US has called back to D.C. the U.S. ambassador to Dominican Republic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe this could be a huge waste of brain cells. As well known, the US of A has one or two current foreign policy issues regarding China (see other thread), and recalled their ambassadors to advise them in person of whatever the company line may currently be. More than likely, it will be an information briefing on what NOT to say in public within foreign circles in the respective host nations, since none of these ambassadors are lifelong diplomats. I see it as a standard operating procedure, and nothing worth getting into a fret over. They were recalled, not pulled.

Discussing what should and should not be said does not require an in person meeting back in the USA.

The recall of an ambassador is a serious step. There is no standard operating procedure historically on this type of action. It is done to show extreme displeasure over the host country's actions

The recall of an ambassador is the step just before breaking off diplomatic relations with a country completely.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Discussing what should and should not be said does not require an in person meeting back in the USA.

The recall of an ambassador is a serious step. There is no standard operating procedure historically on this type of action. It is done to show extreme displeasure over the host country's actions

The recall of an ambassador is the step just before breaking off diplomatic relations with a country completely.

You are wrong.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are wrong.

I am not wrong that recalling an ambassador historically is a final step before cutting off all diplomatic relations.

In this case, I don't think there will be a cut off of full diplomatic relations between the US and the DR. I think it is posturing.

The US is displaying its level of disagreement with the DR and other countries where ambassadors were recalled over Taiwan.

I think you are wrong that the recall was done to discuss what to do and what to say about this publicly by the ambassadors when they return. There was no reason to take a trip to the US for that discussion to take place.

Time will tell what happens next. Hopefully for the DR, this is one of the topics where his aids loyal to the US take the papers off Trump's desk so he does not react to them.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Another case of the empire loosing its influence.....the bullying just ain't working anymore....and that is a good thing....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another case of the empire loosing its influence.....the bullying just ain't working anymore....and that is a good thing....

I am absolutely certain that working with China instead of the US would be far better for the DR. Carry on.

(He said, jokingly).

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
How is Santo Domingo seeing this?

What's more important is . How is China seeing this. They are more than likely seeing it a an opportunity to influence the natives. With the equivalent of beads and trinkets. Cause we know the corrupt one love shinny objects.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It is very difficult to figure out what this administration's foreign policy is in almost any arena, and even more disturbing, to figure out who is making that policy. I would be surprised if Donald Trump even knows that the Ambassador to the DR has been recalled, and I would be doubly surprised if he cares. His limited ability to comprehend the consequences of China's broadening influence in the western hemisphere is more than troubling. He seems to think that military force will counteract any future long term encroachment. He is an idiot! I'm willing to bet that the recalls of the ambassadors were orchestrated totally within the State Department, and probably at no higher than the Deputy Secretary level with the rubber stamp approval of the Secretary of State. I would also be willing to bet that the ambassadors were 'recalled', and not simply consulted in theater, in order to increase the drama and have the theatrical effect that this administration is unfortunately known for.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
It is very difficult to figure out what this administration's foreign policy is in almost any arena, and even more disturbing, to figure out who is making that policy. I would be surprised if Donald Trump even knows that the Ambassador to the DR has been recalled, and I would be doubly surprised if he cares. His limited ability to comprehend the consequences of China's broadening influence in the western hemisphere is more than troubling. He seems to think that military force will counteract any future long term encroachment. He is an idiot! I'm willing to bet that the recalls of the ambassadors were orchestrated totally within the State Department, and probably at no higher than the Deputy Secretary level with the rubber stamp approval of the Secretary of State. I would also be willing to bet that the ambassadors were 'recalled', and not simply consulted in theater, in order to increase the drama and have the theatrical effect that this administration is unfortunately known for.

Bolding mine. That's why HE would do it. Drama. The U.S. embassy has run just fine several times for long periods without a career ambassador and even those that had no idea about the Dominican Republic.

Most of Latin America has been dealing with China for years but I think you are correct that China is now making more aggressive moves into the area. And why not? They know that they have the better deals and know when the times are right to move in. They plan ahead, study and know the situation and have the trained diplomats that can get things done...…. for China.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...rst-order-of-business-infrastructure-tourism/

China envoy’s first order of business: infrastructure, tourism

Santo Domingo.- China ambassador, Zhang Run, affirmed Friday that Beijing conducts surveys and collects information to launch investment, and bilateral cooperation projects.
He said the investments are currently in the preparatory phase and the impact that tourists from his country will have in the Dominican Republic.
The diplomat, who made the announcement during a visit to Senate president Reinaldo Pared, added that a series of investments are needed in the areas of infrastructure, transportation, as well as human resources, both to be prepared in the language and in the culture of the Asian country.

