"PICHARDO",Please See Page 16,"Diario Libre" Today,Monday,April,2nd.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My upper class here is around 20% of the population based on what has been discussed before and my own observations.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It has already been proven that considerable amounts of Dominicans have Tanio and European DNA and of course African.

However, the society is 100% Hispanic and Haiti's antagonistic relationship over the years has made the rejection of all things "Haitian" and by proxy African a part of the culture.

Also, most African slaves were hispanized before coming to the DR and "blacks" here in the DR were never treated nor ostracized to the level they were in the US or other places.

Therefore, there is no reason to expect Dominicans should have embraced their African heritage and if they are criticized the Haitians should be criticized with equal measure for their role.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My upper class here is around 20% of the population based on what has been discussed before and my own observations.

I think that is in SANTIAGO

and PIANTINI and NACO and CASA de Campo

doubt that it actually measures 20% of the population as in 2 million people who are in the market for these torres...

because you simply do NOT see that kind of wealth in the other towns./. or at least I have not seen it.

Most of these FAMILIES.. the 24 or so FAMILIES already OWN the land. They are land poor, if you will. Their only aim in buying an apartment would be if they could rent it and these new torres are going to go begging for tenants for a long time. The maintenance will be high. It will be a long time before they get full up and have a working condo association.

I simply discount ANYTHING that is said by Pic and Nails.. who appear to in the business of selling the DR to other foreigners from their safe havens in CT and FL.. THEY do not even LIVE here!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

doubt that it actually measures 20% of the population as in 2 million people who are in the market for these torres...

because you simply do NOT see that kind of wealth in the other towns./. or at least I have not seen it.

Most of these FAMILIES.. the 24 or so FAMILIES already OWN the land. They are land poor, if you will. Their only aim in buying an apartment would be if they could rent it and these new torres are going to go begging for tenants for a long time. The maintenance will be high. It will be a long time before they get full up and have a working condo association.

I simply discount ANYTHING that is said by Pic and Nails.. who appear to in the business of selling the DR to other foreigners from their safe havens in CT and FL.. THEY do not even LIVE here!

No offense MA but your bias precedes you. Grand conspiracy theories don't help either.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Wait those two do not live in DR, but in FL and CT please tell me you are JOKING!!! Now that takes the cake.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No offense MA but your bias precedes you. Grand conspiracy theories don't help either.

not a conspiracy theory at all, Chip... just history there are a few families that can be named... who control most of the wealth here.. surely you can even name them. There was even a DR1 thread on them.

Not as if I am talking about the Reptialian overlords from Orion!

and yes, Nals lives in CT and Pics lives in Fl

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I would like to know if the Drug Money is creating jobs, schools, hospitals etc? A large part of what "made" the US was blood money. Hey even a former drug dealer was able to use his money to become a respectable member of society and have a son become President.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
That was the drug trade of the day. Big money, not taxed, illegal and a lot of violent deaths

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I would like to know if the Drug Money is creating jobs, schools, hospitals etc? A large part of what "made" the US was blood money. Hey even a former drug dealer was able to use his money to become a respectable member of society and have a son become President.

The history channel portrait Kennedy's father as one of the big runners during the alcohol prohibition. There is no mention of drugs anywhere.... Where did you get this info?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
The history channel portrait Kennedy's father as one of the big runners during the alcohol prohibition. There is no mention of drugs anywhere.... Where did you get this info?

Alcohol is a drug. Don't you know that? One of the most abused ones around.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
It has already been proven that considerable amounts of Dominicans have Tanio and European DNA and of course African.

Hi Chip,

Are you sure? I haven't read that anywhere. I always thought that the 'Taino' thing was just a ruse, and like 3% of the DNA was Taino?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Tax evasion moves and launders more money than the drug runners ever could, wherever...

Illicit liquors move and launders more money than....

