Don’t drink and drive!!!

C

Caonabo

I guess it is based on good intentions. You get caught in Durban SA or most States on the east coast, your 1st offense with attorneys fees, fines, insurance rates, etc, will be between 5 and 10 thousand U.S. Don't pay it and you go to jail.
I have NEVER ever heard of anyone being fined or incarcerated here for drunk driving. I am sure it has happened, but it is rare.

I have never heard of it, but it is far beyond it's time.

C

Caonabo

The key will be if the kits require batteries.
If we do not drink and drive then how will we get home?
Drinking and driving is entrenched in Dominican culture and it not ending anytime soon.
Another great Dominican plan doomed to failure.
What is the issue here? A cop cannot tell if you are drunk?

"If we do not drink and drive then how will we get home?"

Walk.
Have a designated driver.
Take a taxi.
Take a mule.
Do not put others at risk for your gross negligence and lack of self-discipline.

E

El Rey de Mangu

"If we do not drink and drive then how will we get home?"

Walk.
Have a designated driver.
Take a taxi.
Take a mule.
Do not put others at risk for your gross negligence and lack of self-discipline.

When my kids were born, I stopped "going out" drinking. If I step out, it's always in a car service. I'm not taking anyone's father or mother, including my kids' father.

Z

zoomzx11

Extranjeros should be concerned about this more than 30 day stays.

I would be concerned but my list of concerns in the DR is full at the moment.
As long as you have a few pesos in your pocket there is little concern about being arrested.
The worry is that you kill yourself or someone else.
Just bring a DDD along (Dominican Designated Driver).

I

irishpaddy

Just like the Helmet Law ….Everyone has to wear one !!
Do you expect this new law to be enforced as stringently as the helmet law ?
In my opinion ..a lot of responsibility for the deaths caused by the Bad Driving in D.R. is in the hands of The Police for NOT enforcing the laws
How many times have people sped through a red light in front of cops and not a care is given

Z

zoomzx11

The DR will be implementing a new kit to test drivers for alcohol impairment in the roads.

The kits are very effective and little intrusive. Results are very accurate and are supported in court 100%.

Things are slowly moving along to change...

yeah right, the change is so slow and so slowly moving it is imperceptible except to persons with ESP.
Me? I do not see it.
What I do see is the government using computers to find ways to suck more money out of everyone with new regulation, and new taxes.
The political system in the DR works for the politicos not the citizens and certainly not the visitor victims.
No wonder the tourists are gone.
Jamaica is booming.

C

Caonabo

I would be concerned but my list of concerns in the DR is full at the moment.
As long as you have a few pesos in your pocket there is little concern about being arrested.
The worry is that you kill yourself or someone else.
Just bring a DDD along (Dominican Designated Driver).

Most people who mow down and murder innocents while pie eyed drunk do so because "their list of concerns" are too full. It is only after, once the damage is done, that they find space on their list for remorse and imposed redemption.

W

windeguy

I heard the same news a few years ago.

Yes we did. Lots of money was wasted on breathalyzers at that time.

We better start seeing results or PICHARDO is not going to be believed (as in the 30 day overstay thread, smart gun, laptops for all, etc, etc, etc discussions after that one hit wonder of The Metro revelation) .

E

El Rey de Mangu

We better start seeing results or PICHARDO is not going to be believed (as in the 30 day overstay thread, smart gun, laptops for all, etc, etc, etc discussions after that one hit wonder of The Metro revelation) .

PICHARDO, as a Dominican operative, gets paid per click for all of his propaganda content.

D

Derfish

Don't drink and drive in the DR. You will hit a pothole and spill your drink and it will be wasted instead of you!
Derfish

T

Tarheel

Who believes him now?

S

SKY

I am still waiting for the "cashless" DR that he predicted a few years ago. I guess it was hard to get the right machines in all the Calmados............................

L

lifeisgreat

Just like the Helmet Law ….Everyone has to wear one !!
Do you expect this new law to be enforced as stringently as the helmet law ?
In my opinion ..a lot of responsibility for the deaths caused by the Bad Driving in D.R. is in the hands of The Police for NOT enforcing the laws
How many times have people sped through a red light in front of cops and not a care is given

Let’s start by the cops wearing one to set good example....

H

Harleysrock

I think I will get one and test the police who pull me over.

L

lifeisgreat

I am still waiting for the "cashless" DR that he predicted a few years ago. I guess it was hard to get the right machines in all the Calmados............................
Technically he wasn’t wrong ...most are cashless ;)

J

JDJones

The DR will be implementing a new kit to test drivers for alcohol impairment in the roads.

The kits are very effective and little intrusive. Results are very accurate and are supported in court 100%.

Things are slowly moving along to change...

Pich.. on a somewhat related theme: When will we see 24/7 DIGISETT patrols and street presence?

They really are a sunrise to sunset group right now.

R

ramesses

Are these the same guys I buy beers for because they look so hot while working?

E

El Rey de Mangu

lol .. OK so they test a driver and he is drunk, then they will say as El Rey indicated pay us and go. If they don't have pesos they will just say go. I thought drinking and driving was a national pass time second only to baseball. At night every other moto driver has been drinking.

It's just another shakedown option - another scare and intimidation tactic.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I think I will get one and test the police who pull me over.

well, you know, it's a sliding bar, the legal limit. It's not published. another issue is getting the PN to be able to interpret the digital readout and units of measure :ermm: