Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
This has been discussed several hundred times in the past several months, across numerous thread lines.
Higher positive testings, are directly related to more testings being performed.
In regards to deaths, are the persons who are passing doing so because of Covid-19, or are they merely testing positive for Covid-19 afterwards?
You have made your decision to stay away. This is good for you. Keep sending the Western Union remittances though, this is good for the RD economy.

Today's tests came with a 32% positivity rate. I don't think we can blame more testing in this case.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Today's tests came with a 32% positivity rate. I don't think we can blame more testing in this case.
The DR is now tied in with the US. As it looks now only Americans can travel here. It may be the right policy but we can’t do anything about what the EU, Canada, UK and other countries then decide regarding travel from and to the DR. We can claim it’s a hoax this Covid virus and do what ever we want and it may turn out to be the right thing. I have no idea. Just have to adapt.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
For all of those truly concerned, worried, anxious, scared, disturbed, perturbed, troubled, bothered, frightened, afraid, fearful, nervous, panicky, agitated, or alarmed regarding Covid-19 and current percentage positivity rates here in the RD, there are two simple solutions:
1. Leave.
2. Do not come.
All airports are now open, and international flights are departing.
Have a safe flight.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This has been discussed several hundred times in the past several months, across numerous thread lines.
Higher positive testings, are directly related to more testings being performed.
In regards to deaths, are the persons who are passing doing so because of Covid-19, or are they merely testing positive for Covid-19 afterwards?
You have made your decision to stay away. This is good for you. Keep sending the Western Union remittances though, this is good for the RD economy.
My friend Alberto passed in Santiago yesterday from Covid-19. He was 81 years old , overweight, had beaten cancer several times. Absolutely nobody else in his family has tested positive as of yet.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Do you think it has anything to do with a Presidential election tomorrow?

Yes, I think everything happening right now has to do with the presidential election tomorrow, mainly the ridiculous (in my opinion) decision to open eveeeerything this week, scraping the plan to gradually open things up little by little, or maintain any rules about social distancing whatsoever.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My friend Alberto passed in Santiago yesterday from Covid-19. He was 81 years old , overweight, had beaten cancer several times. Absolutely nobody else in his family has tested positive as of yet.

Condolences upon your loss.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes, I think everything happening right now has to do with the presidential election tomorrow, mainly the ridiculous (in my opinion) decision to open eveeeerything this week, scraping the plan to gradually open things up little by little, or maintain any rules about social distancing whatsoever.

What do you say to those that need their jobs to finally resume to earn an income to survive, and support their families?
Stay closed because some expatriates residing within an Everything _________ town are concerned about Covid-19 infecting them?

Reactions: Garyexpat

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Condolences upon your loss.
Thank you. We have been evaluating students, with permission from the government, following all the health protocols, plus accepting inscriptions of students, only for kinder and prepremario , 200 kids in two days. Parents are anxious to get life back to normal, well as close to it as possible.

Reactions: Garyexpat

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you. We have been evaluating students, with permission from the government, following all the health protocols, plus accepting inscriptions of students, only for kinder and prepremario , 200 kids in two days. Parents are anxious to get life back to normal, well as close to it as possible.

With that many new inscriptions, perhaps the parents are more comforted with the protocols your school is able to proceed with and implement as an institution, as opposed to others.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How soon before all those international arrivals of yesterday, today and tomorrow start complaining that they can not purchase alcohol until Monday?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With that many new inscriptions, perhaps the parents are more comforted with the protocols your school is able to proceed with and implement as an institution, as opposed to others.
The local catholic schools have been very active as well. It is difficult for parents to fork out money when there is no concrete date for starting and no real vision for what it will look like. We are trying to follow the protocols that the Danish school system is using and the kids are very cooperative with this. Pre-kinder might be a little more difficult, 3 and 4 year olds are like herding cats.

