Cable Cars Coming To Santo Domingo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
a ride above poverty, by el caribe:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/05/25/teleferico-de-sd-un-vuelo-por-la-pobreza/

i think it is a jagged pill to swallow for some, the contrast between the modern and extreme poverty. but teleferico is a part of the solution to ease the life of the working class, who often had to spend a substantial part of their income on public transport. with a better transport solution they can designate this money to cover other needs.

I am happy for the peeps and the fare is fantastic. I talk to a couple of foreigners (USA) and the mentality is ……. well they should have spent the money to fix the electric problem instead. I go yeah, 24/7 electric is really going to help the poorest of the poor.

Say what you like but la rep dom did wonders installing the Metro and now the Teleferico………. kudos

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
a ride above poverty, by el caribe:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/05/25/teleferico-de-sd-un-vuelo-por-la-pobreza/

i think it is a jagged pill to swallow for some, the contrast between the modern and extreme poverty. but teleferico is a part of the solution to ease the life of the working class, who often had to spend a substantial part of their income on public transport. with a better transport solution they can designate this money to cover other needs.

It's no different in Medellin. Some of the areas you cross are extremely poor.

Anything it does to help people move and kill off the "publicos" is great in my book.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am happy for the peeps and the fare is fantastic. I talk to a couple of foreigners (USA) and the mentality is ……. well they should have spent the money to fix the electric problem instead. I go yeah, 24/7 electric is really going to help the poorest of the poor.

Say what you like but la rep dom did wonders installing the Metro and now the Teleferico………. kudos

And the electric problem is weeks away from being resolved.

Everybody here at work is giddy happy because Haina is finally 24/7 after years of horrible blackouts.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Two questions: why didn’t they finish the work before inaugurating....?

How long will it take for them to load 20 passengers in the carts?

:cheeky:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Two questions: why didn’t they finish the work before inaugurating....?

How long will it take for them to load 20 passengers in the carts?

:cheeky:

Lots of videos on Youtube already Mauricio, and it's ten passengers per, not 20. Only takes a few seconds.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Progress is progress but if I had a say on the maters, I would concur with fixing electricity first.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Progress is progress but if I had a say on the maters, I would concur with fixing electricity first.

I think a LOT of people are glad you don't have a say on the matter. :cheeky: Have you ridden the Metro and seen with your own eyes the vast amount of people who benefit from it? Now with the Teleferico in operation my guess is those people probably don't have much in their homes that run off of electricity so saving an hour commute each way to clean the rico's house is a blessing.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
to go where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.......I left my heart (or maybe wallet) in Santo Domingo!!!!!!!!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I think a LOT of people are glad you don't have a say on the matter. :cheeky: Have you ridden the Metro and seen with your own eyes the vast amount of people who benefit from it? Now with the Teleferico in operation my guess is those people probably don't have much in their homes that run off of electricity so saving an hour commute each way to clean the rico's house is a blessing.

Bird you would be surprised what they have at the house that used electrice. but thats beside the point not only do they save an hour transit time but they also save money 20rd can't find a publico for that plus a connection to the metro for the same 20rd. so they will save money and time plus make a little as the rico won't cut the amount that he is currently paying for transport.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Do you realize what the future of this country having 24/7 electricity available on the entire country would translate to as far as progress, development, monies, advances, etc?

But I believe by your own admitted reply that you do not, I mean, when you concerned yourself with the "savings of $20.00 Pesos" as one of the good things brought by having the telesferico, really?

$20.00 Pesos saving vs. so much that having electricity on the entire country will translate to in terms of future developments, economy, money, infrastructure, employment, communications, tourism, the list is endless but you care for $20.00 pesos?

I am glad you do not manage my portfolio and investments!

You clearly have no futuristic vision. Enjoy that ride.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do you realize what the future of this country having 24/7 electricity available on the entire country would translate to as far as progress, development, monies, advances, etc?

But I believe by your own admitted reply that you do not, I mean, when you concerned yourself with the "savings of $20.00 Pesos" as one of the good things brought by having the telesferico, really?

$20.00 Pesos saving vs. so much that having electricity on the entire country will translate to in terms of future developments, economy, money, infrastructure, employment, communications, tourism, the list is endless but you care for $20.00 pesos?

What the telesferico will do for poor people is wonderful, plus lessen the street traffic, and cut down on pollution.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
What the telesferico will do for poor people is wonderful, plus lessen the street traffic, and cut down on pollution.

That is it Mr. Bob, it will do wonders?

You know what would do wonders?

Having electricity 24/7 across the entire island. No having it is one of the main reasons why this country is another ****hole and still a third world country.

Want to see this island moves forward towards the future and far beyond many others LA countries?

Provide 24/7 grid, the future would be as bright as the sun that comes up every day.

What would a telesferico do?

Save you an hour of commute time and a woopie $20.00 Pesos worth of savings, wow!

Last edited:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

20 pesos might be a lot of money for some people in this country, I could well imagine that for some which this teleferico will benefit. For the 24/7 electricity, yes, businesses run better when the electricity is on, of course, but having been on a few campos, I honestly don't see (apart from people having to buy candles) that many people complaining a lot when the light goes out. But, if they have a lot of difficulty to get to their jobs daily, whether the cost rises or they have to get up at 4am to get to somewhere at 6am-7am, I consider that to be more difficult and less desireable option.

Anyone feel free to point me wrong, but I think where the most important sectors in terms of economy etc. are located, there are ways to get electricity there. I'd personally think that even if the luz is not 24/7 but you are relatively easily connected to your work/study etc. place, that is a big thing and supports progress.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Let us know if you take a ride bigbird!

Done deal AE, and all I got to say is ……………. It's a Beautiful Thang that Santo Domingo Teleferico…. it's a beautiful thang...

I took my chances and lucked out. I took Metro Line 2 to Eduardo Brito for the transfer to the Teleferico. Since I was transferring I ended up in the short, short line of only a few people. Now if you were originating your Teleferico ride at Eduardo Brito the line was three blocks long standing in the hot sun. Same as when line 1 of the Metro first opened. No one is really going anywhere they just want to ride and see what it is all about.

No chaos, very smooth operations. There is someone to assist and point you the right way ever twenty feet or so. Oh how sweet it is. The first Teleferico system takes you two stops then you get off the first and onto the second system for the last two stops. It is really nice and something I could do just to take the ride. It is no secret I love the Metro well this Teleferico might just take over the #1 spot or at be tied with the Metro. Simply AMAZING...……….

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
2z6hunr.jpg

148pz00.jpg

125rrbd.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Does anyone have the stats on the teleferico? Number of cars? Curious cuz the cars just kept a coming and a coming. Seem to be no end…………...