Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes! I have been to Trinidad and Guyana....good heat there. I am not a fan of heat and mustard though. I grow Carolina Reapers and Butch T Scorpions....nice burn with those....handle with gloves and care.

In the early nineties when I was divorcing my first wife I was one day making my "famous" hot sauce, had just finished the sauce and wanted to clean up when the doorbel rang. It was my new girlfriend who was overcome with passion and started "attacking" me in the hallway, within moments she was naked and then all of a sudden she screamed and I got slapped.
It turned out that I hadn't washed my hands correctly and she got turned on a in different way. ;)

May 29, 2006
Well, there's plain mustard powder, then there's Colemans. I mix with water, and it'll make that chinese stuff seem like knat's ****.

I use an empty one pound Colemans can to store my small kitchen equipment. It's the industry standard in commercial cooking.

May 29, 2006
One reason wings aren't as good as they used to be is many restaurants changed from Frank's at $16/gallon to Texas Pete and other cheap hot sauces. Now it's hard to find any place that sells wings for less than a buck each. Supply and demand. At one place I worked 25 years ago, we use to put out 15 or 20 pounds of free wings every Friday Happy hour. Three free wings with every dollar draft. Those days are long gone.

Buffalo wings use Frank's. Anything else is just wings. Upstate NY had a good thing until the Bills had a few good years. Now bone in wings are the most expensive part of the chicken.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you like the Chinese Hot Mustard that they serve, you need to pick up some powder. All you do is mix with water to the right consistency and let sit for about 30 minutes. Let me know, I'll bring you down some. It's the real deal and will keep your sinuses cleared out.

It's like a nuclear blast in your head.

21j653k.png
Where is that available? I like hot mustard on some Chinese dishes. I ask in restaurants here and get glazed looks in return.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One of the disappointments of the DR is the lack of heat. Franks hot sauce is ketchup. Where are the ghosts, where are the scotch bonnets? I make my own hot sauce out of reapers....where is the hot sauce?
Heat is subjective and a matter of taste.

Some like the burn. Some like the flavor.

I'm in the latter group. I like spicy, but draw the line when the heat overpowers the flavor.

I had a guest here two weeks ago, a magazine writer who is 100% Chinese-American (and at 6'2", 230---about my size---one of the largest Chinese guys I've even known), a gourmet Chinese fooder aficionado, and for two days after the tour learned several really interesting techniques for Chinese cooking.

1c0d6c50-8971-43ca-8ab0-1fe80047a664_zps2siu5wk2.jpg

At Nacional, he bought a bottle of Sriracha Chili Sauce (by Roland) that while not the cell-damaging hellfire hot sauce, is thicker, definitely has a strong fever bite, with just enough sweet overtones for a most pleasing complex flavor experience. Nice!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I buy a pound each time but I split it between three houses. But you'd be surprised how fast it goes.

Just remember to make the consistency runny. If you don't it won't mix well in the food and you'll get a "clump" of concentrated hot mustard. That's the nuclear blast part I mentioned. I learned the hard way. Enjoy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I buy a pound each time but I split it between three houses. But you'd be surprised how fast it goes.

Just remember to make the consistency runny. If you don't it won't mix well in the food and you'll get a "clump" of concentrated hot mustard. That's the nuclear blast part I mentioned. I learned the hard way. Enjoy.
Great for clearing the sinuses...

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

Does this seem like a reasonable recipe?
http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-hot-mustard-454709