Reactions: aarhus

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The local catholic schools have been very active as well. It is difficult for parents to fork out money when there is no concrete date for starting and no real vision for what it will look like. We are trying to follow the protocols that the Danish school system is using and the kids are very cooperative with this. Pre-kinder might be a little more difficult, 3 and 4 year olds are like herding cats.

Several of my employees have been inquiring into distance learning to start the new year, as how they finished the last one.
They are concerned about the requirement of having to send their little ones into a facility with a mask on, especially in this climate.
Troublesome issue for adults, I could only imagine it for children.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Several of my employees have been inquiring into distance learning to start the new year, as how they finished the last one.
They are concerned about the requirement of having to send their little ones into a facility with a mask on, especially in this climate.
Troublesome issue for adults, I could only imagine it for children.
I agree, it will be an issue. We have overhead fans in all classrooms and a/c in our large upstairs rooms. The way the school is orientated , it takes advantage of afternoon breezes but still it can be hot but Jarabacoa is almost always less hot than the coast or La Vega by about 4-5 degrees. Distance learning doesn't work very well with children that have not learned to read, it is fine for motivated students that already know how to read.

Reactions: Caonabo and aarhus

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
What do you say to those that need their jobs to finally resume to earn an income to survive, and support their families?
Stay closed because some expatriates residing within an Everything _________ town are concerned about Covid-19 infecting them?

I said I disagreed with everything suddenly opening up all at once on July 1st instead of sticking with phases or additional rules. I did not suggest keeping everything closed down. In fact, I think opening the businesses is probably the best overall choice for the country, balancing risk of the virus and economy. However, are all these large groups of people gathering for the sole purpose of partying, without masks, helping the economy and all those jobs? No. So, what I'm actually suggesting is there could have been more rules put into place about social distancing as we move forward instead of suddenly acting like everything is back to normal (other than masks) Examples suggestions: no groups larger than 10, continuing having limits to number of people inside a business at once, etc. Re: your last time.. I understand maybe that fits for some people here. However, you're talking to the wrong person if you think my big concern is covid affecting me personally. I'm 35 years old with no underlying health issues and haven't worried about it affecting me since it arrived..... but I do have a school of 150 students, of whom about 99% of them at least visit (and many live with) their grandparents over age 65 every week, so jumping to open things now instead of gradually between now and September makes me pretty concerned for what the upcoming school year will look like and how it might affect my students families / grandparents.

Reactions: colmcb and aarhus

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I said I disagreed with everything suddenly opening up all at once on July 1st instead of sticking with phases or additional rules. I did not suggest keeping everything closed down. In fact, I think opening the businesses is probably the best overall choice for the country, balancing risk of the virus and economy. However, are all these large groups of people gathering for the sole purpose of partying, without masks, helping the economy and all those jobs? No. So, what I'm actually suggesting is there could have been more rules put into place about social distancing as we move forward instead of suddenly acting like everything is back to normal (other than masks) Examples suggestions: no groups larger than 10, continuing having limits to number of people inside a business at once, etc. Re: your last time.. I understand maybe that fits for some people here. However, you're talking to the wrong person if you think my big concern is covid affecting me personally. I'm 35 years old with no underlying health issues and haven't worried about it affecting me since it arrived..... but I do have a school of 150 students, of whom about 99% of them at least visit (and many live with) their grandparents over age 65 every week, so jumping to open things now instead of gradually between now and September makes me pretty concerned for what the upcoming school year will look like and how it might affect my students families / grandparents.
Everything is not open. Schools are not open and guidelines are still being worked out. Denmark has had elementary schools open for almost three months and no increase in covid cases. Sweden never did close their schools. I was in eight different businesses in Santiago today. Everyone of them required masks and all but one required temperature reading and hans cleaned with disinfectant. All but one were following social distancing.

Reactions: Brendan Hubley

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde...I assume this is your opinion only and not based on verifiable sources of information that is out there. Am I right?
Reports are coming in that antibodies are lasting a very short time in people that have been exposed to (as in had some level) of CV19
That is the first piece of bad news that was presented in a Canadian newspaper I read recently.