You can pretty much fill in hundreds of things that are illegal and still move more cash and launder more than drugs ever could not only here in the DR, but elsewhere there's a profit to be made as well.

The evidence speaks to the contrary of what a many here just "assumed"...

The illegal flights carrying drugs to the DR have dropped to almost nothing since the Super Tucanos and radar went into place.

When ports started to use hi-tech detection in the cargo lines, drug exports dropped big time.

When they used dogs to sniff around airports and people at the airports and ports of entry, smuggling of drugs and even money kept falling in big numbers.

The events that big seizures are taking place is the result of LAW ENFORCEMENT and use of special units for that task alone.

Unlike a many still want to talk out of their rears here, drugs in the DR are harder to insert and move about nowadays.

People that used the RE sector to launder money have wised up since the many cases of property seizures carried out in the past years, to the tune of billions in USD$...

Drug purity went from 99.99% to less than 40% in recent years, with the latest tests revealing a lowering trend as drug shipments into the local market continue to drop.

The DR is quickly inserting the new impresoras fiscales to medium and big business on a fast track mode. This is enabling the DGI to identify front operations to launder cash in the country.

Next year a new auditing system will be introduced, which will link the major distributors, importers, industry and wholesalers to track their sales to merchants with the DGII...

When the Armada gets the new blue sea patrol boats, the final loophole will be shut down for major drug runners in the country.

The DR is neither Mexico nor Puerto Rico when it comes to drugs. We're very far away from that type of environment.

Here the problem lies with weak institutions and low paid Police. The Police is culturally corrupted and learned to complement their income with pay offs and gratuity.

To me the major problem we face is tax evasion in huge numbers. Numbers so big that you can say that if the informal economy is about twice or three times as big as the formal, so too is the tax evasion from that sector alone. Not to even go into the formal sector's tax evasion skills...

How bad is it? When was the last time you paid tax on over 60% of what you got in the country that you can even remember?

And that's YOU as a foreigner living in this country, imagine the ones that like us grew up on this system!

Drugs may be up in the Caribbean region, but in the DR they're surely in the retreat...

The task before government is to see users as sick people in need of medical attention instead of jail. We need to have medical facilities to get them off the drugs first. Second is that regardless of drugs being illegal, a tax stamp must be set for all drugs sold by whomever. When caught, the dealers would face tax evasion measures and their property and any involved in the drug operations confiscated 100% if the tax stamps are not present for each dose they sell.

That cash would more than pay for the cleanup program in medical facilities for addicts.

The other is to make legal the possession and sale of Marihuana in the country, but regulate the use and sale to licensed parlors alone. Make the use tandem with the age for smoking cigarettes and a partial of the taxes levied upon them used to educate and treat addicts as well.

As far as making hard drugs like cocaine or others legal? NOT a chance!

Tax them to kingdom come! Let's tax that cash cow until it pays little to have in circulation.

The idea would be to keep the Marihuana parlors away from the tourists and family centers, but not in seedy places.

And for crying out loud, get this alcohol control notion out of the legal and criminal system!

Let parents deal with their kids as it was back then and worked just fine!

Let's not copy failed policies that only create a more enticing environment for kids to seek that booze...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

However, the society is 100% Hispanic and Haiti's antagonistic relationship over the years has made the rejection of all things "Haitian" and by proxy African a part of the culture.

Also, most African slaves were hispanized before coming to the DR and "blacks" here in the DR were never treated nor ostracized to the level they were in the US or other places.

Therefore, there is no reason to expect Dominicans should have embraced their African heritage and if they are criticized the Haitians should be criticized with equal measure for their role.

What does this have to do with the topic in question?

African slaves were "Hispanized" before coming to the DR? Is that even a word?

What does that even mean? They had to attend seminars on the slave ships before disembarking?

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Good Morning everyone,

I'm beginning to see a trend on this site.
Someone says something, then others jump down their throat saying 'it's not just in DR'.
*shaking my head*

not really productive...