To stay. 60 or 90 days -?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly - like Monopoly... Go To Jail card

Go directly to payment booth - do not pass GO....

Fastest way out of town !!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Exactly - like Monopoly... Go To Jail card

Go directly to payment booth - do not pass GO....

Fastest way out of town !!

Well actually it is more like VIP service. You don't have to wait in line with everyone else. In Santo Domingo you have to go over to the booth at the far right, pay and THEN go get in the back of the line with everyone else.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I am always given the option of $$ or pesos and usually pay in pesos.
There is actually an advantage to paying the overstay fee when flying out of Santiago. When you enter the line and they see you have to pay an overstay fee (I usually just tell the person working the start of the line, they tell you to go to the booth on the far right to pay and then get stamped. You get to pass the long line.
It doesn't work that way at POP though. Go to the booth on the far right,pay the fine then go back and see the folks in the other booths,makes no sense.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
On your receipt, whether you pay by cash, debit, or credit card, it clearly states on the very top, that the transaction is from and for the DGII, Dirección General de Impuestos Internos. Aside from your receipt, your personal financial institution will reflect this transaction as such.
For those persons concerned that the "cash money" might be "disappearing" into a pocket or purse, utilize the debit/credit card option. Regardless, you ALWAYS get a receipt. Retain for your records.

..was never given any option but cash...and was always told usa dollars are best, at STI......

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...and yes after paying.. I was VIP to the front of the next line, after all I payed for it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
..was never given any option but cash...and was always told usa dollars are best, at STI......

Are you confusing "cash only" for the former $10 tourist card upon entry (which is now included within your flight cost), with the overstay fee? Of my associates who tend to stay past 30 days, they ALL pay via plastic. No paper money. CARDnet was installed ages ago, and is readily available at the airports.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Have you heard about the special room they have for the "whales of overstaying" ? You can pay in pesos, cards, no problem. You need a minimum of 5 year overstay and they bring you to a plush, brocaded wall room with table service.
It's all done very nice and they show their appreciation with certificate plaque and a special stamp on your passport restarting the clock.

Yours in Humor,
Johne

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I think any agent stating cash only was looking for beer/lunch money. I don't think it is so easy now for them to pocket the money but we know it happened in the past.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Cash is King everywhere ... it's xmas time that why everyone is smiling when you pay your exit fee... more money for the people at the top...last time i left the country the colonel gave me his number and told me if I have any problems with overstaying to call him you are perfectly legal to overstay just pay the exit fee...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Many, but not all, nationalities can enter on a tourist card. As was pointed out there are a some exceptions in that list on the Migracion web site : https://dgii.gov.do/sobreTarjetaTurista/Paginas/default.aspx

As many will be happy to point out: Who cares? Just stay as long as you want. That extra time, as in over 30 days on a tourist card, will mean you are illegally in the country, but no matter, just pay the fee (the fee has no basis for existing in DR law) for the length of your overstay as you leave. And there is actually a law that says you can drive for 90 days legally on a foreign license. So your license is good from 31 to 90 days even if you are illegally in the DR. What a country! Consistency in laws is not a strong point here.

So far staying as long as you want and paying the exit fee works for most (white or North American/EU) people.

Another common response is, "Nobody has every been denied re-entry to the DR for only previously overstaying on a tourist card." Which of course they cannot prove is true, but "they" certainly do believe it. They might ask some Venezuelans if overstaying multiple times would work for them. So far it works for white people very well.

Windy. There may be a caveat for the law allowing the use of foreign drivers licenses for 90 days. The car rental staff tell me my foreign drivers license is good for 90 days but they restrict rentals to 28 days for tourists because the third party liability insurance they offer their clients is only good for 30 days. If overstayers wish to rent after the tourist visa expires, they require local insurance.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy. There may be a caveat for the law allowing the use of foreign drivers licenses for 90 days. The car rental staff tell me my foreign drivers license is good for 90 days but they restrict rentals to 28 days for tourists because the third party liability insurance they offer their clients is only good for 30 days. If overstayers wish to rent after the tourist visa expires, they require local insurance.

An interesting detail I had not heard about. I will ask someone I know who has a rental business if they do the same.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

All they do is write new 30 day contracts. The renter goes to the office, car gets checked over and new contract is prepared and signed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All they do is write new 30 day contracts. The renter goes to the office, car gets checked over and new contract is prepared and signed.

That is certainly different than not allowing a rental after a tourist visa expires, which is how Ecoman1949 explained the requirement to have local insurance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Until we shipped our car down, that’s exactly what we did with Avis. I booked back-to-back one month rentals (online from USA), stopped in after each month, new paperwork, same car. Both of us on contracts as drivers.

Now, admittedly, in our case there is a separate question. Mr AE is a dual DR/US citizen, but he only has a NJ drivers license. So......he’s never illegal in DR, but is his license invalid after 90 days? He did have a DR license, still has it, but it expired in 1977. :laugh:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
...Now, admittedly, in our case there is a separate question. Mr AE is a dual DR/US citizen, but he only has a NJ drivers license. So......he’s never illegal in DR, but is his license invalid after 90 days? He did have a DR license, still has it, but it expired in 1977. :laugh:

I would love to hear the excuse he gives when he tries to renew it. :laugh:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
That is certainly different than not allowing a rental after a tourist visa expires, which is how Ecoman1949 explained the requirement to have local insurance.
I’ve rented her for yrs before I bought car some wanted renewal after month some didn’t care so depends on policy they
Hold goes for everyone not only VIP overstayers;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Until we shipped our car down, that’s exactly what we did with Avis. I booked back-to-back one month rentals (online from USA), stopped in after each month, new paperwork, same car. Both of us on contracts as drivers.

Now, admittedly, in our case there is a separate question. Mr AE is a dual DR/US citizen, but he only has a NJ drivers license. So......he’s never illegal in DR, but is his license invalid after 90 days? He did have a DR license, still has it, but it expired in 1977. :laugh:

According to a DR "transit law" which was quoted in the thread about overstaying, a foreign license is valid for up to 90 days. It appears this is not enforced.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

this makes sense to me....
and the fact that not all companies know this - or abide by it -- also makes sense

Proceed at your peril.....

In this country , the visitor / tourist needs to know the rules....
ask for a new policy or not.... your call.

Not easy when nobody has a rulebook !!

hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.