Wow, so they're gonna ship in chinese people? Well they got lots of em, and chinese fit perfectly in DR considering hygien levels of food and housing... only difference is they're not as promiscuous as the dominicans

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wow, so they're gonna ship in chinese people? Well they got lots of em, and chinese fit perfectly in DR considering hygien levels of food and housing... only difference is they're not as promiscuous as the dominicans

gee...now there are some charitable generalizations right there..

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005

Strange as Dominicans and Hispanics in general are some of the most clean and hygienic. I ve seem some Dominicans friends take three showers a day !!!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Wow, so they're gonna ship in chinese people?

Ignoring the unsavory cultural references...

This is the norm for chinese. They just ship everything: concrete, supplies, workers, etc. They'll even build apartments for their workers and leave them behind as part of the prize.

To be fair, the chinese have been burned in the past by trying to source supplies and labor locally.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Strange as Dominicans and Hispanics in general are some of the most clean and hygienic. I ve seem some Dominicans friends take three showers a day !!!

I'm like a cat around cold water (and showers). But, the locals have definitely shamed me into more than a few cold showers.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Uncle Sam is a hypocrite. We cut official ties with Taiwan over 39 years ago.
I don't understand all the GRAND STANDING.

The USA acknowledges the Chinese position with there being just one China.
Officially Taiwan is part of China. With this Second Joint Communiqué of the
U.S. and China, issued on January 1, 1979, the Carter Administration no longer
recognized Taiwan as a sovereign state, but continues to respect their culture and
their commerce and .... until this day....has good relations with the people of Taiwan.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
More coffee shop talk here.... Hello USA first must recall the fbi, cia . Drug inforcement that is inbedded in RD... like it or not .. USA controlls RD always has and always will ... end of story..... Have good Day

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Yes! That's what I mean; very clean people with clean kitchens and clean surroundings... just like the chinese...

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Back on Topic?

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2018/09/10/dominican-govt-downplays-recall-of-u-s-envoy/

Dominican Govt. downplays recall of U.S. envoy

Santo Domingo.- Foreign minister Miguel Vargas on Sun affirmed that relations between the Dominican Republic and the United States are “excellent.”
The official made the statement after the U.S. recalled its ambassador Robin Bernstein to Washington.
He said that among friendly and democratic countries, calling a diplomat for consultations is normal and must be respected.
“We continue to work firmly on the bilateral agenda, for the benefit of both peoples,” Vargas said in a statement on the agency website.
The surprise move by Washington -which included the recall of its ambassadors from Panama and El Salvador- comes as China’s first envoy to the Dominican Republic arrived on Wed.
Washington had expressed its dismay at the three LatAm countries’ decision to establish diplomatic ties with Beijing, forsaking decades of relations with Taipei.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
DR1 News

Robin Berstein recalled to Washington for consultations on Taiwan
On Friday, 7 September 2018, day after presenting credentials to President Danilo Medina, United States ambassador to the Dominican Republic, Robin Berstein, was called back to Washington for consultations, joining other recalled US diplomats in Panama and El Salvador. According to State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert, the purpose of these consultations will be to evaluate the decision by these countries to break off relations with Taiwan in favor of a full diplomatic relations with the People’s Republic of China. “Our three mission chiefs will meet with leaders of the United States government to discuss ways in which the United States can support strong institutions and economies that are independent and democratic in all of Central America and the Caribbean.

An editorial commentary in El Espia of Diario Libre on Monday, 10 September observes the US took 595 days to accredit an ambassador, but only one day to recall the ambassador.

In the Central American region, El Salvador was the latest to sign with People’s Republic of China over Taiwan, after the Dominican Republic did so on 1 May 2018, and Panama in 2017. Costa Rica had already signed with China in 2007. In the Central American region, Honduras, Nicaragua and Guatemala maintain diplomatic ties with the People’s Republic of China. In the Caribbean, only Belize, St Kitts, St Vincent, St Lucia and Haiti still recognize Taiwan.