WAARNING BAD BUG IN WINDOWS v20H2 - Don't use chkdsk!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
With cybercrime on the rise, it’s more important than ever to keep your computer up to date. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn’t had the best track record this year with updates.

The latest Windows 10 update is more than just a little bit bad. Some users on Microsoft’s support forums are calling the October Patch Tuesday updates a “disaster,” and here’s why: The dreaded Blue Screen of Death, failure to install and issues using the File Explorer.

If you already installed the update, here’s what you can do until Microsoft releases a fix.

Kim Komando has a good article on this:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most of the issues in Oct. were fixed or mitigated by the time the November updates came out. I generally wait until just before the next set of updates are due out before installing the previous month's. It is important to patch but you do not need to be in the first 1000 to do so. Better to wait and see what problems others encounter before exposing yourself to the same. Making a disk image before updating has become standard operating procedure for me. You can't assume anymore that MS updates won't hose your computer. Best to let other people be the beta testers. I follow a couple of sites that regularly post patch problems and give an indication when it is ok to patch, but there are never any guarantees that all will go well all the time, so you need a backup plan to restore your computer to working condition if you depend on it - As most of us do to so we can bicker with each other on DR1.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Windows 10 could be the worst version ever. The first thing I do when I buy a computer is change to Windows 8.1, disable all updates and NEVER have a problem for years after doing this. Super fast start ups and shut down also.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Windows 10 could be the worst version ever. The first thing I do when I buy a computer is change to Windows 8.1, disable all updates and NEVER have a problem for years after doing this. Super fast start ups and shut down also.
You forgot windows "Vista"

Reactions: HDR and SKY