What are the laws on bonfires ?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

The internet site of media ambiente is very cluttered and not easy to find specific information.

My question is :

Are we allowed to burn vegetation ?
We are talking about wood, leaves, etc, etc, and not plastics and whatnot.

Any info/ experience is welcomed.

Thanks.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

The internet site of media ambiente is very cluttered and not easy to find specific information.

My question is :

Are we allowed to burn vegetation ?
We are talking about wood, leaves, etc, etc, and not plastics and whatnot.

Any info/ experience is welcomed.

Thanks.
Interesting question. I don't know the answer but would like to know too. You never seem to see any - at least around where I live, so maybe there is some law against it. The other thing is, as most people here have open windows, the smoke could be pretty antisocial if you have neighbours nearby.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
i know somebody that got fined 300,000 RD$ (threehundredthousand) Pesos for burning leaves and other organic material at his finca.
But i can't imagine that a small bonfire bothers anybody. It's like with everything here; always depend on who and where.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't think a controlled burn in a 55 drum would cause much consternation unless it's a smoker.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I don't think a controlled burn in a 55 drum would cause much consternation unless it's a smoker.

I am sure it would not, however I need to know about proper bonfires. The kind to get rid of multiple cubic meters of " mailla de leche ".

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We have bonfires on the beach all the time with sea wood that washes in on the beach. I've seen several others up and down the beach. Never had a problem or complaint so far.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If laws do exist, I’d be very surprised if they are enforced. No one rush’s in to put out burning tire fires during civil unrest. The charcoal fires in the hills continue unabated. Cane fields are burnt annually. Toxic smoke from landfill fires are common.