nice and everything is lit up at night. If the water issue is ever resolved, I would happily consider moving there if I could talk Kenson (my adopted kid) into it, which I can't. We also never had a problem with electric, which is another plus.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've often wondered about the Mountain View hotel but considering it's location and appearance from the outside I think it might have been like that.
At least the condoms weren't used...
You could have bought a reasonable priced pillow at Jumbo or La Sirena within 10 minutes of the hotel.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I'm giggling about the three condoms instead of shampoo. Does anyone remember the woman who stayed in the cabaña and washed her hair and put what she thought was conditioner in it and it went all frizzy. She came on here to ask what it could have been (most votes were for vagina cleanser). That must have been nearly 10 years ago now.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
So I just got back from PP and the Mountain View Hotel. I went there to celebrate my friend Ewod's 27th bday. I've known him and his family for about 13 or 14 years. His dad died way before I met him. I remember literally wading thru ankle deep trash to visit his home where they paid $50/year (yes, per year) back in 2009 or 10. He's got a grandma that's just a few years older than me and is almost totally blind. He also has a mom, younger bro, and sis.

In any case I didn't want to stay in an AI and I can't stay with him for obvious reasons so we found the Mountain View Hotel for $1700 DOP a night. It's rated at 2 stars which is completely fair. I had AC all the time and almost hot water. The bed was comfortable EXCEPT for the pillows made of iron ore. I had to use a wadded up shirt for a pillow for 3 nights. One really nice thing was complementary coffee in the morning. I'm a coffeeholic so that was really a plus for me.

The pillow thing though was the only issue with the hotel. So I paid about $93 USD for 3 nights. If you're wanting a budget place, it's functional. It's not the Hard Rock by any stretch. But it was quiet and peaceful. I was a bit taken aback by the 3 condoms in the room instead of shampoo, but they didn't cause a problem.

For those not in the know like me, Sunday night is pizza night in Puerta Plata. We went to San Jorge, waited for about 80 minutes and left. There had to have been 500 people there. We did get a full refund. Then we went to Pizza Hut, it was not quite as crowded but the service was orders of magnitude better. I happily tipped the lady who was working the table area. The pizza was of course pizza hut quality, but it made us happy and me decidedly less grumpy.

We ate a couple meals and had Ewod's bday party at Aquacero on the malecon. I would grade the food between 2 and 3 stars and the service 5 stars. Lovely ladies taking care of us. Very considerate and nice.

Coming from Boca Chica and prior to that San Pedro, I really appreciate the cleanliness of Puerta Plata. The difference is extremely noticeable. The roads are nice and everything is lit up at night. If the water issue is ever resolved, I would happily consider moving there if I could talk Kenson (my adopted kid) into it, which I can't. We also never had a problem with electric, which is another plus.
Good to know. Haven't been to mountain view in years.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Mountainview used to be run by a really rough character who was friends and heavily indebted to Alberto Noesi.

It used to be a real mess back in those days, but sounds like it's a lot better now.