Target Practice in the Dominican Republic ?

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
I was wondering,
When I was in the DR, unless you were with the
National Police and well connected, there was little chance of going hunting and target shooting,
I enjoyed hunting in the DR, and also target shooting,
and I wondered what it was like now ?
Is there such a thing as target shooting for lets say "Tourists" ?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
No problem, if your in SD just go to Barrio Capotillo any time between 1am and 4am, set up your targets, pop off a couple of clips, and run. :bandit:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
When my friends test a gun or target practice, we simply go into woods (away from houses) and fire away. Last time I fired a 357 magnum S&W on a palm tree. After firing 6 shots, I realized I didn't even make a dent into the wood. The wood is so thick that the bullet simply ricochets on to other direction. I am glad my friend was not standing to the side of the tree.
People usually go to fincas and empty out guns. I have seen this done all the time. What really freaks me out is when they are drunk and pull out guns. I was once in a BBQ party in a finca. Most were lawyers. Then someone put bottles in a lineup and next thing you know, everyone had guns and all fired at the bottles. You will be surprised to see how many lawyers and businessmen have guns under their belts.
azb

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
AZB said:
When my friends test a gun or target practice, we simply go into woods (away from houses) and fire away. Last time I fired a 357 magnum S&W on a palm tree. After firing 6 shots, I realized I didn't even make a dent into the wood. The wood is so thick that the bullet simply ricochets on to other direction. I am glad my friend was not standing to the side of the tree.
People usually go to fincas and empty out guns. I have seen this done all the time. What really freaks me out is when they are drunk and pull out guns. I was once in a BBQ party in a finca. Most were lawyers. Then someone put bottles in a lineup and next thing you know, everyone had guns and all fired at the bottles. You will be surprised to see how many lawyers and businessmen have guns under their belts.
azb

I could've told you that, AZB........damn palm trees, they're great for building stuff that needs to hold its own against storm winds, like telephone poles. In DR they do it for show. On my next trip, I think I'll talk to some of my buddies and go shoot some high caliber weapons in the countryside....there's people down there with shooting ranges in the basements.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Casa de Campo has a clay shooting range area. It's one of the best in the world, that's what Casa says. I like it, though I don't know if its the best in the world, but its pretty good.

This is better than killing some animal for enjoyments sake. Just my opinion.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Lurking

Criss Colon said:
"DominiCANS",Puerto RiCANS,and "JamaiCANS" are a lot of fun!! ;)
As I begin to fall more and more off the DR1 map, I have set my browsing radar on for Criss Colon's posts mainly, and I'm never disappointed.

"If your morning sucks, make sure your afternoon sucks too!"

Thanks for all the laughs CC.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is Gun Range in Santiago. It is on the road where the entrance to Camp David is. At the bottom. You would go past the entrance road to Camp David about 2 k. It is near a school. I have not been there in a year, but I would assume they are still open. You can buy ammo there, and they have targets, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are a couple of others

Centro Espa?ol has a clay and skeet facility
Amaprosan has a small bore range-mostly air rifles
And the Police have a range out in Herradura-small and big bore.

The problem here is the high cost of shells.

In the good ol' U S of A, the NRA has managed to get the US Army to subsidize rafle clubs and gun clubs so that when these people get into the armed forces they are gun savvy.

Every year, in this country, people are killed from shots fired into the air. It seems that too many people don't remember that what goes up has gotta come down. Remember I reported that I lost the windshield on our Volvo the day after the Aguilas won the final series? And I learned of a girl that got hit in the leg sitting on her porch....Bunch of A** holes... IMO!

And 99.999% can't shoot worth a damn!.

HB :(:(:(

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Straight outta West (by God!) Virginia.......

Hillbilly said:
In the good ol' U S of A, the NRA has managed to get the US Army to subsidize rafle clubs

That's the West Virginia in HB comin' out.......'rafle' clubs.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Every year, in this country, people are killed from shots fired into the air. It seems that too many people don't remember that what goes up has gotta come down. Remember I reported that I lost the windshield on our Volvo the day after the Aguilas won the final series? And I learned of a girl that got hit in the leg sitting on her porch....Bunch of A** holes... IMO!
So true, I was near the monument watching the last aguilas game. There were thousands of people in the monumento area and people packed in bars and resturants. When the santiago team won, people threw beer and cold water at each, fire crackers lit up the sky and then some drunk jerks took out their guns and fired in the air. I was surprised to see so many folks had guns and no one was reluctant to fire in the air, at a direction where thousands of people were already dancing in the streets. They only tucked their guns away when the security approached them, but by then their guns were empty any way.
AZB

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
Ammo was expensive when I was living there,
If it was even available, I used to reload .38 special and .45acp was hard to
get too, so was cartridges for shotguns, such as 12 guage and 16 guage,
Although in Puerto Plata, it was sold at a Libreria of all places.
And forget about buying a Remington 870 for $200 in la RD,
You will really have to cough up major money, it was expensive way back when,
and most likely Astronomical now.