Children's Names

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i actually find myself irrationally drawn to the idea of naming your child in whatever way you want. i mean, it's YOUR child, right? why not name it like you would name your new puppy dog? after something you like, perhaps? i have a friend with a dog named pudding...
or maybe after the looks? shaggy? fluffy? (it is important NOT to make it fluffer)

but no, people always chose predictable and boring (unless they live in manabi, of course). in DR men often want all the kids named after themselves. strange how males are the most proud of the things they do exactly like everyone else: getting drunk and breeding kids... ;)

Dec 26, 2011
I don't know. Saying you met James Bond in San Pedro de Macoris would make for a great story. I wonder how he likes his martinis. I wonder if he's ever had a martini.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
This guy here in Florida named his daughter. African Money and her nickname is Penny..........LOL

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My brother in-laws daughter has his name and her mothers name combined, Winkiara. I have seen this quite a few times. I kid you not there is a woman living in the campo near my in-laws with the name vegina, spelled that way. Maybe this is why so many people have "nicknames" here. Funny I know most all my spouses extended family by their "nickname" rather than by their birth name. For me that was what I always found odd here. Of course I saw it back in the US also but not to the extent they do it here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i actually find myself irrationally drawn to the idea of naming your child in whatever way you want. i mean, it's YOUR child, right? why not name it like you would name your new puppy dog? after something you like, perhaps? i have a friend with a dog named pudding...
or maybe after the looks? shaggy? fluffy? (it is important NOT to make it fluffer)

but no, people always chose predictable and boring (unless they live in manabi, of course). in DR men often want all the kids named after themselves. strange how males are the most proud of the things they do exactly like everyone else: getting drunk and breeding kids... ;)

Most people think of the future of the child and try to prevent the problems that often come with a name the parents thought was cute when their child was a baby.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LOL.... I LOVE it... Just like me... one foot stuck in the gutter, eh dv8??? (I assume I've correctly understood your reference to "fluffer".)

i don't know what you're talking about.

says dv8 innocently.

:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
names of guys who studied with miesposo: mikiway (milky way) and estop (matilda will love that one).

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe this is why so many people have "nicknames" here. Funny I know most all my spouses extended family by their "nickname" rather than by their birth name. For me that was what I always found odd here. Of course I saw it back in the US also but not to the extent they do it here.

I think that a witch has to know your full name to put a spell on you. By using nicknames you confuse the witch and she's not able to make a spell "stick."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think that a witch has to know your full name to put a spell on you. By using nicknames you confuse the witch and she's not able to make a spell "stick."

That's right. Apodos (nicknames) are protection against brujas (witches).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i worked once for an american recruitment company. some of the people i contacted were: priti pusey and raj harricant.
they should elope.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
For example, I've told people that "Danielle" is a girl' s name in the States and they've laughed and think that is totally strange!

It ize becoze everibodee no zi americanze ave a problaim weez aurtograf.

Zats ouaye zey kanote speeque dominican corectlee:)

Barnab?