To stay. 60 or 90 days -?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Hi!
It is a bit confusing. How many days are allowed to stay now without residence?
60 or 90 ?
Or it depends on nationality?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm confused as well.... Isn't this the same poster and same tread we covered a couple a weeks ago. Or, is it different in some way? IDK I'm confused

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The subject is covered every few weeks, often at very tedious length.

The length of the tourist visa does not depend on nationality.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...Nationality, good question..kind of no unless you are Haitian..never heard of one being charged for any kind of tourist visa?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
...Nationality, good question..kind of no unless you are Haitian..never heard of one being charged for any kind of tourist visa?

Dominican Republic has some deals with some nationality that can stay up to 90 days without Visa, some other come without payihng tourist card as Peruvians for example and Brazilian will come also without paying turist card when their congress confirm the deal, here already passed by congress and was aproved.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

Our friend told me that his country signed a sort of agreement with the DR gov. For its nationals to stay in the DR without visa up to 90 days.
I decided to double check his words here with more knowledgeable and more experienced experts of DR.1.
His travel agent told him this. And even showed something on paper.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
30 days on a tourist card.

You pay the exit fine if you stay longer than 30 days.

And how long may one stay after 30 days with paying the exit fine? Before been considered as "being in the country illegally".
Forever?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Only nationals from certain countries can come in using a Tourist Card. These include the US, Canada and all European countries. Other nationalities require a visa to enter as tourists. There is a link below for the page on the DGII site which shows which nationalities can enter using a Tourist Card and which need a visa (scroll down for the list):

https://dgii.gov.do/sobreTarjetaTurista/Paginas/default.aspx

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The DGII page makes it clear that if anyone uses the tourist card to enter the country and then work or make money, they can be deported immediately, according to law 199-67. I think most people believe that the vast majority of deportations are because of illegal working and not because of staying more than 30 days on a tourist card.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi!
It is a bit confusing. How many days are allowed to stay now without residence?
60 or 90 ?
Or it depends on nationality?

Many, but not all, nationalities can enter on a tourist card. As was pointed out there are a some exceptions in that list on the Migracion web site : https://dgii.gov.do/sobreTarjetaTurista/Paginas/default.aspx

As many will be happy to point out: Who cares? Just stay as long as you want. That extra time, as in over 30 days on a tourist card, will mean you are illegally in the country, but no matter, just pay the fee (the fee has no basis for existing in DR law) for the length of your overstay as you leave. And there is actually a law that says you can drive for 90 days legally on a foreign license. So your license is good from 31 to 90 days even if you are illegally in the DR. What a country! Consistency in laws is not a strong point here.

So far staying as long as you want and paying the exit fee works for most (white or North American/EU) people.

Another common response is, "Nobody has every been denied re-entry to the DR for only previously overstaying on a tourist card." Which of course they cannot prove is true, but "they" certainly do believe it. They might ask some Venezuelans if overstaying multiple times would work for them. So far it works for white people very well.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
here we go again ........ let me get my rose color glasses......this horse has gotten beaten more than sea biscuit....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Seabiscuit, (foaled 1933), American racehorse (Thoroughbred) that in six seasons (1935–40) won 33 of 89 races and a total of $437,730, a record for American Thoroughbreds (broken 1942). His unlikely success proved a welcome diversion to millions during the Great Depression, and he became a national phenomenon

Not beaten that often Black Knight !!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...When you leave the DR, at the airport ,immigration puts your passport number in their computer...the computer then tells them how long you have overstayed and the amount of the fee...they will want that fee in American $$$$….where that fee in American $$$$ then goes is not clear.....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
...When you leave the DR, at the airport ,immigration puts your passport number in their computer...the computer then tells them how long you have overstayed and the amount of the fee...they will want that fee in American $$$$….where that fee in American $$$$ then goes is not clear.....

On your receipt, whether you pay by cash, debit, or credit card, it clearly states on the very top, that the transaction is from and for the DGII, Dirección General de Impuestos Internos. Aside from your receipt, your personal financial institution will reflect this transaction as such.
For those persons concerned that the "cash money" might be "disappearing" into a pocket or purse, utilize the debit/credit card option. Regardless, you ALWAYS get a receipt. Retain for your records.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I am always given the option of $$ or pesos and usually pay in pesos.
There is actually an advantage to paying the overstay fee when flying out of Santiago. When you enter the line and they see you have to pay an overstay fee (I usually just tell the person working the start of the line, they tell you to go to the booth on the far right to pay and then get stamped. You get to pass the long line.

Status
Not open for further replies.