I will ask you a question based upon CV19 being a corona virus: For what Corona Virus has an effective vaccine been developed?

Reactions: CaribeDigital

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Aah,
You're catching on Windy,
Indeed the US is still in the first wave and their citizens are now arriving in the DR.
What will happen throughout summer and in the new flu and pneumonia season which begins as early a August
And in the winter season is anyones guess.
A new vaccine will not be developed in the short term.

It seems that people have tired of prudence and prevention and are now going to a
Forced infection rate and herd immunity, which will be long off.
I'm glad that people are so brave and strong.

Don't forget to tell the 20 year olds and children which have been infected.
We'll continue the body count.
Ask the people in NY, Italy and Spain how funny it was!
I knew from day one that a virus this contagious would not go anywhere if there was no herd immunity and/or no effective vaccine.
What I am seeing now is that there is no long term immunity and little chance a vaccine will be developed.

After the world tried shutdowns for months and failed, none of that is surprising to me at all. What more "catching on" do I need now?

Reactions: Clandestino

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Everything is not open. Schools are not open and guidelines are still being worked out. Denmark has had elementary schools open for almost three months and no increase in covid cases. Sweden never did close their schools. I was in eight different businesses in Santiago today. Everyone of them required masks and all but one required temperature reading and hans cleaned with disinfectant. All but one were following social distancing.

Yes, sorry, not everything everything... I am aware schools are closed.. I am the director of one as I mentioned in my post. My concern with schools is that here in the DR (unlike Sweden and Denmark), most students (at least at my school) either live with their elderly grandparents or spend a lot of time with them weekly. However, as far as everything suddenly open, I meant more the big crowds without limits in the parques or bars, and businesses seemingly completely back to usual without restrictions other than masks. However, it does sound like Santiago has things more under control than here in Cabrera. Yes, masks are required here but honestly that's about it anywhere I've been as far as social distancing.

I am certainly not one of the people saying, "keep it all closed". In fact, I am very much hoping schools can open in September. However, my concern is how quickly it seemed to go from curfew, people going to businesses as needed, small groups only... to boom, the town as busy as I have ever seen it the past two days, huge huge crowds (including indoor crowds) and no social distancing (but I do admit this is only judged on Cabrera). And I feel the only reason these huge indoor crowds are being allowed is because of elections (even though not all of the crowds I have seen are election related) because otherwise, why allow it? Why now? Why so soon and suddenly? That part is completely unnecessary for jobs and the economy right now but I am aware, completely necessary for elections.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Yes, sorry, not everything everything... I am aware schools are closed.. I am the director of one as I mentioned in my post. My concern with schools is that here in the DR (unlike Sweden and Denmark), most students (at least at my school) either live with their elderly grandparents or spend a lot of time with them weekly. However, as far as everything suddenly open, I meant more the big crowds without limits in the parques or bars, and businesses seemingly completely back to usual without restrictions other than masks. However, it does sound like Santiago has things more under control than here in Cabrera. Yes, masks are required here but honestly that's about it anywhere I've been as far as social distancing.

I am certainly not one of the people saying, "keep it all closed". In fact, I am very much hoping schools can open in September. However, my concern is how quickly it seemed to go from curfew, people going to businesses as needed, small groups only... to boom, the town as busy as I have ever seen it the past two days, huge huge crowds (including indoor crowds) and no social distancing (but I do admit this is only judged on Cabrera). And I feel the only reason these huge indoor crowds are being allowed is because of elections (even though not all of the crowds I have seen are election related) because otherwise, why allow it? Why now? Why so soon and suddenly? That part is completely unnecessary for jobs and the economy right now but I am aware, completely necessary for elections.
Maybe it is just to get past the elections just like last time and then new policies will be announced afterwards. Opening economy and keep border open but with more restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.